Jags jag things up again; send Leonard Fournette packing

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Well, what’s the overall feeling of the Jags draft?

Hendo - The more I read, the more @ltraz is right. The scouts watched his tape and realized the safety play made him look bad when it wasn't his fault to begin with. Also, he is described as an incredibly low maintenance player. They won't have Ramsey type bytching and whining. Grade - A

Chaisson - It depends on what kind of defense they will run. There is a lot of talk the jags are switching to a 3-4. If so, I love this pick. He will be perfect. He needs to stay healthy though. Grade - B+

Shenault Jr. - I admit to knowing nothing about him. All I know if from reading scouting reports. He is arguably the best WR in the draft after the catch. He plays receiver with the build and running style of a big RB. He's twitchy and fast. So why did he go in the 2nd? He has been injured 3 years in a row. Because of the health risk? Grade - C

DaVon Hamilton - Big physical run blocker. Should work in a 4-3 or 3-4. It is unlikely he will be rushing the passer. But, in a 3-4, they won't need him to. Jags desperately needed big butts. He will help improve that 31st ranked run D. Grade - B

Ben Bartch - I don't watch D-3 football. All I can go on is what scouts write. Basically, he is an elite athlete with the physical frame to play at a high level in the NFL. He has good technique. But, he needs to get stronger and will no doubt need time to adjust from playing d-3 to NFL talent. Boom or bust pick. I like that kind of 0-line pick in the 4th round. Grade - B

Josiah Scott - Here's what I'll say, if he is 6'0 instead of 5'9, he is a first round pick. Nickel CBs are basically starters these days. He will make an excellent one. Grade - A

Quarterman - Picked for his leadership skills as much as play in order to fix the locker room issues plaguing the jags. I think he fits in perfectly with a switch to a 3-4. However, he is probably more of a two down LB. Another pick to help fix the 31st ranked run D. Grade - C

Daniel Thomas - Fast and athletic with good range. So, why is he going in the 5th? Because of what is between the ears. He is a better version of Stiner. All that speed goes to waste because he doesn't see things fast enough. Can the coaches fix that? For a 5th round pick? Grade - B

I won't comment on the rest because they are guys that will simply be fighting for roster spots. Overall, it seems to really be a bunch of boom or bust picks. I like it as long as they are switching to a 3-4. Otherwise, we will be undersized and getting steamrolled again.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
@maheo30 Shenault might’ve been the 1st WR taken if not for the injuries. Ive watched him a lot. When he was healthy, pretty much unstoppable. But that’s the risk with him.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hendo - The more I read, the more @ltraz is right. The scouts watched his tape and realized the safety play made him look bad when it wasn't his fault to begin with. Also, he is described as an incredibly low maintenance player. They won't have Ramsey type bytching and whining. Grade - A

Chaisson - It depends on what kind of defense they will run. There is a lot of talk the jags are switching to a 3-4. If so, I love this pick. He will be perfect. He needs to stay healthy though. Grade - B+

Shenault Jr. - I admit to knowing nothing about him. All I know if from reading scouting reports. He is arguably the best WR in the draft after the catch. He plays receiver with the build and running style of a big RB. He's twitchy and fast. So why did he go in the 2nd? He has been injured 3 years in a row. Because of the health risk? Grade - C

DaVon Hamilton - Big physical run blocker. Should work in a 4-3 or 3-4. It is unlikely he will be rushing the passer. But, in a 3-4, they won't need him to. Jags desperately needed big butts. He will help improve that 31st ranked run D. Grade - B

Ben Bartch - I don't watch D-3 football. All I can go on is what scouts write. Basically, he is an elite athlete with the physical frame to play at a high level in the NFL. He has good technique. But, he needs to get stronger and will no doubt need time to adjust from playing d-3 to NFL talent. Boom or bust pick. I like that kind of 0-line pick in the 4th round. Grade - B

Josiah Scott - Here's what I'll say, if he is 6'0 instead of 5'9, he is a first round pick. Nickel CBs are basically starters these days. He will make an excellent one. Grade - A

Quarterman - Picked for his leadership skills as much as play in order to fix the locker room issues plaguing the jags. I think he fits in perfectly with a switch to a 3-4. However, he is probably more of a two down LB. Another pick to help fix the 31st ranked run D. Grade - C

Daniel Thomas - Fast and athletic with good range. So, why is he going in the 5th? Because of what is between the ears. He is a better version of Stiner. All that speed goes to waste because he doesn't see things fast enough. Can the coaches fix that? For a 5th round pick? Grade - B

I won't comment on the rest because they are guys that will simply be fighting for roster spots. Overall, it seems to really be a bunch of boom or bust picks. I like it as long as they are switching to a 3-4. Otherwise, we will be undersized and getting steamrolled again.
Fantastic write up, thanks for taking the time. Overall sounds like we had a B+/A- draft

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
@maheo30 Shenault might’ve been the 1st WR taken if not for the injuries. Ive watched him a lot. When he was healthy, pretty much unstoppable. But that’s the risk with him.
My initial reaction when he was picked was "who?", so I did a little research. The consensus of the rankings lists that I read had him as the best available WR at that pick. I'm good with it on that basis.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
My initial reaction when he was picked was "who?", so I did a little research. The consensus of the rankings lists that I read had him as the best available WR at that pick. I'm good with it on that basis.

Considering his injury history, to go that high speaks volumes about what kind of talent he is. He had a first round grade. Let's hope he stays healthy.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Considering his injury history, to go that high speaks volumes about what kind of talent he is. He had a first round grade. Let's hope he stays healthy.
Tua had a lot of injuries.

Maybe he doesn't get the good HGH in Colorado that he will in the NFL?

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Fantastic write up, thanks for taking the time. Overall sounds like we had a B+/A- draft

So it doesn't seem like I was being homerish, the draft expert for "The Athletic," Dane Brugler, ranked all 32 classes from top to bottom. He had the jags 5th. They are getting high marks from all around.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
I thought the Jag's draft was surprisingly solid.
Agreed. My only complaint is that they didn't take one of the top four OL. The left side combo of Robinson and Norwell is not good enough, nor is Cann at RG.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Agreed. My only complaint is that they didn't take one of the top four OL. The left side combo of Robinson and Norwell is not good enough, nor is Cann at RG.

with so many holes something was gonna be left out.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I looked the percentage of draft picks from round 1 all the way down to 6 who were still in the league 3 years later. Regardless of the round it's not pretty. I can see where the Patriot's strategy, trade a few for a lot might not be a bad idea. The Jags this year had a lot, so maybe thing will turn out OK in spite of themselves.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014

I liked Thomas and Wills. I didn't want my jags to have anything to do with Becton and certainly not Wirfs. He will end up at guard in the NFL.

Oscar the G

Nov 7, 2018
I liked Thomas and Wills. I didn't want my jags to have anything to do with Becton and certainly not Wirfs. He will end up at guard in the NFL.
Agree with most of that, but if wirfs ends up a great guard i think that's still a win. Becton seems boom/bust.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Thomas was supposedly the most pro-ready of the four. I thought Wills was right behind him, and he was available at no. 9. If the Jags had picked Wills, moved Cam over to left guard, and perhaps Norvell to right guard, that combination might have made for a much-improved wall for Gardner. Add a solid wide receiver, pick up Andy Dalton as an experienced back-up, and the Jags might have had a pretty good offense. Having said that, they still might. I can't criticize them for picking Henderson. They needed a shutdown CB, too.

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
I'd like to see if the Jags will keep Telvin Smith on the retired/reserve list after getting busted with an underaged girl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.