Miami landing Cristobal with 10 year, $80 million deal

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You pay $100 mil for a guy with a 62-60 record?

lol... ok.

And if Miami has $100s of millions avail on the snap of a finger why the hell do they practice in a middle school parking lot?

This reminds me of UT saying the truck stop billionaire was going to pay Gruden and amount he cannot say no to.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
...or maybe they do? I did not know Mas Tec was worth this much, or that the owners went to Cristobal's high school. His ailing mother could be a consideration as well.

From the Herald story:

Miami donors are believed to have the resources to compete with Oregon booster/Nike founder Phil Knight. Among the UM donors with interest in the athletic department are brothers Jose and Jorge Mas, owners of Mas Tec, a $6.6 billion infrastructure contractor. The Mas brothers are co-owners of David Beckham’s Inter Miami MLS Team. Another donor believed to have interest is billionaire John H. Ruiz, an attorney and entrepreneur whose Medicare litigation firm MSP Recovery last summer was valued at $32 billion.
Cristobal was an offensive tackle at UM from 1988 through 1992 under Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson, and won two national titles. He coached at UM as a graduate assistant from 1998 through 2000, then as an assistant from 2004 through ‘06. He got his first head-coaching job in 2007 at FIU, where he stayed through 2012 — then returned to UM as its tight ends coach under Al Golden for a month before leaving to be the offensive line coach, recruiting coordinator and assistant head coach for four years at Alabama.

Cristobal’s mother Clara is ill, and he flew home last weekend to spend time with her. Upon returning to Eugene, he told the Oregonian: “She’s fighting. That’s the best way to say it, and that’s exactly what I expected to see out of her. We’re going to go day-by-day.”

Cristobal graduated from Miami’s Columbus High where the Mas brothers as well as former UM fullback great Alonzo Highsmith, who also interviewed for UM’s vacant athletic director job, graduated. The deep Columbus connections could help Highsmith land a role in the new Hurricanes athletic administration. Highsmith is a longtime NFL front-office scouting executive who is the assistant to the Seattle Seahawks’ general manager.

873867ad-f0b6-4d20-ae96-eacf58f0601e_text.gif

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Oregon has Phil Knight's money. They could blow away any offer that comes along.

I agree with you on this which is why his current contract is perplexing. The contract averages $4.55m per year (apparently $5.5m with all incentives) which seems very low, especially in light of having Phil Knight level funding. Maybe they haven’t been entirely sold on Cristobal? Or maybe they haven’t yet acted like a bunch of dumb fcvks by throwing ungodly sums of money at a run of the mill, but not great, HC?

Last edited:

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Seeing how Oregon is playing tonight... He gone.
Going to be tough recruiting against him in South Florida.

Cristobal at Miami doesn’t frighten me at all. The guy is a good, but not elite recruiter, with Oregon facilities backing him up. Miami’s facilities are shyyt compared to what he’s used to. He won’t do much at Miami. Probably would be fired in less than 5 years.

Gator4Life

Known as A Member.
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2018
Cristobal is so overrated as a coach, with a bunch of :nutswinger:fanboys on this board, it’s ridiculous.
I totally agree with you. He will be just like the last home town hero that they haven't even bothered to fire yet.
And I think 4 or 5 years he'll be right where Diaz is right now "one foot out the door!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
And if Miami has $100s of millions avail on the snap of a finger why the hell do they practice in a middle school parking lot?
Miami doesn't, but their boosters might. Some of those very rich guys may be tired of losing and are willing to open the checkbook.

Saying that, Cristobal getting an eight figure salary is laughable, but Mel Tucker just got $95 million AFTER losing to OSU by 7 touchdowns. More money than brains.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Wonder if the drubbing in PAC 12 CG will make it easier for MC to bolt to SO-FL

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Wonder if the drubbing in PAC 12 CG will make it easier for MC to bolt to SO-FL
In his last three games he’s 1-2 and was out scored 105-55. Earlier he lost to unranked Stanford and had one score victories over Fresno State, UCLA, and Cal. None of whom are ranked. Sounds a lot like he could be Diaz 2.0. I don’t think we have to worry about him very much.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Why doesn't anyone seem to want Whittingham? The guy is a Meyer disciple.
Not really. Meyer inherited KW and kept him around much like he did later with Strong. KW has been at Utah for over 25 years. I think he really had no desire to ever leave. Pretty sure he’s in his 60’s now, so I don’t suppose he ever will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator