Monday Presser 09/04/23: Post Utah

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Everybody is saying that we need to run the ball more. But Shane doesn’t believe that. He thinks we need to throw it more. And we need to put the young receivers in. He said he hasn’t seen this skill level at receiver since the Spurrier years and the Trask year.

He said the best way to score is to throw the damn ball down the field. He thinks Napier’s play calling is not aggressive. He said stop fiddle farting around and be aggressive. He said also stop with all the shifting, and the slowing down at the line. Go in with the play and go at them.

BN is reasonably flexible.

I can see this happening.

200.gif

Last edited:

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Here’s a crazy stat that I just heard about on Shane’s podcast:

Mertz is the 4th QB in school history to throw for 300 yards, 30 completions, and 70% completion rate in a game.

The other 3?

Grossman
Tebow
Trask
:shocked:

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Addition by subtraction. Dude was never in position.
Well, okay. Then why was he #2. Is #3 even worse? I do not understand being "out of position", unless a staff calls a formation, which defines assignments, and the player follows that but it creates a negative result on the field. But that would be on staff. Other than that, hard to understand a player consistently not being where he could make a play.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Mertz is the 4th QB in school history to throw for 300 yards, 30 completions, and 70% completion rate in a game.

The other 3?

Grossman
Tebow
Trask
How often do we give a guy 44 attempts?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Everybody is saying that we need to run the ball more. But Shane doesn’t believe that. He thinks we need to throw it more. And we need to put the young receivers in. He said he hasn’t seen this skill level at receiver since the Spurrier years and the Trask year.

He said the best way to score is to throw the damn ball down the field. He thinks Napier’s play calling is not aggressive. He said stop fiddle farting around and be aggressive. He said also stop with all the shifting, and the slowing down at the line. Go in with the play and go at them.

Well, he's a QB...so......of course he wants to throw it more.

How often do we give a guy 44 attempts?

Apparently that's not enough according to some QBs.

-------

That said, I understand to go with run plays to draw the defense in and open up the passing lanes. But if the opposing defense is already stacking the box....more completions are begging to be had.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014

The other 3?

Grossman
Tebow
Trask
And Emory has the school records for yards in a game. But, there is no comparison of EJ and Tebow.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
And Emory has the school records for yards in a game. But, there is no comparison of EJ and Tebow.
Yeah that’s why I refer to it as a crazy stat.

But we’ll see whether it translates.

We’ll know a lot more in the next couple weeks.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah that’s why I refer to it as a crazy stat.

But we’ll see whether it translates.

We’ll know a lot more in the next couple weeks.
Well interestingly enough, of those three other guys with those stats, only one played for Spurrier and he didn't do it until Spurrier left.

Grossman had over 70% and 300+ yards a few times under Spurrier, but didn't need to throw the ball 45 times to get there.

And maybe that's more an indictment of Napier's offense than it is of Mertz.

Hell, when Tebow did it under Meyer he didn't throw it 45 times either. He was 31/35 for 482 yards.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Well interestingly enough, of those three other guys with those stats, only one played for Spurrier and he didn't do it until Spurrier left.

Grossman had over 70% and 300+ yards a few times under Spurrier, but didn't need to throw the ball 45 times to get there.

And maybe that's more an indictment of Napier's offense than it is of Mertz.

Hell, when Tebow did it under Meyer he didn't throw it 45 times either. He was 31/35 for 482 yards.
General comment: Great that Mertz had attempts and completions in Napier's prolific pass offense but what is his TD/attempts? Saturday is was 1 for 44. Moving the ball between the 20s is awesome. TOP and yards gained aren't how we decide winners. I hope Napier gets that. The offense is just ugly to look at, difficult to watch. He needs a teacher, badly. Someone to sanity check his philosophy. I said I wish he and Spurrier, or whomever, would sit and watch the film breakdown GNFP made and discuss. So much for Napier to learn. God dimn the motion, shifting, bunch formations, 12 men heavy sets. Yes, I KNOW other teams use it occasionally, but not as a base philosophy. His system looks HSish. I know I know, "Napier eats, breathes, and sleeps football... been around the game all his life".

No way in hell Smith is even considering UF since last Saturday. But I bet I know which Florida team he would consider, if he were to stay in-state.

The problem we fans have is, it's too late for him to change this season and he's a stubborn person, in addition to his fielding flawed concepts and disorganized game management.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator