Monday Presser 09/04/23: Post Utah

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
I still like his interviews. Said from day one I was a fan of his public speaking. Don’t care for his answer on the special teams question, but he doesn’t mince words when it comes to who is to blame. Hopefully he’s willing to have some honest self reflection and do what needs to be done.
I'm starting to turn blue from holding my breath...

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I agree with you 100%. And I'm going to piggyback off this. If he wants to survive here, he's going to have to do a few things. I believe he's gonna have to win atleast 5 games and somewhat hold this recruiting class together. That's just to survive to next year and I think it's doable.
Once we hit this off-season he needs hire an OC and whoever the OC wants to bring in to coach the oline because they usually go hand in hand. Wholesale changes to the offensive staff and his philosophy. Because he's been fired once as an oc and headed straight for another firing. Assign someone to coach special teams. And lastly, he needs to actually attack the portal this off-season. None of this " methodical " and "patience " when it comes to portal. That hasn't worked out too well. Grab some game changers and take advantage of it. I don't see how any coach could watch fsu , Colorado, tcu and say "why didn't we do that?"There's no way he survives next year without all of this happening

With that crazy article published about the rebuild here, Napier is going to need time. But we are not a patient fan base after 13 years of inconsistencies.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I'll probably bring this up more but why would you expect a team to have emotion and passion to win with the NIL/Transfer Portal mentality. I know some of those men are Gators and really want to play for our elite University but most of the starters are hired hands. They are here to showcase their physical talents to the NFL.
Did you watch Colorado beat TCU?

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Taking accountability for the result was the right response. The buck does stop with the Napier. He knows by looking at video what went wrong and now he and his team need to fix the mistakes, learn from what happened and move on. Is it coaching, players or a combination of both.
On the STC he didnt give any ground at the press conference, but good bet that he has made some adjustments . His ego as HBC is not going to let the media boys tell him how to handle special teams. One thing about being the head coach is that your performance is based on W's and L's . Or as Bill Parcells liked to say "you are what your record says you are" .
I don’t think it’s the ST structure. He has different coaches responsible for KO, FG P, KR, PR. Each is a separate job anyway. So do your job.

Whoever has PR cost us 2 TDs by extending the 2 3’s drive and fielding a punt so deep. The FG units cost us 3. KR & P cost some important field position. Whoever put 8 & 10 players out for anything. Dumb. Those guys are responsible and should be embarrassed and fix their unit(s).

Not saying those lost us the game, but we would have been in the fight.

Last edited:

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
I don’t think it’s the ST structure. He has different coaches responsible for KO, FG P, KR, PR. Each is.

So whoever has PR cost us 2 TDs by extending the 2 3’s drive and fielding a punt so deep. The FG units cost us 3. KR & P cost some important field position. Whoever put 8 & 10 players out for anything. Dumb. Those guys are responsible and should be embarrassed and fix their unit(s).

Not saying those lost us the game, but we would have been in the fight.
Too many cooks.....

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Seen Napier's post-game analysis, seen Finebaum's analysis. Agree with Finebaum; I don't think he has a dog in the fight. Looking at our W-L record under our new coach (total ASS), Nape needs to put some results on the board NOW. This ain't Louisiana Billy. Show us what you have done here, and where do you think we're headed? Winning is everything. Not planning. Winning.

Fun N' Stun

Nov 15, 2014
With that crazy article published about the rebuild here, Napier is going to need time. But we are not a patient fan base after 13 years of inconsistencies.
Napier only needs time because he made a series of stupid decisions like refusing to hire an OC, hiring 2 OL coaches that can't recruit, hiring a terrible DC in year one, amateur hires on offense, whiffing on a good qb recruit or transfer.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Napier only needs time because he made a series of stupid decisions like refusing to hire an OC, hiring 2 OL coaches that can't recruit, hiring a terrible DC in year one, amateur hires on offense, whiffing on a good qb recruit or transfer.
It's also obvious that he slept with your wife.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Here’s a crazy stat that I just heard about on Shane’s podcast:

Mertz is the 4th QB in school history to throw for 300 yards, 30 completions, and 70% completion rate in a game.

The other 3?

Grossman
Tebow
Trask

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Everybody is saying that we need to run the ball more. But Shane doesn’t believe that. He thinks we need to throw it more. And we need to put the young receivers in. He said he hasn’t seen this skill level at receiver since the Spurrier years and the Trask year.

He said the best way to score is to throw the damn ball down the field. He thinks Napier’s play calling is not aggressive. He said stop fiddle farting around and be aggressive. He said also stop with all the shifting, and the slowing down at the line. Go in with the play and go at them.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Everybody is saying that we need to run the ball more. But Shane doesn’t believe that. He thinks we need to throw it more. And we need to put the young receivers in. He said he hasn’t seen this skill level at receiver since the Spurrier years and the Trask year.

He said the best way to score is to throw the damn ball down the field. He thinks Napier’s play calling is not aggressive. He said stop fiddle farting around and be aggressive. He said also stop with all the shifting, and the slowing down at the line. Go in with the play and go at them.
I agree whole heartedly. We don't need to run the ball into freakin 8 man boxes. We need to force them out of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator