Miami landing Cristobal with 10 year, $80 million deal

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Why doesn't anyone seem to want Whittingham? The guy is a Meyer disciple.
It could be he just isn't interested in leaving Utah. Some have speculated he is near retirement. Also, some are not just money chasers when they already have plenty for their lifestyle. I've wondered that a few times myself.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with you on this which is why his current contract is perplexing. The contract averages $4.55m per year (apparently $5.5m with all incentives) which seems very low, especially in light of having Phil Knight level funding. Maybe they haven’t been entirely sold on Cristobal? Or maybe they haven’t yet acted like a bunch of dumb fcvks by throwing ungodly sums of money at a run of the mill, but not great, HC?
He is a coach who is two games over .500 the last time I checked.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Whittingham is Utah's all-time winningest coach, having won 142 games over his 17-year head coaching career does not equate to a terrible coach
No one cares about WAC wins. At all.

Which is why he is still there.

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
You pay $100 mil for a guy with a 62-60 record?

lol... ok.

And if Miami has $100s of millions avail on the snap of a finger why the hell do they practice in a middle school parking lot?

Supposedly the answer to your question is this:

Miami doesn't, but their boosters might. Some of those very rich guys may be tired of losing and are willing to open the checkbook.

Saying that, Cristobal getting an eight figure salary is laughable, but Mel Tucker just got $95 million AFTER losing to OSU by 7 touchdowns. More money than brains.

That bolded part is what's being said by some local sports talk radio guys who claim they have inside sauces. They say a group of wealthy boosters and former UM/NFL players got sick of UM in shambles, and put together money for an investment group to essentially "buy" the team and run it themselves from now on. They want to finance the whole football program at their expense, in exchange for having control over personnel decisions.

Sounds pretty far-fetched but remember UM is private and doesn't have the transparency requirements UF does when it comes to moving money around.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Supposedly the answer to your question is this:

That bolded part is what's being said by some local sports talk radio guys who claim they have inside sauces. They say a group of wealthy boosters and former UM/NFL players got sick of UM in shambles, and put together money for an investment group to essentially "buy" the team and run it themselves from now on. They want to finance the whole football program at their expense, in exchange for having control over personnel decisions.

Sounds pretty far-fetched but remember UM is private and doesn't have the transparency requirements UF does when it comes to moving money around.
That's interesting and possibly the next nail in the coffin of the NCAA

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Miami doesn't, but their boosters might. Some of those very rich guys may be tired of losing and are willing to open the checkbook.

Saying that, Cristobal getting an eight figure salary is laughable, but Mel Tucker just got $95 million AFTER losing to OSU by 7 touchdowns. More money than brains.

Miami has no money. Their boosters have money but aren’t suddenly coming off their wallet after years of not caring. I dated the daughter of a top defense attorney in Miami and he was a huge fan, but contributed nothing. And their former NFL players have a combined net worth of 130k. Everything from the glitz and glamor they portray, to the fake gold chain they put on when they cause Duke to fumble, is a facade. They are the Michael Kors clothed, Invicta watch wearing, entry level luxury brand car driving guy of college football.

If MC goes back it will be out of a misguided sense of duty, not because of money. And he would be a problem in recruiting. But the idea of getting into a bidding war with Knight and Oregon has to be one of the funniest things I’ve ever read. They’re already so far over this skis in these speculations it’s hilarious.

Last edited:

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
Just don't step into Portland. The Oregon coast is a national treasure.

This. My little brother lives a couple miles off the coast in Oregon, one of the prettiest places in America. But the people that live there may be some of the ugliest, it reminds me of a small mountain town in Tennessee or WV. Pretty sure everyone there are related. Also way more conservative then most south Georgia towns, I guess because they aren't as "diverse" as us.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
but I didn't know UM had these two multi-billion-dollar boosters
You guys wear me out.

As far as I know, UM still doesn't have any multi-billion-dollar boosters. They might though in the near future.

The Mas brothers together are worth around $1.5 billion, the majority of which is tied up in their company. Their circumstances haven't changed much recently so it's hard to imagine them suddenly deciding to sell a bunch of stock so that they can give a noticeable amount of their wealth to UM athletics. But who knows, maybe they will.

The scarier one from the article is the Ruiz guy. That guy is probably currently worth less than a hundred million, but his circumstances are changing. That $33 billion valuation that the article mentioned is for a proposed SPAC deal for his company. The company has 80 people and isn't making much in revenue today. They just have a prospectus that shows them pulling in $25 billion a year in 2025 or so. Ruiz owns 70% of the company so on paper if the deal closes at the current valuation he's worth over $20 billion on paper. The articles I'm reading make the deal look a bit questionable and to turn any of that $20 billion into cash would require market transactions to validate the value. All that being said, if this guy gives a fuchs about UM football AND the market validates the SPAC's valuation of this deal, UM could end up with an almost Phil Knight level booster in the near future. Hopefully this all unravels and John Ruiz ends up in prison.

TV Lawyer, Ex-Israeli Commando Forge a $33 Billion SPAC Deal

A $33 Billion SPAC Deal Looks Even Stranger Up Close

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Just offer him a ten year, you can't fire him 13 mil a year contract. Pass the collection plate to the 14 fans in the stands during game day. Worry about the consequences later.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
They say a group of wealthy boosters and former UM/NFL players got sick of UM in shambles, and put together money for an investment group to essentially "buy" the team and run it themselves from now on. They want to finance the whole football program at their expense, in exchange for having control over personnel decisions.
Good God. That would be a total disaster waiting to happen.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Cristobal is one of the biggest frauds in the country . Worse than Mac even. What an Absolutely dreadful football coach . Please change thread title to Overrated Christobal gets whipped by Utah TWICE.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Miami has no money. Their boosters have money but aren’t suddenly coming off their wallet after years of not caring. I dated the daughter of a top defense attorney in Miami and he was a huge fan, but contributed nothing. And their former NFL players have a combined net worth of 130k. Everything from the glitz and glamor they portray, to the fake gold chain they put on when they cause Duke to fumble, is a facade. They are the Michael Kors clothed, Invicta watch wearing, entry level luxury brand car driving guy of college football.

If MC goes back it will be out of a misguided sense of duty, not because of money. And he would be a problem in recruiting. But the idea of getting into a bidding war with Knight and Oregon has to be one of the funniest things I’ve ever read. They’re already so far over this skis in these speculations it’s hilarious.

Two things:

- Was she Jewish?

- Pictures?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member