Monday Presser 09/04/23: Post Utah

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
That is a coach that was profoundly disappointed with his team's focus and effort. He expected to be competitive and win and the outcome sucked. I din't watch the game but I gather there were significant errors of commission and omission. At crucial times.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
That is a coach that was profoundly disappointed with his team's focus and effort. He expected to be competitive and win and the outcome sucked. I din't watch the game but I gather there were significant errors of commission and omission. At crucial times.
I think the larger issue with that press conference was his complete sidestepping of multiple special teams issues. If he's not willing to adapt, he's in trouble.

Also, not a lot of commentary on the play calling other than him saying we were in 3rd and long too much.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I think the larger issue with that press conference was his complete sidestepping of multiple special teams issues. If he's not willing to adapt, he's in trouble.

Also, not a lot of commentary on the play calling other than him saying we were in 3rd and long too much.
I don't know what the issues were but he did mention adapting several time and seemed to imply only one event was a management failure.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I still like his interviews. Said from day one I was a fan of his public speaking. Don’t care for his answer on the special teams question, but he doesn’t mince words when it comes to who is to blame. Hopefully he’s willing to have some honest self reflection and do what needs to be done.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I still like his interviews. Said from day one I was a fan of his public speaking.

My thought, too, as I listened. He's well read, listens carefully, gives honest and well thought responses, even if the ST answer seemed a bit disconnected.

What do you have to do get through to your players about mental mistakes? Yell at them? Have them run steps? Embarrass them in public? Withhold the lobster tail from dinner?

I mean, they are kids. Mine still refuses to believe the trash doesn't walk itself to the garbage bin. Sometimes you want to scream.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
He mentioned the "Leadership group" several times.
Who is in that group?

Mentioned not losing is a motivating factor.

Sidestepped the play call question and seemed to try and explain away the 3 on 3 question with explaining three different groupings were ready to go on the field, depending on what Utah decided to do.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He said he can do better, when will the evidence show up?

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
He definitely comes across as genuine.
Didn’t like the comment about pace of play and a few others. But hey, also not ready to fire him. Hopefully he comes up with a better “fluid” plan and we start beating the hell out of errbody. Scheme, energy and smart disciplined play. He does make me a bit nervous as unwilling or to deviate from his schedule, but hopefully like most things in life, I am wrong ;)

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

As dumb as the tweet about QB rating. The only team that played someone the caliber of Utah was Lsu, and they got hammered by #8 at what was technically a neutral site game. They’re the third best, but losing by 13 to #14 on the road equals next to last? Get bent.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
A few things I took away from the presser:

He said buck stops with him and anyone to blame is him.
Losing "want's to get that taste out".
Talked about Trey Wilson and that he is going to be playing more. I hope he also gets the other Freshman WR's in.
Encouraged that he said we have to get the problems fixed. Ok, so he knows......now lets fix it.
Not sure who all the leadership group is, but I like he communicates issues with leaders of the team. Ultimately they are going to have to buy in and make it happen.

Now on til Saturday. Is it all Coach Speak or will we see something different. And as I have said, we may not even know tis week. UT will definitely tell us.

Last edited:

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
He seemed to be surprised that we didn't take the field and dominate. This was the same setup and result as the Vandy game last year after a victory at A&M. When lousy preparation happens repetitively we have a coaching problem, and our guys didn't show much fire in this game. Not ready to play, amateurish mistakes, O-line a disaster with 2 coaches assigned to them. Nape presents a slower paced, analytical approach that may not result in the kids lighting it up on gameday. Napier must defeat this problem immediately or this team will be the joke that the sports media already decided we are. This is the biggest stage Napier has ever been on, we'll see if he's up to the job. Good luck to Napier and the Gators heading into this season with a fresh black eye. Hope he turns it around - this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator