Jim McElwain's Introductory Press Conference

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I like his laid back personality. That being said, it's all about the wins and losses and hardware in the trophy case. As Meyer proved, you can get away with murder so long as you're winning ;)

Phineus Maximus

Founding Member
Thread Killer
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just watched it. I like this guy. Jovial, yet matter-of-fact. First impression is that he can get it done.
:chomp: :thumbup:

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I like him. Let's go kick some butt.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I Have No Friends :(;n126741 said:
I like his laid back personality. That being said, it's all about the wins and losses and hardware in the trophy case. As Meyer proved, you can get away with attempted murder so long as you're winning ;)
FIFY.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
He was funny and self-effacing, which appeared to be genuine, but considering the angst around the program lately it wouldn't surprise me if he made an extra effort to be that way. Joked with the press, too. Always good to be on the right side of them.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
aka;n126826 said:
He was funny and self-effacing, which appeared to be genuine, but considering the angst around the program lately it wouldn't surprise me if he made an extra effort to be that way. Joked with the press, too. Always good to be on the right side of them.

I went back and looked at a few of his pressers from his time at CSU. It appears as though that is just the way he is. I have hope. Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and a good thing never dies.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
New emote! It displays Mac's power!

:mac:

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
First and foremost, I think coach Mac is going to win some football games here.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n126819 said:

The dilapidated big mac made me hungry. The new one doesn't have the same effect. I guess it just doesn't look real.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Here are my thoughts.
  1. Matchen and Foley need to relax on the patterned suits. We (at least I) want our players who score to "act like they've been there before" and I'd like our president and AD to dress like they've been there before. :facepalm: Can someone help them buy a suit that fits well, is moderate and classic in it's style, and doesn't make them look like pimps. :facepalm:
  2. Mac seems like a likable guy. Casual. I hope he's not too casual.
  3. He didn't talk much football - at least specifics. He didn't give any insight into his plan, the kind of offense he wants to run, the way he would build the program (other than via "relationships"), or any specifics (including timelines) about staff.
  4. Like him or not, successful or not, Muschamp did lay out more of a plan in his initial presser (the Florida way, pro-style offense, blue-collar program, etc.)
  5. Like him or not, Muschamp got lots of laughs in pressers - even more near the end. That leads me to agree that...
  6. Mac seems to feel less pressure (like he indicated). I wonder if Muschamp was to tight or affected others to be too tight.
  7. His praise of UF, Foley, and Muschamp seemed genuine. I appreciate all three and think all three deserve it.
  8. His laugh sounds like Madden ...or at least Frank Caliendo's impression of Madden. That'll stick with me and drive me nuts. So...I'm looking to make some of you miserable with me during his pressers.
  9. I hope Mac knocks it out of the park recruiting and then never loses a game. ...ever.
:chomp:

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
EuroGator;n126927 said:
Here are my thoughts.
  1. Matchen and Foley need to relax on the patterned suits. We (at least I) want our players who score to "act like they've been there before" and I'd like our president and AD to dress like they've been there before. :facepalm: Can someone help them buy a suit that fits well, is moderate and classic in it's style, and doesn't make them look like pimps. :facepalm:

This is your first point? Dude, you really need to get out of Europe and reclaim your man card. Just sayin...

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I Have No Friends :(;n126935 said:
This is your first point? Dude, you really need to get out of Europe and reclaim your man card. Just sayin...
  1. Their suits were chronologically first.
  2. I said nothing after the "we fired Boom" conference when Foley wore something like that.
  3. My man card is non-revokable valid for a life-time.
:woohoo:

:proud:

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Well I do wonder about the suits that Foley wears, they look very poor to me, but perhaps they are trendy????

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
EuroGator;n126927 said:
[*]Like him or not, successful or not, Muschamp did lay out more of a plan in his initial presser (the Florida way, pro-style offense, blue-collar program, etc.)
[*]Like him or not, Muschamp got lots of laughs in pressers - even more near the end.
Muschamp laid out a plan and it all turned out to be BS. Mac seems to want to see what he has before he starts spouting silly coachspeak.

And Muschamp got lots of laughs? Admittedly I stopped watching his disastrous, cringe-worthy pressers two years ago, but I don't remember him ever getting many laughs. Genuine laughs, anyway. Maybe the press was humoring him or perhaps even laughing AT him.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n126944 said:
Muschamp laid out a plan and it all turned out to be BS.
Exactly. "Florida Way" is a just as much of a throwaway as "relationships". Chimp said "multiple", "pro-style", and "balanced". He also mentioned building the lines, because it's a line of scrimmage league. All of which were lies.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n126944 said:
Muschamp laid out a plan and it all turned out to be BS. Mac seems to want to see what he has before he starts spouting silly coachspeak.

And Muschamp got lots of laughs? Admittedly I stopped watching his disastrous, cringe-worthy pressers two years ago, but I don't remember him ever getting many laughs. Genuine laughs, anyway. Maybe the press was humoring him or perhaps even laughing AT him.

Obviously Muschamp didn't succeed, but that doesn't mean that he didn't have the right goals. I would rather a coach that has never been a head coach come in with a plan than not. I'd like him to evaluate also, but if you're bringing a blank slate, that's a problem. I'm not saying that Mac's bringing a blank slate, but rather saying that Muschamp wasn't wrong for having or explaining his.

With all due respect, with regard to Muschamp's pressers, if you didn't watch them, you have nothing to say about them.

However, like you said, this is a great day, so let's celebrate what's good.

Go Gators

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
EuroGator;n126958 said:
Obviously Muschamp didn't succeed, but that doesn't mean that he didn't have the right goals. I would rather a coach that has never been a head coach come in with a plan than not. I'd like him to evaluate also, but if you're bringing a blank slate, that's a problem. I'm not saying that Mac's bringing a blank slate, but rather saying that Muschamp wasn't wrong for having or explaining his.

With all due respect, with regard to Muschamp's pressers, if you didn't watch them, you have nothing to say about them.

However, like you said, this is a great day, so let's celebrate what's good.

Go Gators

So why do you keep referencing WM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.