Let's talk the running game

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
first off, I was very impressed with the overall team yesterday. The offense did a great job feeding off of its own momentum, calling the right plays, taking what was open, and moving the ball. The momentum lasted all game long, something we haven't seen since Ole Miss last year.

One concern I have is the rushing game. Yes, we average 175 yards a game but we also average just 4.4 yards a carry and against the two teams we've played so far, and that raises an eyebrow. Yes. I know there's 3 shots to get a first down (4 technically) and 4.4 times three is a first down every time, but I can't help but wonder if those numbers would be better if we settled on 1 to 2 running backs, possibly just a third for change of pace.

I think Perine, although the youngest, is the future. He's got the body type, the running style, the vision, awareness, explosion, to be a killer in the SEC.

I'm not sold on Thompson at all. Two games and a spring game he lacks the overall explosion to really be a difference maker. Let's call it like it is. He doesn't look fast at all. He doesn't have a twitch when changing directions, so when he does decide to pivot , it won't be hard for defenders to change with him, and when he does change, he has no explosion to burst through and by defenders.

Coming to my second point, I think the running game needs to gravitate towards Perine and Scarlett as the two featured backs, Cronkrite as a change of pace, catching out of the backfield, etc. and Thompson as maybe a guy to move the chains in 3rd/4th and short.

I know it's only two games in and I'm sure Mac will eventually settle on the guys to get the running game going during the heavy portion of the SEC schedule, but what do you guys think? IMHO, I think going into Knoxville we will need to ride and die with 2 of them. Let them get their own momentum and carry the run game against a very formidable team.

Last edited:

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Did you grow up in the south?
It's a term for calling it like you see it but if we want to make everything a race game in life than I'll change it. Just asked my friends from here in New York if they've ever heard that and they laughed at anyone thinking its racist but sure. Let's blame it on me being from Florida

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure if I should let that blatant racism slide. Lifetime ban?

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
I was pleased to see so much depth at that position yesterday, but you can't forget that KY got torched with Southern Miss rushing 262 yds against them. So it is hard judge how good the rushing is. But I think it mainly comes down to the O-line. I think the backs are good enough to get some production, assuming the blocking continues to get better.

It was fun watching Perine running around as #22. Made me think of Emmit. His style was somewhat similar. He'd sneak up to the line and explode through a fairly modest size hole. Emmit was always amazing at finding the smallest crease and sneaking through it.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's a term for calling it like you see it but if we want to make everything a race game in life than I'll change it. Just asked my friends from here in New York if they've ever heard that and they laughed at anyone thinking its racist but sure. Let's blame it on me being from Florida

I agree with you 100% in your use of the term and I certainly do not think it is a racist. I'm just saying..... people in the south have used spade as a racist word, and that's where crete's joke came from.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014

It is still commonly used. I heard Mika on morning Joe use it the other day.

What I do hear people use sometimes that is a bit more dicey these days is "tar baby". The context it is typically used is not at all racist, but apparently the phrase was co-opted by some and used in a racist manner.

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
4 yards a carry is very good, nothing to worry about there. I agree we have a good stable of backs (racist?), but it's really up to the line to make a effective running game, and I'm not sure we have the quality depth to pull that off just yet.

I'm not sold on Thompson at all. Two games and a spring game he lacks the overall explosion to really be a difference maker. Let's call it like it is. He doesn't look fast at all. He doesn't have a twitch when changing directions, so when he does decide to pivot , it won't be hard for defenders to change with him, and when he does change, he has no explosion to burst through and by defenders.

I agree. He looks slow, not explosive at all. I would like to see him moved to a more traditional fullback position, something that fits his skills and a position we are lacking.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It is still commonly used. I heard Mika on morning Joe use it the other day.

What I do hear people use sometimes that is a bit more dicey these days is "tar baby". The context it is typically used is not at all racist, but apparently the phrase was co-opted by some and used in a racist manner.

I thought that was briar rabbit book thing. Anyway.... I'm sure this thread is now doomed and off to solitary. Thanks crete.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's Brer, just sayin'.

Interesting. Actually br'er.... Whatever that means.

latest

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
I thought that was briar rabbit book thing. Anyway.... I'm sure this thread is now doomed and off to solitary. Thanks crete.

It is - and people will use tar baby as a phrase for a problem that once you get in the middle of it is impossible to get out of. But apparently somewhere along the way some racists co-opted the phrase as a slur for black babies. I was surprised at the media brew ha ha when some politician used the phrase and the media jumped all over him.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Are we talking about the rushing game... the rushing game? We're not talking about 320 yards of passing we're talking about the rushing game? I know it's important, I do. I honestly do... But we're talking about rushing game man. What are we talking about? rushing game? We're talking about rushing game, man. We're talking about rushing game. We're talking about rushing game. We ain't talking about the passing game. We're talking about rushing game, man. When you come to Spurrier field, you want to see the passing game don't you? You want to see the vertical game, right? But we're talking about rushing game right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator