Miami landing Cristobal with 10 year, $80 million deal

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Well i was right about one thing, which is rare I know Miami HASN'T fired Manny Diaz. But openly discussing giving his job to someone else while he still officially has it should tell eveyone including Mario Cristobal the kind of people and organization he's dealing with. Whatever happens this is going to end in a mess and make the "U" stand for something else: Undesirable.

Miami shows newfound boldness in pursuing Oregon's Mario Cristobal. But its treatment of current coach Manny Diaz is cruel.

Miami is a significant step down from Oregon. Mario must be pretty homesick and/or deluded to think they can actually muster the infrastructure needed to be elite today. They are barely a middling ACC team now and they’ll go broke.

The days of finding superstars in remote places like Pahokee that are off everyone else’s radar are long gone.

*edited because I’m MOM. Wow. Crazy.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Mario and Miami just burned a lot of bridges. When he gets canned in a few years I expect the hiring process to be 20 times worse than Tennessee.

Last edited:

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Miami is a significant step down from Oregon. Mario must be pretty homesick and/or deluded to think they can actually muster the infrastructure needed to be elite today. They are barely a middling ACC team now and they’ll go broke.

The days of finding superstars in remote places like Pahokee that are off everyone else’s radar are long gone.

*edited because I’m MOM. Wow. Crazy.
NIL and the transfere portal has sgnificantly changed the game along with cutting edge facilities. The days of recruiting by the will of just your personality and few assistants is over. No way the "U" can keep up with that.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
NIL and the transfere portal has sgnificantly changed the game along with cutting edge facilities. The days of recruiting by the will of just your personality and few assistants is over. No way the "U" can keep up with that.

Reports are they’re determined to provide the resources necessary. My question is where will they find said resources? Unlike the criminole$, they’re a private school and don’t have the access to stea… er… reallocate state tax dollars slated for “academic facilities.”

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The media is very silent about his 27-47 record at FIU and all they want to talk about is his recruiting.

The FIU record is forgivable because the program is garbage. But his willingness to stay that long while getting torched every year is very odd and says a lot about his acceptance of losing. As is going to a place where he’ll likely have a hard time getting the same resources and backing that he had at Oregon. Home or not, it’s no longer 1989 and miami is not the same program he played for. So it’s a step down in many aspects.

But as I’ve said, the FIU record is the past. He loses 2-4 games every year that he has no business losing. This year it was a bad Stanford team and the “two Utes” games. If he’s dropping those contests at Oregon, he’s going to have similar results against teams like NCSt, Wake, Pitt, etc. plus of course the noles, Clemson and any bigger teams they schedule.

Gator4Life

Known as A Member.
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2018
Yup, and he's still their man. He's a decent recruiter, him coming to Florida doesn't help us.
I don't think it's that bad! He is just like Diaz being from SoFl, and there savior when he was hired like Diaper Dan was ours. But as with Diaz he may have a couple good crooting classes but just like Diaz it will fall off when they don't win games. Then just like Diaz he'll be out the door and there next favorite homeboy will be waiting in the wings for his turn or maybe her turn! They would be the U to bring that wokeness to the rest of the nation and make the state of Fl the laughing stock.

Gator4Life

Known as A Member.
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2018
how do we get in on this racket?
I think we need to write in the contract that if you get another job coaching before your buyout is paid in full, it should be like alimony you have to forfeit any further payments from the date of your hire. This would put turd coaches out to pasture for a few years after being fired and let newer possibly better coaches come up the ranks. Keep the coaching pool fresher and send guys who whiff like FarSeU's kicker back home atleast for a couple years of timeout! Just a thought

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Jeez, even Miami, freaking Miami finds a way to pull $80m out of its ass when it needs to. Did all our big-moneyed boosters suddenly go broke? We have to have more cash than we make it sound.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
yeah, very bad look by miami. they better hope super mario works out or they may have real problems next go around. not sure ive seen a worsely handled coaching transition. im not a diaz fan, but he seems like a good man regardless of his coaching acumen. what was done was dead wrong and i feel very badly for him. he's the only one that was professional throughout the entire ordeal.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
yeah, very bad look by miami. they better hope super mario works out or they may have real problems next go around. not sure ive seen a worsely handled coaching transition. im not a diaz fan, but he seems like a good man regardless of his coaching acumen. what was done was dead wrong and i feel very badly for him. he's the only one that was professional throughout the entire ordeal.
He sure showed a lot more class than his employer did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.