Let’s Talk Positives

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
They dropped 2 easy TD’s so we can learn from that without having to have been further humiliated on National TV by losing 38-11. :dunno:
Oh we were humiliated. Did you hear herbstreit when they came back from the rashada update "we're not laughing but" everyone in the country is openly rooting against us and it's exactly how you go 50 years without a SEC title.
I'm still pulling for Billy because if he can't do it we will need a Spurrier type guy who kicks a$$ so bad the media doesn't matter, the negative recruiting against us doesn't matter and the refs
can't do a damn thing about it.
All those things conspired to keep us down for 50 years and in an age of up tempo offense I'm not sure there's a coach out there who can fight through the negativity this program endures.

There are still lots of positives Billy brings to the program and he hopefully learns from the mistakes that were so glaring in the first game.

Also, all I heard in the box and from the talking heads was how disciplined deions team was. How disciplined on defense are you to give up 7 straight scores. I'm going to wait for his team to face a little adversity before slobbering on his nub like many did yesterday.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
When I saw all those number threes on the field at the same time I thought my gummy kicked in.
Blaming Spider-Man GIF

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
The first play on D was not on Armstrong, we were in the right set but the safety shyt the bed and took the underneath WR, realized at the last minute but was too late. Mertz looked good for all the abuse he took and if we can get the O-line fixed we can win some games. Not sure the Bama transfer can be refurbished but we shall see.

As for the coaching? Billy needs to get his head out of his azz and get a sense of urgency.

I have 250.00 for this if it will help.

1693758742803.png

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We can win with Mertz. Defensive issues from last year were much improved. We have real linebackers. EWIII is a dude. If we clean up the sloppiness we could be a tough out by the end of the year.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
so you are here to pull them back from the ledge, too. You suffer from :pumper: :pumper: :pumper: :pumper: itis too. I saw things that gave me hope. I love Jason Odom's son, I think he will be a leader. Mertz played well enough. Just needed a running game. Cmon O Line............jell and lead us out of hell............
Coach
You could beat Odoms kid in a foot race. He’s slower than big Des

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
The defense did not appear to get worse. I'll credit the new DC for that; but it is way too early to know if the defense will actually be any good.
This, but remember it was also UTAH's 1st game and with a #3 at QB and missing 2 other starters....but I'm not going to go on and on about that.

The defense got themselves off the field on the road whether Utah is any good or not so I'm saying that is improvement especially down 24-3 with the short field TD they scored in the 3rd quarter.

Offensively I'm afraid to say yet. Yeah Mertz looked serviceable dinking and doinking us downfield BUT we also said the same thing about Treon, and Del Rio after their first game or 2....I'm afraid the offensive line is so bad that Mertz gets injured before mid season....

It's also one thing to be good moving the ball between the 20's but again we take WAY TOO LONG operating in the redzone....blame the illegal procedures on the offensive linemen all you want but it is also the fact they're forced to stay in their stance too long trying to hear the snap call in a noisy place....just call the play and snap the ball....this is the sign of an unconfident play caller and spills over into the productivity of the offense .

Last edited:

Brooks

Jul 1, 2021
3 plays made the difference. The opening 70 yard TD, the penalty with two #3’s and the deflected interception. Overall the defense played well against a ranked team on the road.
A lot more than these three plays were the difference. I disagree with this completely.
I just listed a bunch of positives and I still think there's a very small chance that Napier could turn this around. But the worst part of the game was the fact that we can't get play calls in on time. On offense and defense. The defense being so late to get play calls in and get lined up was the difference in the game. If we had been quicker at getting the play and getting lined up, I actually think we could've won this game. We are more talented than Utah by quite a bit IMO. Our defense has a chance to be really good if we can get that one problem fixed.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
SCs day was worse.

That can be an argument made that SC was a worse showing given the expectations around their season. They were never in it midway through the second quarter and several silly mistakes, bad calls, etc.

The other vote on the misery loves company boat is Baylor, 20+ favorite at home and getting their arse handed to them by Texas State. Aranda is only 2 seasons removed from being the darling of the national press.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
That can be an argument made that SC was a worse showing given the expectations around their season. They were never in it midway through the second quarter and several silly mistakes, bad calls, etc.

The other vote on the misery loves company boat is Baylor, 20+ favorite at home and getting their arse handed to them by Texas State. Aranda is only 2 seasons removed from being the darling of the national press.
Baylor was probably worse than SC.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Baylor was probably worse than SC.
I thought UNC actually looked pretty good on both LOS.....almost SECesque if you will. They have a pretty easy schedule the rest of the way and could end up a top 10-15 ranked team.
USCe is what they are year in and year out....a mid level at best team that will unexpectantly play over their heads 1-2x per season, and then unexpectantly sh!t the bed at least 3-4x per season....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.