Recruiting Joe Burrow leaves OSU and becomes a corndog

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Help me understand how this kid could go four years with only 10 starts and be that good.

Are there that many studs in Columbus?

Mullen doesn't think so. He just told reporters he's not interested. Posted on SECcountry one hour ago.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen doesn't think so. He just told reporters he's not interested. Posted on SECcountry one hour ago.
Literally said not interested or coachspeak like we like the guys we have?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Yeah...we don't want a grad transfer....until he's interested in coming.

Mullen says UF not interested in grad transfer QB right now
Florida coach Dan Mullen said the Gators aren't looking for a graduate transfer quarterback, quieting talk that UF might be a possible destination for Ohio State's Joe Burrow.

https://247sports.com/college/flori...grad-transfer-quarterback-right-now-118050236

"Not right now we're not really looking at it," Mullen said. "I feel pretty good about the guys we have and the depth that we're creating at that position and the competition at that position."

So the natural thought process was that if Florida could get a graduate transfer, particularly a dual-threat prospect, it might not be a bad idea.

It just doesn't sound like an idea Mullen has spent much time entertaining. When pressed on whether he was closing the door on taking a graduate transfer quarterback, the first-year Florida coach had a humorous answer.

"Like this year? I don't know. Right, I don't think we would take one," Mullen said before chuckling. "Baker Mayfieldleft, right? He graduated last year? So, I don't think that's a spot that we're looking to take anyone."

How does he feel about the overall outlook at the quarterback position for 2018, particularly after losing redshirt freshman Jake Allen to transfer, which whittled the numbers down even further?

"I feel great," Mullen said. "I mean I had two on scholarship last season, so three is like a luxury. We feel pretty good about that situation."

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Translation, he's breathless in anticipation.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Needed to offset recent reports that the Gators weren't happy with what we have.

gatorplank

Jul 28, 2017
Newton obviously would have stayed and started if he had a desktop PC.

Sure, not denying that. But Newton would have been a multi-year back up much like Burrow and JT Barrett.

What makes me excited about the future is we have 2 QBs that Urban wanted, and maybe 3 if Burrow transfers in. I know we complain about recruiting, but historically Urban’s teams have been pretty stacked at QB. If we add Burrow and Jalon Jones our roster will all of the sudden be deep at QB, which brings us closer to restoring the football program to the upper echelon of college football.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
So Mullen is just cleverly protecting his players' egos with coach speak on this situation?

Meanwhile frost has been very forward with his interest in getting Burrow over to the hustlers.

Maybe Meyer cockblocks a conference rival but I think the kid is headed west.

Acecustis

Sep 25, 2017
Unless Franks is the unquestioned starting QB in 2019 he is as good as gone by August 2019. Trask stayed at his high school despite being the backup QB. I doubt he ever transfers.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I wouldn't expect mullen to fuel the burrow to Florida fire. Obviously its a long shot. And common sense tells me he's not as crazy about franks and trask as he may lead some to believe lol.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Unless Franks is the unquestioned starting QB in 2019 he is as good as gone by August 2019. Trask stayed at his high school despite being the backup QB. I doubt he ever transfers.

Where does he go? It's not like he's got options. If he leaves he likely ends up at a 1AA school. The kid is a bad QB. That's not being mean, just telling the truth. I can't imagine some other D1 school's coach saying, "OH!! We need to get in on that kid!!"

Acecustis

Sep 25, 2017
Where does he go? It's not like he's got options. If he leaves he likely ends up at a 1AA school. The kid is a bad QB. That's not being mean, just telling the truth. I can't imagine some other D1 school's coach saying, "OH!! We need to get in on that kid!!"

Not sure. He should have been a hoops player. The measurables say someone gives him a shot. Maybe Kiffin at FAU.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I wouldn't expect mullen to fuel the burrow to Florida fire. Obviously its a long shot. And common sense tells me he's not as crazy about franks and trask as he may lead some to believe lol.
I assume you mean crazy like choosing between lethal injection and the firing squad.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
For those not reading the recruiting thread, we're discussing the transfer rules. He technically needs a release by Ohio State. Ohio State plays Nebraska in 2018 and 2019.....will Meyer release him to sign w/ Nebraska??

(this cut and paste is from the other Joe Burrow thread):

This is somewhat true, but there is a provision to block a transfer (see the bolded part):

https://www.athleticscholarships.net/ncaa-transfer-exceptions.htm

Graduate Exception
The graduate exception is a version of the one-time transfer exception. It is for student-athletes who cannot use the normal one-time transfer exception because they play one of the sports that are not permitted to use the exception.

• The student-athlete must have graduated with at least a bachelor’s degree;
  • The student-athlete meets the other requirements of the one-time transfer exception;
  • The student-athlete must have at least one season of competition left; and
  • The student-athlete’s previous school did not renew his or her athletic scholarship or offer an athletic scholarship for the following academic year.
The requirement that the scholarship be cancelled or not renewed is generally not an issue. The scholarship does not need to be cancelled before the transfer or be the reason for the transfer. Because the one-time transfer exception requires you to get a release, what will happen with your scholarship is generally just an administrative detail.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Franks was supposed to be our Trash, sitting on the bench behind Eason and all the others we tried to land, and he was happy with it.

I'm not so convinced he will runoft.

Acecustis

Sep 25, 2017
Franks was supposed to be our Trash, sitting on the bench behind Eason and all the others we tried to land, and he was happy with it.

I'm not so convinced he will runoft.

I don't know. Everyone around campus will remember him as that stank ass QB who gave FSU 28 points. He probably would want to get away with that. Then again his girl is kind of hot from what I have seen and since he is probably cookie dough soft I'm sure he probably couldn't stand to be without her so he might just stay.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
So Mullen is just cleverly protecting his players' egos with coach speak on this situation?

How can Franks have an ego if he cannot support it with his actual performances?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know. Everyone around campus will remember him as that stank ass QB who gave FSU 28 points.
Driskel stayed around for years ago gifting many games to the other team and he truly did DEMAND to start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.