Kids these days will never know….

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
The ordeal of splicing and rewinding home movies. The sound of the projector.

pdyg91.jpg

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
The revolutionary Kodak Instamatic 110 and Poloroid Instant Camera. 1 hour film processing. Double prints. Flash bulbs. The frame counter. The stressful delema - the convenience of 12-24 or 36 film vs cost of developing.

Last edited:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
The revolutionary Kodak Instamatic 110 and Poloroid Instant Camera. 1 hour film processing. Double prints. Flash bulbs. The frame counter. The stressful delema - the convenience of 12-24 or 36 film vs cost of developing.
Lil Seedy brought home some Polaroid pics from friend's party but they were half the size now.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
:lol: No. Just a family of mules, specifically on my mom’s side. She actually had broken her pelvis a few years earlier skiing, and not only walked down the last 50 yards of the slope to the base but went a full week of work before going to the doctor. Needless to say, when I hurt my elbow she gave me her best Michael Keaton gif and told me to keep going. Lift tickets aren’t free and you can whine and moan in Florida. Kind of a mantra.

Ftr, I did go back up. And went back to the same kicker in the park, same trick and stuck the landing that time. I also wept later on as it was the most painful of the injuries I’ve sustained.:lol:

Forgot to mention puncturing my wrist about a half inch from the vein on a broken piece of china doll my sister had hidden under her bed. They reacted quickly then, but only took me to a neighbor who was once an RN to save a hospital visit. Again, lift tickets aren’t free.
Just now reading and I can’t get the image of Michael Keaton in a wig, “scoffing” out of my head :rotfl:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Well, when I was a kid....
The garbage men use do walk around to the back of the house and pick up the garbage from our trash cans, emptying our cans' contents into a big rubbermaid containers they would carry on their heads.
fancy GIF by Iggy Azalea

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
The "rich" neighbors had one of these:
View attachment 51608
So, some guys I know may have, on Halloween, moved those two cans to either side of the street and tied the handles together with monofilament fishing line. Maybe. And maybe the first car through that street had two garbage cans dragging behind it until the line snapped. Maybe.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
1669660808569.png

Lining up the holes evenly on the dot matrix printer or watching it print line by line.

Retrieving your code you just wrote on the mainframe at Smathers library (I think it was Smathers) to check for errors.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
If you wanted to "smell the smell" then who remembers the memeograph machines? I actually found one several years ago and still have it. Never tried using it though.

images

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Wasn't 565-1212 the number to call to get the time? (like in every area code)

I mentioned cinnamon toothpicks - I remember kids would make them using cinnamon oil and some were super strong, occasionally a kid would suck on one and have it resting on the corner of his mouth/lip area and they'd breakout into a heat rash and their whole face would be red and all f'cked up looking. The school would do a crackdown on people selling the toothpicks. It was like all scandalous.

Also - bussing. Who got bussed to the other side of town? You know - so the white kids could go to school with the black kids and the black kids could go to school in the white neighborhoods. I got bussed from literally the county line in Mandarin (Jax) to downtown Jacksonville to Matthew W. Gilbert 7th Grade Center. I'd catch the bus at 8am, school started a 9:30am, got out at 3:30pm and I got home around 5:30pm (8am-5:30pm as a 12 year old....classic liberalism).
In Detroit, starting in 1st Grade, I walked two blocks to the elementary school I went to Kindergarten at to get on a bus and ride to another schools about 8 miles away as the crow flies, but with all the other stops the bus had to make, that bus ride was an hour each way. But in my case, it was more a "white rescue" in that they bussed 4 of us from a school that only had about 50 whites out of 800 total to a school with more white kids (but it was kind of a charter thing, only had 1 each class of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Grades).

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
View attachment 51617

Lining up the holes evenly on the dot matrix printer or watching it print line by line.

Retrieving your code you just wrote on the mainframe at Smathers library (I think it was Smathers) to check for errors.
I still tell my kids about the AWESOME Panasonic 24 pin printer we had in our apartment while at UF.

In 1989, we bought that Panasonic printer along with a 286 computer (with BOTH 3.5" and 5 1/4" floppies!) and a color monitor for about $2500. We also got an '87 Pontiac Sunbird in mint condition (FIL was a regional GMAC big wig and a dealer friend hooked us up) for just over $4000.... that's how crazy expensive "good" computers were (and how cheap good used cars were) back then and ours was a generic 286... mighta been turbo though... the 286 that is, not the Pontiac!

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
View attachment 51617

Similar technology note. While kids today have Minecraft and other building games, have they ever felt the stress of sweating out a decision to trade or not trade with Indians they encountered, the pain of burying a close family member who died of dysentery, or the exhilaration of killing 4 deer, 2 buffalo and a bear(screw you, speedy squirrels), knowing full well they couldn’t carry all of it back to the wagon? I don’t think so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.