Kids these days will never know….

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Can you imagine lugging this around on vacation at a theme park. I remember seeing many a trusty father doing his fatherly duty to film frigging everything the family did at Disney.

1684203542075.png

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Sniffing the fresh ink from the mimeograph machine
That was me in 1978. I taught middle school math and on Friday I ran off my tests on that machine. LOVED that smell. As for my picture, we had this life on vacation without the dolphin. Had a jon boat we could run up and down the intercoastal for two weeks. We finally bought the 13ft boston whaler when we were in our 20s.
344326257_1297613341104673_5936040780672477937_n.jpg

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Mall? Hell, as a kid, K-Mart's had a full blown grill/restaurant area.

That was the camping section and I recall they asked you to leave and no come back :grin:

As an employee of an Orlando Kmart from age 16 until UF graduation in 1988 (worked at Christmas every year) I can fully attest to all of this. Always ate lunch there when working weekends.

You are ruining my game here, buddy. :fatnanner:

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
My doctor's office had these in it:

What was the (religious) kids books they had in waiting rooms - High Life?

That and there was a small mini-book for adults with a variety of stuff in it - I always went for the 1-2pg short stories, horoscopes, and jokes.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
This is a running joke for the wife and I. It started on a vacation in South Carolina when we asked a local for directions to a beauty trail she wanted to hike. Directions involved 'turn left at the chick-fil-a' and a turn into a neighborhood with 'that one blue house that got painted a few years back' and 'the yard with the dog tied up out front (he indeed, was tied up out front)'.
The first time I went to Kauai, HI for my work, I was told to drive westward along the main road (there is only one main road) until I got to the mules tied to a fence post and turn left. Seemed like a really weird landmark but I followed that direction and sure enough, when I saw the mules tied to fence posts there to the left was the main gate to the Navy base on the island.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Can you imagine lugging this around on vacation at a theme park. I remember seeing many a trusty father doing his fatherly duty to film frigging everything the family did at Disney.

View attachment 57582

That was my dad. The case was a metal suitcase much bigger than that. Had to weight 30lbs. He lugged it all over NYC, Disney, ski trips, Keys, etc. The worst was actually when he discovered the mosaic ending. Every piece of skiing film ended with the mosaic close. Used to drive us all nuts. :lol:

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
So, my mind sometimes works in ways I don't comprehend. This picture triggered a memory of my high school girlfriend, who loved Neil Diamond and her favorite song. We had hours of conversation about the lyrics. So without further ado, a dedication going out from @Seedy to his bride @CDGator and all the other bluegrass women in the audience:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
So, my mind sometimes works in ways I don't comprehend. This picture triggered a memory of my high school girlfriend, who loved Neil Diamond and her favorite song. We had hours of conversation about the lyrics. So without further ado, a dedication going out from @Seedy to his bride @CDGator and all the other bluegrass women in the audience:

Thanks, B52. I’ve never actually heard that one before.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017

That and there was a small mini-book for adults with a variety of stuff in it - I always went for the 1-2pg short stories, horoscopes, and jokes.
Readers Digest?

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020

1684277670834.png

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
Readers Digest?
I Am Joe's Prostate was my introduction to Reader's Digest.

The stories subtitled "Drama in Real Life" were always good. People doing stupid things and winning stupid prizes.

The semi-regular tough-talk articles like "Time to Rip the Ayatollah's Head Off and **** Down His Neck!" rang kinda hollow.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018

Did they have matching drinks for the kids as well?

Cool. :yes: Wish my doctor had that for kids.

1684284999146.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator