Mullen Confirms: Jaydon Hill tears ACL

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Whenever I need used, I shop Facebook Marketplace.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Injuries will be the 2021 excuse for sucking cawk.
tenor.gif

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is reminds me of people claiming Butters was a magical 3 star whisperer because some of this 3 star shtt started on the field.

Some HAS to start. If you suck completely at building a talent base, yes someone still starts.

The question is who was a UF level performer, All SEC at least honorable mention. That is what a UF roster should mostly be.

Really only Greenard was a game changer or close to it. Van Jefferson was a high end talent that would have played for SOS or Meyer and actually produced but of course we didn't utilize him. I dont think he was in the top 100 WRs yards.

Last edited:

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
The question is who was a UF level performer, All SEC at least honorable mention. That is what a UF roster should mostly be.

Really only Greenard was a game changer or close to it. Van Jefferson was a high end talent that would have played for SOS or Meyer and actually produced but of course we didn't utilize him. I dont think he was in the top 100 WRs yards.

I think that's the wrong metric to measure the guys we gain through the portal though: All-Conference type talent/production would be nice...but realistically, few All-SEC or All-American types transfer to begin with. If they're an entrenched starter, most stay where their at and just go to the NFL when they can. Most people entering the portal do so for a few reasons 1) not getting playing time where they're at and want to move 2) not happy out of state and prefer a change of scenery 3) they're draft-eligible, but want to improve their stock at a better team or in a better conference with different coaches.

We've taken guys who fall within one of those 3 buckets and some have proven to be good to great performers. Greenard was a difference-maker and Van Jefferson/Grimes were decided improvements on the field from the 3 star WRs of the Butters era who couldn't get separation if their lives depended on it.

As much as it would be nice to get All-SEC type production through the portal, if we get a reliable starter, that's a win IMO. Van Jefferson and Grimes weren't 1000 yard WRs, but they were good enough that opposing defenses couldn't ignore them--leaving guys like Pitts and Toney in single coverage or in winnable matchups. THAT makes a difference at the end of the day.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think that's the wrong metric to measure the guys we gain through the portal though: All-Conference type talent/production would be nice...but realistically, few All-SEC or All-American types transfer to begin with. .
It isnt the standard for an elite team.

If you just want more cowbell, keep relying on garbage bin players.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Van Jefferson and Grimes weren't ...
Stop putting Grimes in the same sentence. He wasnt a starter til his last year for good reason. He wasnt one of the top 6 receivers on the roster.

And it was the other way around, Pitts, Jefferson, Swain, Kadarius being on the field drawing the elite corners and usually double coverage (triple for Pitts often) meant Grimes got a #3 or #4 DB and his meager production (300 yds, 400 yds, 500 yds).

He sucked. Just a big, stiff dude with no ablity to get open.

Last edited:

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
It isnthe standard for an elite team.

If you just want more cowbell, keep relying on garbage bin players.

Elite teams generally recruit at an elite level and don't really rely on the transfer portal.

Bama had Dickerson from last year's team and that's about the only guy who did much of anything in the last 5-6 years. The others: Carl Tucker, backup TE--no receptions last year; Charlie Scott, Punter--AL ranked 118 in punting average last year; two kickers (Austin Jones--who lost the job after 3 games; Andy Pappanastos, who famously missed the would-be game-winning FG in the CFP vs georgia); and two WRs: Gehrig Dieter (15 receptions for 214 yds, 4 TDs) and Richard Mullaney (38 receptions for 390 yds and 5 TDs).

Didn't look up Clemson, but I'm sure it's much of the same. Ohio State got Justin Fields...but after that, no one of substance.

Until we're recruiting on that level (and I doubt we will under Mullen), getting a reliable starter who can produce is a pretty good barometer to judge them by. I'm not "happy" about it per se...but I'd rather see Van Jefferson out there than some 3 star WR who won't seriously threaten a defense or change how they scheme against you. Wouldn't you?

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Stop putting Grimes in the same sentence. He wasnt a starter til his last year for good reason. He wasnt one of the top 6 receivers on the roster.

And it was the other way around, Pitts, Jefferson, Swain, Kadarius being on the field drawing the elite corners and usually double coverage (triple for Pitts often) meant Grimes got a #3 or #4 DB and his meager production (300 yds, 400 yds, 500 yds).

He sucked. Just a big, stiff dude with no ablity to get open.

Definitely not as good as Van Jefferson or our other WRs...but his production is comparable (or better) than the transfer WRs Bama has picked up over the years, as posted before. Just food for thought.

On his own, he would've struggled vs better corners, no question. There's a reason he went undrafted...

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
Yeah not sure why donkey keeps railing on the tranfer portal. If not for the players Mullen has gotten through the portal he'd be averaging at least 1 more loss per year. Hell every team he's fielded while at Florida has had 3-5 transfers starting somewhere.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone find a report that confirms the rumor? I'm wondering if the 08Aug 247 article on "Hill ready to challenge at starter after high school ACL tear" feel good comeback story was mistaken for a new injury report. Someone maybe saw "ACL tear" in the headline, didn't read the article and immediately reported seeing Hill in a boot...
Will Hill is still playing??? Who knew!

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Yeah not sure why donkey keeps railing on the tranfer portal. If not for the players Mullen has gotten through the portal he'd be averaging at least 1 more loss per year. Hell every team he's fielded while at Florida has had 3-5 transfers starting somewhere.

I'm sure I will be corrected on this if I'm wrong, but I don't see @Swamp Donkey really railing on the transfer portal per se, it's more the reliance on it that you so eloquently pointed out above that is the issue. If Mullin and crew were good recruiters like CUM and SOS, we wouldn't have to be so dependent on getting a Greenard or Grimes to fill out the roster.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure I will be corrected on this if I'm wrong, but I don't see Donk really railing on the transfer portal per se, it's more the reliance on it that you so eloquently pointed out above that is the issue. If Mullin and crew were good recruiters like CUM and SOS, we wouldn't have to be so dependent on getting a Greenard or Grimes to fill out the roster.

Everybody’s plugging with Portal right now. Even Saban.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
in the same way some people have an occasional glass of wine to complement a meal vs. a daily paper bag of MD20/20...
Saban sips while Mullen guzzles.

Well Mullen brought in two DL. Hopefully they come out blazing so the linebackers can actually do their jobs.

Saban just went and grabbed a Tennessee 4*LB from the portal to shore up his LB corp.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I'm sure I will be corrected on this if I'm wrong, but I don't see @Swamp Donkey really railing on the transfer portal per se, it's more the reliance on it that you so eloquently pointed out above that is the issue. If Mullin and crew were good recruiters like CUM and SOS, we wouldn't have to be so dependent on getting a Greenard or Grimes to fill out the roster.

I won't speak for Donk...but I think you are SPOT on.

Why recruit?...That's hard...let's just pick from the Portal.

The dude ain't sweating like a Saban or an Urban...he goes on vacation before a MAJOR Bowl...really...What about recruiting?

Well...He doesn't do that.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
UF

Portal IN:
CB Blades
CB Perkins
OL Boateng (PWO)
DL Newkirk