Kids these days will never know….

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Wasn't 565-1212 the number to call to get the time? (like in every area code)

I mentioned cinnamon toothpicks - I remember kids would make them using cinnamon oil and some were super strong, occasionally a kid would suck on one and have it resting on the corner of his mouth/lip area and they'd breakout into a heat rash and their whole face would be red and all f'cked up looking. The school would do a crackdown on people selling the toothpicks. It was like all scandalous.

Also - bussing. Who got bussed to the other side of town? You know - so the white kids could go to school with the black kids and the black kids could go to school in the white neighborhoods. I got bussed from literally the county line in Mandarin (Jax) to downtown Jacksonville to Matthew W. Gilbert 7th Grade Center. I'd catch the bus at 8am, school started a 9:30am, got out at 3:30pm and I got home around 5:30pm (8am-5:30pm as a 12 year old....classic liberalism).
We lived in Arlington within 1 mile of elementary (parkwood) ,middle (Arlington Jr High) and HS (Parker). We were bussed to Suzue Tolbert 6th ,Douglass Anderson 7th and Kirby Smith 8th.

The longest days ever. One was near a paper mill ... smelled like Jacksonville residents took a collective fart.

Moved to SC in the middle of 8th TG.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Information 555-1212
Bussing was awful
Didn't they charge for info? 5 cents or 10 cents a call?

Whenever one if us kids traveled, Mom would have us call her person to.person collect and ask for Uncle Bob. Code for we arrived safely.

Sticking it to Ma Bell.

Last edited:

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
You ever noticed you saw more clacker balls wrapped around power lines than anywhere else back in the day? Well, them and a pair of tied sneakers.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Lil Seedy was writing a paper the other night and his laptop died. He said oh well, I'll submit it after I charge the battery. I told him about when I was your age.... You could write a paper for hours and lose it and never get it back. Any little glitch and the paper is just gone!
The dog ate ours.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Metal garbage cans. Cleaning them was an absolute delight.

Neighbors dogs knocking them over and picking up that nasty crap. (either plastic bags didn't exist or were too expensive).

Paper bags always soaked through and the bottoms fell.out.

Or if the lids fell.off and it rained, they wouldn't pick the cans up because they were too heavy. So you had to tip the can and "strain" the water using the lid. Lovely "soup" and fragrance.
smelly-trash-can-d-illustration-computer-generated-image-nasty-theme-80352329.jpg

Last edited:

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Metal garbage cans. Cleaning them was an absolute delight. Neighbors dogs knocking them over and have to pick up that nasty crap. (either
plastic bag didn't exist or were too expensive). Paper bags always soaked through and the bottoms fell.out. View attachment 51604
Sun beating down on that thing all day long--for days on end, liquid that had spilled inside beginning to act as a broth for all the crap in there, the lid never fitting on just right the first try and it sounded like you were gonna wake the dead when you dropped the lid onto the asphalt road(if you were lucky enough to not live on a dirt road).......

Ahhhhhh, good times.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Sun beating down on that thing all day long--for days on end, liquid that had spilled inside beginning to act as a broth for all the crap in there, the lid never fitting on just right the first try and it sounded like you were gonna wake the dead when you dropped the lid onto the asphalt road(if you were lucky enough to not live on a dirt road).......

Ahhhhhh, good times.
There was some nasty stuff fermenting in those cans.

51fIbk8xxYL._AC_SY580_.jpg

Last edited:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Metal garbage cans. Cleaning them was an absolute delight.

Neighbors dogs knocking them over and picking up that nasty crap. (either plastic bags didn't exist or were too expensive).

Paper bags always soaked through and the bottoms fell.out.

Or if the lids fell.off and it rained, they wouldn't pick the cans up because they were too heavy. So you had to tip the can and "strain" the water using the lid. Lovely "soup" and fragrance.
View attachment 51604

I do recall as a kid dragging the cans down the driveway. We finally got cans with wheels sometime in the 80’s. That was an amazing invention! I don’t recall our trash can inside though. Surely we didn’t have the drawstring 13 gallon bags with odor protection that could hold a weeks worth of trash.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I do recall as a kid dragging the cans down the driveway. We finally got cans with wheels sometime in the 80’s. That was an amazing invention! I don’t recall our trash can inside though. Surely we didn’t have the drawstring 13 gallon bags with odor protection that could hold a weeks worth of trash.
The "rich" neighbors had one of these:
7b539d2e-b0e6-4553-8c30-fdd19cea7e3d_1.eac3686cb882069f1eeb00a404d27394.jpeg

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Dad had a shed/barn/out building every place we lived. He had jars of every type of bolt/nut/screw/washer made out of all materials ... both standard and metric. It could take several hours to find what was needed, but he always did. He would pick them up at garage sales and flea markets.
jar-of-old-bolts-nuts-and-screws-jim-hughes.jpg

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Dad had a shed/barn/out building every place we lived. He had jars of every type of bolt/nut/screw/washer made out of all materials ... both standard and metric. It could take several hours to find what was needed, but he always did. He would pick them up at garage sales and flea markets.
View attachment 51611

Ha, we still have several of these. Doesn’t everyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.