LSU is in free fall....Miles out?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
He can recruit that area, but also LSU is the only big name in town for most of tenure there. More NFL talent has moved through LSU in the past decade than any other school in the nation. He has average 2.7 SEC losses a season and 3.2 total losses a season with in most seasons having superior talent than any team he faces. Alabama and UF should be the only two teams on his schedule with superior talent and during most of tenure the only two teams that have had premier coaches (Saban and Meyer).
Look at what happened with us with muschamp or miami now, just to name a few. No program is immune to bad coaching hires. I understand the job has potential but it's very hard to tell if someone else will be able to get that kind of nfl talent there.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Wouldn't the perfect fit be Lame Kiffin?
If Kiffin is ever a head coach again I think he has to suck it up and go to a non power 5 school or a bottom feeder in the big ones. I actually think he would be a good fit for UCF because he can talk the talk to get their fans excited again. Not saying he would ever back it up, but I almost feel bad for how pathetic they became this year, until I remember how much smack they talked two years ago. At least they would stay mediocre in style.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think LSU is a second tier job. I think les miles was a good recruiter who brought in balanced recruiting classes and kept them competitive for the last decade , So now there's this misconception that anyone could win there if an idiot like les miles can.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Look at what happened with us with muschamp or miami now, just to name a few. No program is immune to bad coaching hires. I understand the job has potential but it's very hard to tell if someone else will be able to get that kind of nfl talent there.

Then they become what Tennesse was under Fulmer, Ohio State under John Cooper, Michigan under Loyd Carr... guys who do good (get close or cash one it but don't press the issue), but don't take the next step. So do you take a chance, or just stay the same.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think LSU is a second tier job. I think les miles was a good recruiter who brought in balanced recruiting classes and kept them competitive for the last decade , So now there's this misconception that anyone could win there if an idiot like les miles can.

Idiot coaching does eliminate talent Muschamp with us, Gary Dinardo with LSU 95-99.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Then they become what Tennesse was under Fulmer, Ohio State under John Cooper, Michigan under Loyd Carr... guys who do good (get close or cash one it but don't press the issue), but don't take the next step. So do you take a chance, or just stay the same.
It's a tough call. I understand the why they would fire him but it's gotta be tough saying goodbye to 9-10 wins a year. They're risking never reaching this type of consistency again.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It's a tough call. I understand the why they would fire him but it's gotta be tough saying goodbye to 9-10 wins a year. They're risking never reaching this type of consistency again.

Its' a tough call, no one is arguing that. But seeing what has happened, it is a question they have to answer. It just depends if they want to take a swing or not. I would understand deciding not to, but would also respect seeing what they have over the last decade and then taking a chance.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Its' a tough call, no one is arguing that. But seeing what has happened, it is a question they have to answer. It just depends if they want to take a swing or not. I would understand deciding not to, but would also respect seeing what they have over the last decade and then taking a chance.
But do you think it's a good move to fire les pay him 15 mile not to coach, just so they can hire a guy from a mid major with the same record?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
But do you think it's a good move to fire les pay him 15 mile not to coach, just so they can hire a guy from a mid major with the same record?

I don't think it will be 15 million, reports are that the his buyout was much better structured than what he had for the bulldog. Les will get another job which will offset the cost, most likely a better paying job. Is it worth it for a shot at greatiness but also a shot at being $hitty. It's depends on how you view the LSU job, by your description of it earlier, it's not. If you think the job is one of the top 10 jobs in the country, then it is worth it.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think it will be 15 million, reports are that the his buyout was much better structured than what he had for the bulldog. Les will get another job which will offset the cost, most likely a better paying job. Is it worth it for a shot at greatiness but also a shot at being $hitty. It's depends on how you view the LSU job, by your description of it earlier, it's not. If you think the job is one of the top 10 jobs in the country, then it is worth it.
I would say it's a top 10-15 job.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Les Miles (7-3)
2 2014 SEC 8 5 0 .615 10.75 5.98 13 8 Les Miles (8-5) Music City Bowl-L
3 2013 SEC 10 3 0 .769 14.59 4.28 12 6 14 Les Miles (10-3) Outback Bowl-W
4 2012 SEC 10 3 0 .769 14.76 5.45 3 2 14 Les Miles (10-3) Chick-fil-A Bowl-L
5 2011 SEC 13 1 0 .929 24.27 6.27 4 1 2 Les Miles (13-1) BCS Championship-L
6 2010 SEC 11 2 0 .846 15.13 4.67 21 5 8 Les Miles (11-2) Cotton Bowl-W
7 2009 SEC 9 4 0 .692 12.70 6.00 11 4 17 Les Miles (9-4) Capital One Bowl-L
8 2008 SEC 8 5 0 .615 5.91 1.37 7 3 Les Miles (8-5) Chick-fil-A Bowl-W
9 2007 SEC 12 2 0 .857 18.41 5.77 2 1 1 Les Miles (12-2) BCS Championship-W
10 2006 SEC 11 2 0 .846 18.86 4.78 8 3 3 Les Miles (11-2) Sugar Bowl-W
11 2005 SEC 11 2 0 .846 14.18 2.48 5 3 6 Les Miles (11-2) Peach Bowl-W
12 2004 SEC 9 3 0 .750 11.89 3.98 4 4 16 Nick Saban (9-3) Capital One Bowl-L

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
After 3 losses? Hardly. Maybe if he went 5-7 and didn't make a bowl game. Les is far from spent.

The commentators are all making a big deal of Les being 13-10 in the SEC over the last few years. It's the old "our school deserves better than that" argument. As others have stated, there's no guarantee that the guy you bring in is going to be better. Right, Jimbo?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Why are some of you so butthurt over miles possibly being fired? If you think hes so good and that they will suck or at least be worse without him, wouldnt you welcome it? A lot of folks around here complain that they always seem to have our number, and miles always gets us with one of those trick plays that everyone in the country knows is coming except for the coaching staff? I would think some of you would be happy to hear him removed.

I really dont care either way. I think hes an underachiever with the talent thats almost guarranteed to head to baton rouge every year. No school in the country is a better self-recruiter than LSU. They have no in-state rival school to fight them for louisiana kids, and of all states in the country, louisiana is the hardest to pull a kid out of because of the culture that is instilled there. Its very much an "us against the rest of the country" mentality; many lousianans still consider themselves a seperate entity from the nation. That's why it's such a huge deal when a top recruit leaves... see that mark barron kid who played safety for bama. His own mother turned on him on national tv lol.

Anyway, Miles was a perennial 8-4 coach before coming to LSU. If LSU hired someone that was young with energy and knows how to develop and coach an offense, theyd be in the title hunt every year simply because of the ridiculous in-state talent advantage they have. Yes Texas and Florida have the most talent, but those states also have 3-5 big name schools spreading it out, plus the good out of state programs doing decent poaching jobs. LSU is a top 5 state for top talent, in my opinion they are #3, and 95% of it goes straight to LSU. Firing miles will probably not bring nearly as gloomy a result as some of you are suggesting.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Seems like they will do it. Noise in their system is great. It's a, "what have you done for me lately?", world. He will not stay unemployed long unless he chooses to do so.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The commentators are all making a big deal of Les being 13-10 in the SEC over the last few years. It's the old "our school deserves better than that" argument. As others have stated, there's no guarantee that the guy you bring in is going to be better. Right, Jimbo?

Damn, where have I heard that before..........?????????????

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator