Miami landing Cristobal with 10 year, $80 million deal

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
I thought Cristobal just extended at Duckland?

I can't really imagine going from Oregon to Miami. Talk about penthouse to outhouse.
Yeah, hard to imagine he'd want to go from this paradise...

...to America's hottest, most glamourous tourist destination, where he met and married his wife, and where his parents and whole extended family live, since he was born and raised there.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Oregon has Phil Knight's money. They could blow away any offer that comes along.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018

For a second I almost laughed at that and said, "where the Fuchs is Oregon going to get Brian Kelly and Lincoln Riley dollars?"

Then I remembered the Nike thing.

I guess if they want him bad enough they'll be able to keep him.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
He ain't going nowhere. When he retires...probably...not now.

Mornengswede

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2017
Yeah, hard to imagine he'd want to go from this paradise...

...to America's hottest, most glamourous tourist destination, where he met and married his wife, and where his parents and whole extended family live, since he was born and raised there.

That’s during a riot. Difference is Miami always looks like that.

Cristobal is going to get 9 million a year to keep working here:
screen-shot-2021-10-22-at-91634-am.webp

screen-shot-2021-10-22-at-91654-am.webp

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
That’s during a riot. Difference is Miami always looks like that.
:rolleyes: You know Miami hasn't had any riots like that since the 1980s.

They had a couple George Floyd protest marches but as soon as they made a move toward doing any damage, the police moved in and disbursed them.

You're probably right about MC staying in Oregon though, I had forgotten about the Nike connection. UM doesn't have any kind of money like that.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
...or maybe they do? I did not know Mas Tec was worth this much, or that the owners went to Cristobal's high school. His ailing mother could be a consideration as well.

From the Herald story:

Miami donors are believed to have the resources to compete with Oregon booster/Nike founder Phil Knight. Among the UM donors with interest in the athletic department are brothers Jose and Jorge Mas, owners of Mas Tec, a $6.6 billion infrastructure contractor. The Mas brothers are co-owners of David Beckham’s Inter Miami MLS Team. Another donor believed to have interest is billionaire John H. Ruiz, an attorney and entrepreneur whose Medicare litigation firm MSP Recovery last summer was valued at $32 billion.
Cristobal was an offensive tackle at UM from 1988 through 1992 under Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson, and won two national titles. He coached at UM as a graduate assistant from 1998 through 2000, then as an assistant from 2004 through ‘06. He got his first head-coaching job in 2007 at FIU, where he stayed through 2012 — then returned to UM as its tight ends coach under Al Golden for a month before leaving to be the offensive line coach, recruiting coordinator and assistant head coach for four years at Alabama.

Cristobal’s mother Clara is ill, and he flew home last weekend to spend time with her. Upon returning to Eugene, he told the Oregonian: “She’s fighting. That’s the best way to say it, and that’s exactly what I expected to see out of her. We’re going to go day-by-day.”

Cristobal graduated from Miami’s Columbus High where the Mas brothers as well as former UM fullback great Alonzo Highsmith, who also interviewed for UM’s vacant athletic director job, graduated. The deep Columbus connections could help Highsmith land a role in the new Hurricanes athletic administration. Highsmith is a longtime NFL front-office scouting executive who is the assistant to the Seattle Seahawks’ general manager.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Seeing how Oregon is playing tonight... He gone.
Going to be tough recruiting against him in South Florida.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

For a second I almost laughed at that and said, "where the Fuchs is Oregon going to get Brian Kelly and Lincoln Riley dollars?"

Then I remembered the Nike thing.

I guess if they want him bad enough they'll be able to keep him.

How do we get Bezos or Musk to be a die hard Gator fan or honorary alum?

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
"All" their fans were/are criminals? Come on, now. Some, I assume, are good people. Maybe as high as 5-7%.

Jokes aside, you are right, the vast majority of their fanbase consists of locals who do not and did not go to UM. Their actual student body is more apathetic about football than most I've seen. Maybe @secgator could tell you about that, if he has hawked his wares there. An on-campus stadium would not make a difference IMO. Not to mention, there's no space to build one that could accommodate parking.

That's why I've always thought that if FIU could get their program going somehow, they could steal the local allegiance from UM. FIU has gotten a lot bigger but it's still a glorified community college attended mostly by local Hispanics whose Mamis & Papis & Abuelos don't want them to go away to school. So they have a huge, ready-made fan base of alumni to tap into, and a nice on-campus stadium.

I believe FIU could start filling their stadium consistently and growing their program if they could only manage to put a sustained win streak together. But, their administration does not seem committed to it at all. They seem incompetent.

All I know is that back in the eighties when the U was popular and they actually filled the stadium the vast majority of the fans were bandwagonners only. When TV would pan the crowd you could see that most of the fans were wearing Dolphin gear versus hurricane gear.
Miami has always been a joke when compared with real college football programs the difference is that now they can’t even pretend

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
...or maybe they do? I did not know Mas Tec was worth this much, or that the owners went to Cristobal's high school. His ailing mother could be a consideration as well.

From the Herald story:

Miami donors are believed to have the resources to compete with Oregon booster/Nike founder Phil Knight. Among the UM donors with interest in the athletic department are brothers Jose and Jorge Mas, owners of Mas Tec, a $6.6 billion infrastructure contractor. The Mas brothers are co-owners of David Beckham’s Inter Miami MLS Team. Another donor believed to have interest is billionaire John H. Ruiz, an attorney and entrepreneur whose Medicare litigation firm MSP Recovery last summer was valued at $32 billion.
Cristobal was an offensive tackle at UM from 1988 through 1992 under Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson, and won two national titles. He coached at UM as a graduate assistant from 1998 through 2000, then as an assistant from 2004 through ‘06. He got his first head-coaching job in 2007 at FIU, where he stayed through 2012 — then returned to UM as its tight ends coach under Al Golden for a month before leaving to be the offensive line coach, recruiting coordinator and assistant head coach for four years at Alabama.

Cristobal’s mother Clara is ill, and he flew home last weekend to spend time with her. Upon returning to Eugene, he told the Oregonian: “She’s fighting. That’s the best way to say it, and that’s exactly what I expected to see out of her. We’re going to go day-by-day.”

Cristobal graduated from Miami’s Columbus High where the Mas brothers as well as former UM fullback great Alonzo Highsmith, who also interviewed for UM’s vacant athletic director job, graduated. The deep Columbus connections could help Highsmith land a role in the new Hurricanes athletic administration. Highsmith is a longtime NFL front-office scouting executive who is the assistant to the Seattle Seahawks’ general manager.
Typical Cane myopia. Phil Knight has a personal net worth over $60 Billion. None of those chumps can come close to competing with him.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Even if both ponied up Nvidia type dollars this admin historically has been too damned cheap to spend it.
Not going to have choice, at this rate coaches are going demand a **** ton

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Typical Cane myopia. Phil Knight has a personal net worth over $60 Billion. None of those chumps can come close to competing with him.
The total amount of money that the UM boosters have at their disposal doesn't really matter, as long as they have enough to match what Nike is willing to pay at Oregon.

It's not like they're going to get into a bidding war so high that one of them cannot compete and has to drop out.

We're talking about a contract in the range of $10 million/year. If UM has two boosters with combined values of $38.6 billion, they can easily cover a $10 million salary. Or a $12.5 million salary, or a $15 million salary, if they choose to do so.

I said earlier that UM couldn't compete with Nike dollars, but I didn't know UM had these two multi-billion-dollar boosters. So now it's just a question of whether they want to match Oregon or not. If they are, then it comes down to Cristobal choosing where he prefers to go, as opposed to going to the highest bidder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator