Kids these days will never know….

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Grit when it was a fun little newspaper that boys sold after school.

View attachment 57631
So this reminds me of a story my dad told about taking a Little League team to Williamsport. The team was having breakfast in New York and one of the boys ordered eggs and grits. Well, they brought him the eggs and the above newspaper. He then asked for grits (hominy corn, soaked in lye, dried and ground course) as a side dish. The waitress said they didn't have those but he could have potatoes. The young man stood up and yell across the restaurant, "Coach, they serve spuds for breakfast here." BTW, this was in 1951. Some of you probably don't remember.

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015
Another great way to get injured as a kid:

Pinched fingers in the hinges, bonking heads, getting off at the wrong time, standing too close when others are swinging, overloading, standing up and hitting the overhead bar...

Ah, good times!

1684366035780.png

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Pinched fingers in the hinges, bonking heads, getting off at the wrong time, standing too close when others are swinging, overloading, standing up and hitting the overhead bar...

Ah, good times!

View attachment 57671

Had one of those when I was younger and we had a blast on it.

It taught us to be careful and perfect our timing, all while maintaining a healthy view of the consequences if we did not. Ironically, our generation also doesn’t have a bunch of unwanted kids running around either.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I remember jumping off my end about halfway up and having the other person slam their ass on the ground...
good times.

Yep. Had to be careful who you got involved with. One minute things are going smoothly, the next your on your ass watching the other party walk away. Again, life lessons.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

Ah, good times!

View attachment 57671
Several people have replied to this pic.. I say, "Amateurs ALL!!!!"

First of all, that is not a proper "glider." You could stand up on a proper glider and on a proper glider, there'd be no plastic schit and in the 70's, there'd DEFINITELY be NO pink schit.

On a proper glider, one could stand while facing the end of the swing set while rocking it back and forth to maximum glide. One could then take turns doing that while ones friends stood back and threw dirt clods at said glider. A dirt clod might even (unintentionally) have a rock in it and strike said glider just above the eye brow. Said glider might have then had to take one of many trips to the ER to get stitches for yet another neighborhood mishap.

Today, such a story would lead to many, many questions by the ER staff and removal of said child from the home. In the 70's, one would be back out on that glider 20 minutes after returning from the ER!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Several people have replied to this pic.. I say, "Amateurs ALL!!!!"

First of all, that is not a proper "glider." You could stand up on a proper glider and on a proper glider, there'd be no plastic schit and in the 70's, there'd DEFINITELY be NO pink schit.

On a proper glider, one could stand while facing the end of the swing set while rocking it back and forth to maximum glide. One could then take turns doing that while ones friends stood back and threw dirt clods at said glider. A dirt clod might even (unintentionally) have a rock in it and strike said glider just above the eye brow. Said glider might have then had to take one of many trips to the ER to get stitches for yet another neighborhood mishap.

Today, such a story would lead to many, many questions by the ER staff and removal of said child from the home. In the 70's, one would be back out on that glider 20 minutes after returning from the ER!

I don’t think I have to tell you in which state that watered down counterfeit was likely produced.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Mrs. Nalt found/purchased some clackers on the interwebs a few years ago. They will still bust your knuckles like they did back in the 70's...
You are so right about busting knuckles. I always thought that's why they banned them from sale--because they were dangerous. I just read they were banned because of being prone to shattering.

I never saw one shatter, but I can attest to many a case of knuckle bustering. :lol2:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
I remember when the clackers came around. Teachers had a heyday taking them up at school. Something like them going around these days. Seems like maybe @URGatorBait or @Durty South Swamp have a pair of them hanging on the trailer hitch of their pickup trucks (EVs of course).
Nah, the only thing those two tards know about trailer hitches is that their moms can suck the chrome off of them in minutes. :grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator