Recruiting Joe Burrow leaves OSU and becomes a corndog

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
1. After spending a good bit of time on bucknut sites to get a feel for Burrow (now I'm sick), I came away with them feeling their QB situation is not good. They view their 2 guys (Burrow and Haskins) being in the bottom half of the tiny10.

2. Burrow is referred to as a captain checkdown type who refuses to push the ball down the field. If true, he'd fit in perfectly at UF. 3:

3. He was the backup as a RSF but lost the job. This coming season, it appears Haskins has to lose the job and Meyer is already on record as saying Martell will be a part of the offensive game plan since he's such a playmaker running the ball. Meaning, after 4 years, he's 3rd string.

Why again am I supposed to want this guy? I watched his tape. What I could find that is. lol. I wasn't impressed. He's an upgrade over Franks and Trask sure. But, all I saw was a solid career backup. I don't want that taking up a scholly or snaps from EJ. If OSU fans don't care for him, why should I?
I don't think we have a solid backup QB now, so getting one is an upgrade to the position and the roster.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think we have a solid backup QB now, so getting one is an upgrade to the position and the roster.
Idk about that. Trask was a pretty solid back up in highschool .

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Please put 'hypothetical' in bold ****ing print in the thread title.

Burrow isn't coming here. Not a chance in 1000 hells.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I'm curious, do you guys want Haskins? Burrow may get the job. If he does, they say Haskins is gone.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Burrow would be 2 more wins probably than Franks. That is how bad Franks is lost. You know a QB has issues when Del Rio has to save the day against KY.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Well, they haven't been a completely incompetent football team in desperate need of a QB for the last 9 years or so....

I see your point all too clearly. The last 9 years have been the stuff of which nightmares are made. We've witnessed a combination of coaching ineptitude, and generally sub-par talent, turn what was one of the proudest QB traditions in CFB into a laughing stock. I've watched in utter dismay as a parade of "not-ready-for prime time mediocrities" have embarrassed themselves and the program, while watching what talent we have had being wasted or ruined by coaches who wouldn't recognize an SEC quality QB if he bit them in the ass. Thankfully, I believe that there is now a chance that our years of wandering in the dessert may finally be over.

I honestly believe that in order to break the cycle of misery and failure that has taken hold of the QB position, we have to re-establish the ability to recruit, train and then effectively utilize high-quality talent - just like the other big boys of CFB do. McElwain was a failure for many reasons, not least of which was his lazy-assed habit of grasping at straws with QB transfers of dubious ability, instead of identifying and developing a competent QB in the traditional manner. If we opt for another has-been who never was, we will only postpone the process of rebuilding the QB tradition at UF, which is what we long for after this long hiatus in the wasteland. We must eventually relearn how to build from within rather than rely on guys who couldn't get it done elsewhere.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
1. After spending a good bit of time on bucknut sites to get a feel for Burrow (now I'm sick), I came away with them feeling their QB situation is not good. They view their 2 guys (Burrow and Haskins) being in the bottom half of the tiny10.

2. Burrow is referred to as a captain checkdown type who refuses to push the ball down the field. If true, he'd fit in perfectly at UF. :lol3:

3. He was the backup as a RSF but lost the job. This coming season, it appears Haskins has to lose the job and Meyer is already on record as saying Martell will be a part of the offensive game plan since he's such a playmaker running the ball. Meaning, after 4 years, he's 3rd string.

Why again am I supposed to want this guy? I watched his tape. What I could find that is. lol. I wasn't impressed. He's an upgrade over Franks and Trask sure. But, all I saw was a solid career backup. I don't want that taking up a scholly or snaps from EJ. If OSU fans don't care for him, why should I?

He "lost" his job the same way Eason "lost" his job to Fromm at UGA - he got injured. He missed the entire season due to an injury, the other kid moved up to #2 and saved the Michigan game for OSU.

There are PLENTY of 2nd string QBs around the country better than any QB on our current roster, including EJ. I'm not sure what tape you watched, but the kid is a stud and is a true-DT QB. He's a starter the second he steps foot on our campus. He plays 2 years, which allows us to groom EJ properly and then either EJ or Jalon Jones is the starter in 2020. It's an ideal situation. We literally go from a 6 or 7 win team next year to a 9, maybe 10 win team. This is something we shouldn't even be "arguing" about. It's a no brainer. If he wants to come we roll out the red carpet!

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
If we opt for another has-been who never was, we will only postpone the process of rebuilding the QB tradition at UF, which is what we long for after this long hiatus in the wasteland. We must eventually relearn how to build from within rather than rely on guys who couldn't get it done elsewhere.

I agree and said so in another thread. The problem I see is Franks and Trask are not going to be those guys. If he would go ahead and start EJ and mold him I am all for it. I just feel like the rest are just prolonging our agony.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Burrow or not, we're in an expectations hold pattern until 2019 at the earliest.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Burrow would be 2 more wins probably than Franks. That is how bad Franks is lost. You know a QB has issues when Del Rio has to save the day against KY.
He only "saved the day" bc Ky didnt play CBs. Pretty Franks threw one of those two No CB TD passes anyway.

Besides, last year this time I saw thousands of posts that LDR was terrible and that all we needed to do was play Franks to win 14 games. Butters offensive explosion coming. What happened?

So hard to follow the groupthink here.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
He "lost" his job the same way Eason "lost" his job to Fromm at UGA - he got injured. He missed the entire season due to an injury, the other kid moved up to #2 and saved the Michigan game for OSU.

That's not what I read from OSU fans. They said Burrow was healthy by the time Haskins was put in. They even were calling for Burrow but Meyer kept playing Haskins even though Haskins wasn't playing well. I assume they know their team better than we do.

I'm not sure what tape you watched, but the kid is a stud and is a true-DT QB.
OSU fans have been following this kid for 4 years now. This is NOT their opinion of him. It wasn't in any of the material I read. The consensus about Burrow is he is a good kid, Ohio native, want him to succeed, but the most inferior QB of the 3. The consistent comments I read about Burrow are:

1. He could get them a bunch of wins but would not have any hope of beating the elite teams with him at QB.
2. He is very accurate throwing short but is a dink and dunker. He won't push the ball.
3. He has a habit of throwing in to coverage.
4. True DT was the exact opposite of what they said about him. They said Tot (Tate Martell) was the only DT in this QB race.

I don't follow OSU. All I can go on is what I've read from the OSU versions of us. I find this discussion pointless as he is not coming here.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Hell I'd take him if he wanted to come here, why not? A lot of us questioned bringing Applewood a couple years back but as it turns out he was the best QB besides WG that we've had here since 2009 IMO....I know that isn't saying much but better is better than worse and if Jones isn't ready we or gets hurt were most likely fugged anyway....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.