Kids these days will never know….

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Did anyone else have a pen-pal in elementary school? Mine was in Africa somewhere. Our school made us do it and we wrote once or twice.

I’m quite certain those were all made up. One of the first stages of implementing your “guilt” and trying to turn you into a bleeding heart. Some kid hasn’t eaten or had clean water in a week and is trying to figure out which bush is least likely to have a mamba in it so he can hide from the lion, and is like, “man, I gotta hit that girl in Kentucky back about how homework stinks”.

Yeah, sorry. It’s adorable that you played along. But I wasn’t getting duped.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Here's an example... Mr. Belvedere's "We do good work" commercials were HUGE in the 70's... his advertised phone number was "Tyler 8..." Even shows on the screen as TY8. "Tyler" is what I was thinking of when I said "Belvedere" above... it was Mr. Belvedere with a "Tyler" number. "LOgan" and CRescent" were Dearborn numbers.

UPDATE: it wasn't just a Michigan thing, but definitely a big city/metro area thing that goes back to pre-digital phone exchanges. Another example is the phone number of The Simpsons, Homer actually says in an episode "Klondike 5 -3226"

NY did it as well.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I’m quite certain those were all made up. One of the first stages of implementing your “guilt” and trying to turn you into a bleeding heart. Some kid hasn’t eaten or had clean water in a week and is trying to figure out which bush is least likely to have a mamba in it so he can hide from the lion, and is like, “man, I gotta hit that girl in Kentucky back about how homework stinks”.

Why finding out you were an adolescent cynic is not surprising..........but Im trying to imagine FF as an 11 yr old...........

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

My girl from Greece in 3rd Grade was real... she wrote about all the nasty things she wanted to do to me, my family laughed at me, so I stopped writing. I think about her to this day...

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
On the serious side, she actually was really a girl the same age as me, but her English was pretty bad and my family did laugh at me (mainly my retarded older sister), and I did stop. One of my few regrets in life and I do wonder how her life turned out.

The other thing about international pen pals (international in general) that kids today will never know are those super thin "air mail" envelopes that you had to use.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
That brings back memories.
My BFF in HS and college drove her dad's 1956 1/2 convertible mustang (original owner)
When I was the DD in her car I could hardly bring the seat forward enough to reach the clutch. Lap belt and no power steering. It was quite a struggle but this is what the good times are made of.
Ford Mustangs weren't produced until 1964. Please explain how you drove your friend's dad's 1956 Mustang? I'm guessing it was an actual mustang horse...

Nk4TdwHqFDKXZQwkvaiyEC.jpg

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
How to tell time on a clock with a face
Write/read cursive
Address book
Recipe book
waiting for that one song you love to come on the radio

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Knocking on your friend's door to see if they can play
Getting off the phone because mom needs to make a call (or needs to use the computer)
Turning the TV to channel 3 to play a video game
Wrapping text books in paper bags for book covers

Last edited:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Using a TV Guide to plan out your shows for the week or night
TV shows ended at midnight followed by the Star Spangled Banner and then test patterns
Buying a whole record for one song and the rest of it sucks

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.