Let's talk the running game

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Poor Slevin. His rushing thread has turned into an information-please about racial slurs.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Are we talking about the rushing game... the rushing game? We're not talking about 320 yards of passing we're talking about the rushing game? I know it's important, I do. I honestly do... But we're talking about rushing game man. What are we talking about? rushing game? We're talking about rushing game, man. We're talking about rushing game. We're talking about rushing game. We ain't talking about the passing game. We're talking about rushing game, man. When you come to Spurrier field, you want to see the passing game don't you? You want to see the vertical game, right? But we're talking about rushing game right now.

I am not sure what point you are trying to make.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
It is interesting that we are using a 4 back rotation but it's a little early for us to be anointing any of them as a number 1 or 2 at this point. Yes, were all a little surprised that Thompson didn't beat out the others the way many of us thought. Keep in mind though he was "the guy" at JuCo and probably needs to get a few more game carries to get completely into sync with the offense and line. He made a beautiful cut on the 1st TD run to get into the endzone so I disagree with the OP's take on that. He also looks like he is being a little too careful protecting the ball and just needs to relax. Scarlett is doing fine and I think before long he'll bust off a couple of longer runs....Kronk is Kronk, consistent and dependable in protection and a good receiver.....BTW did anyone notice that we went with a 2 back set on almost every 3rd down yesterday? Perrine may be the future but a lot of what he did yesterday was against a bad and tired defense.....

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
The rushing game? I'm just glad we've got one. We've got a rushing game, a passing game, and a kicking game. What the hell is going on?

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
While our running game could get better; it looks miles ahead of where it was last year with the fact that we are actually gaining yards and not relying on one guy to make people miss in the backfield....

Still think we should go with Scarlett as our #1; he is still likely our only homerun guy that is still a power runner. Then Cronk and Perine with Thompson as short yardage back.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm cool with sticking with four RB's through next week. Keep them all fresh and give them multiple looks. Perine's productivity was surprising yesterday, but I honestly don't think he'll be one of the premier backs when we get into the thick of the schedule. Thompson will be perfect as a short yardage back.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
While our running game could get better; it looks miles ahead of where it was last year with the fact that we are actually gaining yards and not relying on one guy to make people miss in the backfield....

Still think we should go with Scarlett as our #1; he is still likely our only homerun guy that is still a power runner. Then Cronk and Perine with Thompson as short yardage back.
Agree with most of that Ferg, but I don't want any of our guys designated as a "short yardage" or 3rd down back because then it tips the defense off where the ball is going. Don't give up on Thompson just yet he is still making a huge jump in competition and is easily our most powerful back as you can see when the pile always moves another yard or 2 when he tackled.....I'm pleased with what we have so far and look forward to even better games ahead since the offensive line seems to be taking shape and we also have a decent short yardage passing game....

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Agree with most of that Ferg, but I don't want any of our guys designated as a "short yardage" or 3rd down back because then it tips the defense off where the ball is going. Don't give up on Thompson just yet he is still making a huge jump in competition and is easily our most powerful back as you can see when the pile always moves another yard or 2 when he tackled.....I'm pleased with what we have so far and look forward to even better games ahead since the offensive line seems to be taking shape and we also have a decent short yardage passing game....
That's why you mix it up and run the occasional playaction with him in the game to keep the defense honest. Ya know these coaches are pretty smart.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Are we talking about the rushing game... the rushing game? We're not talking about 320 yards of passing we're talking about the rushing game? I know it's important, I do. I honestly do... But we're talking about rushing game man. What are we talking about? rushing game? We're talking about rushing game, man. We're talking about rushing game. We're talking about rushing game. We ain't talking about the passing game. We're talking about rushing game, man. When you come to Spurrier field, you want to see the passing game don't you? You want to see the vertical game, right? But we're talking about rushing game right now.
We talking about practice now?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My biggest issue with the backs isn't burst or strength. It's vision. They don't run to the holes. If the play is blown up they just try to run the OL over. It's okay to bounce outside the tackle sometimes. And I'm it talking about a jet sweep.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Mark Thompson is a LenDale White type of back. Force between the tackles but not much explosion.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I know this off topic but did anybody else notice that we had trouble running between the tackles? On day that it seemed like we could do whatever we wanted it seems like the only no-gains were up the middle. I don't know, maybe I'm just calling the kettle black. :dunno:

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
I know this off topic but did anybody else notice that we had trouble running between the tackles? On day that it seemed like we could do whatever we wanted it seems like the only no-gains were up the middle. I don't know, maybe I'm just calling the kettle black. :dunno:
Could possibly be that teams are still daring us to throw so they're loading the box on us but I honestly haven't paid attention enough on the topic to say completely. We haven't given anyone a reason in 6 years to believe we can beat them with the pass though, so there lies a possibility this was and is the game plan still for opposing defenses

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator