Monday Presser 09/04/23: Post Utah

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Remember, in the elite University view of things, Coach Napier is a professor of football, teaching young minds to analyze the factual inputs and react based on critical thinking and cold, dispassionate, unemotional logic.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I'll probably bring this up more but why would you expect a team to have emotion and passion to win with the NIL/Transfer Portal mentality. I know some of those men are Gators and really want to play for our elite University but most of the starters are hired hands. They are here to showcase their physical talents to the NFL.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
My thought, too, as I listened. He's well read, listens carefully, gives honest and well thought responses, even if the ST answer seemed a bit disconnected.

What do you have to do get through to your players about mental mistakes? Yell at them? Have them run steps? Embarrass them in public? Withhold the lobster tail from dinner?

I mean, they are kids. Mine still refuses to believe the trash doesn't walk itself to the garbage bin. Sometimes you want to scream.
Yes they are kids and there are mental mistakes. But what I clearly see out of Sling Blade as with almost all coaches is that they do not physically practice the mental aspects of the game. For example special teams, punt return. Let's say you tell a kid to never ever ever field a punt inside the 10, 8 or 5 yd line, whatever line you choose. You place each potential punt returner on that yard line, load the ball machines up with footballs that simulate punts and vary those punts. DO NOT TAKE ONE STEP BACKWARDS. Very simple. Just like you want to practice charging low punts even if to fair catch to save yardage. Practice never touching a kickoff that reaches the end zone if you are happy with the 25 yd. line. If not, then you better have a better kick off return idea set up. Just like having a QB on the run chasing him with 30 foot brooms and forcing him to throw the ball out of bounds to save yardage. These are all simple drills, but over a season every yard they save makes the potential for success greater.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Yes they are kids and there are mental mistakes. But what I clearly see out of Sling Blade as with almost all coaches is that they do not physically practice the mental aspects of the game. For example special teams, punt return. Let's say you tell a kid to never ever ever field a punt inside the 10, 8 or 5 yd line, whatever line you choose. You place each potential punt returner on that yard line, load the ball machines up with footballs that simulate punts and vary those punts. DO NOT TAKE ONE STEP BACKWARDS. Very simple. Just like you want to practice charging low punts even if to fair catch to save yardage. Practice never touching a kickoff that reaches the end zone if you are happy with the 25 yd. line. If not, then you better have a better kick off return idea set up. Just like having a QB on the run chasing him with 30 foot brooms and forcing him to throw the ball out of bounds to save yardage. These are all simple drills, but over a season every yard they save makes the potential for success greater.
Pfft ... details, details.

:lol:

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I like Billy and I have said that he is rebuilding the roster and that he really cares about his players and I think he turns the bad culture into good. But I have also said that I do not believe he should be the OC since he is tasked with so many other things. His offense is soft as hell. He does not have any fire (at least I havent seen it) and if he hates losing enough you would think he would try most anything to win. His refusal to not hire an OC will be his demise. Not only does he need an OC because he has too much on his plate but he just isnt very good at it. I wish him well but he only has so much time. Do the right thing or prove me wrong.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
I'll probably bring this up more but why would you expect a team to have emotion and passion to win with the NIL/Transfer Portal mentality. I know some of those men are Gators and really want to play for our elite University but most of the starters are hired hands. They are here to showcase their physical talents to the NFL.
Hired guns is what the portal has brought us. That's why we have to be active in it each year early and not waiting until the last minute just to fill a spot. Go get the best guys available if they are better than what you have already.

Completely off topic, but saw a tweet from Tim Brando today that might explain some of the media going on. He said that there are far to many fans posing as journalists in this day of online reporting and podcasts that are trying more to help or hurt their teams/rivals than being honest reporters. Not saying Billy doesn't deserve some scorn, but it's odd he has this much negativity against him this early when they begged us to give the previous 3 coaches more years when the crash had already happened and pumped guys like Norvell when they were losing weekly for more time.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
I like Billy and I have said that he is rebuilding the roster and that he really cares about his players and I think he turns the bad culture into good. But I have also said that I do not believe he should be the OC since he is tasked with so many other things. His offense is soft as hell. He does not have any fire (at least I havent seen it) and if he hates losing enough you would think he would try most anything to win. His refusal to not hire an OC will be his demise. Not only does he need an OC because he has too much on his plate but he just isnt very good at it. I wish him well but he only has so much time. Do the right thing or prove me wrong.
It should be a requirement after the last two that an OC is a must have, but if they don't want it from the start will it make a difference if they bring a guy in just to run the same stuff. It's only going to work if he brings someone in with a new updated vision of a 2023 offense and if on the hot seat that's nobody.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
It should be a requirement after the last two that an OC is a must have, but if they don't want it from the start will it make a difference if they bring a guy in just to run the same stuff. It's only going to work if he brings someone in with a new updated vision of a 2023 offense and if on the hot seat that's nobody.
Agreed. He cant dictate the offense to a new OC. He must hire one he can trust and let him do his thing. Just about anyone can do better. Too bad we didnt get scooter man.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
This team lacks emotional leaders with the passion to win. I hate to say it but that includes BN.
You don't hate to say it or you wouldn't have. You reveled in it.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
:eek3:

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I think the larger issue with that press conference was his complete sidestepping of multiple special teams issues. If he's not willing to adapt, he's in trouble.

Also, not a lot of commentary on the play calling other than him saying we were in 3rd and long too much.
What did you expect him to say? "I've decided to move one of the OL coaches to ST but I'm not expecting much and I've fired myself as OC. I hired a guy from indeed.com who was just fired after one game at a high school. Yeah, he probably sucks but he's gotta be better than me."

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As dumb as the tweet about QB rating. The only team that played someone the caliber of Utah was Lsu, and they got hammered by #8 at what was technically a neutral site game. They’re the third best, but losing by 13 to #14 on the road equals next to last? Get bent.
Billy is on thin ice but there is no ignoring the fact that coaches like Norvell and Diaz haven’t had to deal with even remotely the caliber of opponents that Napier has. That said, we know what organized, disciplined football looks like and we don’t have it.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
What did you expect him to say? "I've decided to move one of the OL coaches to ST but I'm not expecting much and I've fired myself as OC. I hired a guy from indeed.com who was just fired after one game at a high school. Yeah, he probably sucks but he's gotta be better than me."
This would be a good start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator