Kids these days will never know….

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
How many of you - while at UF - had to sit down with your roommates and figure out who owed how much on the phone bill for long distance charges? That was fun.

I'd like to hear from the old timers (@stephenPE) about how they registered for classes. I remember calling into the 'system' and registering by punching in the numbers associated with each class - you had to be prepared before you called.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
We waited in lines and then turned in the classes to someone who entered them into a main frame and prayed they were not filled.
General classes were bad, AG classes not so much

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015
Picking up the big printed course catalog each semester and trying to read the tele-type style print for times, days, professor, etc.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Haven’t seen this one. How about buying a scorecard after the game. The uga game specifically was one of the best ways to spend $10 ever. Still have a few stored away somewhere. Kids today(UF kids at least) haven’t had that luxury much recently even if they’re still available.

And, @BMF , love the NFL team pencils at the school store. The first day of school after becoming an Eagles fan, I went straight in and bought one. Unlike Dallas, there were plenty. :lol:

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
You haven’t lived until you’ve yelled at a sibling to “get off, I’m on the phone!”, or very covertly picked up and covered the mouthpiece to listen in.
How about party lines?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
How many of you - while at UF - had to sit down with your roommates and figure out who owed how much on the phone bill for long distance charges? That was fun.

I'd like to hear from the old timers (@stephenPE) about how they registered for classes. I remember calling into the 'system' and registering by punching in the numbers associated with each class - you had to be prepared before you called.
Old FLa gym with lists and lists of classes, up on overhead projectors, that were closed. So you would find someting open and run to a table with your card and hope you got in before someone else. I finally realized you just go to the classs first day and say "im adding this class" and they would say just have a seat. Someone would drop and you were in. Actually, I think they let you stay as long as there was a desk.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Haven’t seen this one. How about buying a scorecard after the game. The uga game specifically was one of the best ways to spend $10 ever. Still have a few stored away somewhere. Kids today(UF kids at least) haven’t had that luxury much recently even if they’re still available.

And, @BMF , love the NFL team pencils at the school store. The first day of school after becoming an Eagles fan, I went straight in and bought one. Unlike Dallas, there were plenty. :lol:
In that regard (the pencils), I had the baseball team helmets from slurpees and also the mini NFL helmets from the quarter machine.

Also, getting a quarter from mom to buy a superball from the machine.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
In that regard (the pencils), I had the baseball team helmets from slurpees and also the mini NFL helmets from the quarter machine.

Also, getting a quarter from mom to buy a superball from the machine.

To piggyback off that, let’s delve into the original Slush Puppie. Almost positive I still have paw points I never cashed in.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Those CDs or tape cassette clubs where you got like 10 albums for 99 cents. Then they owned you for the rest of your life. I think I finally got mine completed last year.

Columbia House? Something like that.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Not familiar with those. Or maybe just different terminology?
Back in the day you shared lines in rual areas. If someone one was on your line you could listen in. If they left the phone off the hook you were %&@#^!.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Air Mail
Long Distance Calls
Operators...placing calls
Information

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Wasn't 565-1212 the number to call to get the time? (like in every area code)

I mentioned cinnamon toothpicks - I remember kids would make them using cinnamon oil and some were super strong, occasionally a kid would suck on one and have it resting on the corner of his mouth/lip area and they'd breakout into a heat rash and their whole face would be red and all f'cked up looking. The school would do a crackdown on people selling the toothpicks. It was like all scandalous.

Also - bussing. Who got bussed to the other side of town? You know - so the white kids could go to school with the black kids and the black kids could go to school in the white neighborhoods. I got bussed from literally the county line in Mandarin (Jax) to downtown Jacksonville to Matthew W. Gilbert 7th Grade Center. I'd catch the bus at 8am, school started a 9:30am, got out at 3:30pm and I got home around 5:30pm (8am-5:30pm as a 12 year old....classic liberalism).

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.