Mullen Confirms: Jaydon Hill tears ACL

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Of all the guys on the Portal OUT list, the only one I think had any reasonable chance to play was Kimbrough. The few times I saw him on the field he seemed to be in the general area, which for our secondary is quite an accomplishment.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Bama

Portal IN:
LB Henry To’To
WR Jameson Williams
CB Brylan Lanier
P Jack Martin

Portal OUT:
LB Mwikuta
LB Davis
LB Kaho
LB Harris
RB Edwards
RB Robinson
CB Turnage
CB Williams
K Bulovas
S Smith
DT Sopsher

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Bama

Portal IN:
LB Henry To’To
WR Jameson Williams
CB Brylan Lanier
P Jack Martin

Portal OUT:
LB Mwikuta
LB Davis
LB Kaho
LB Harris
RB Edwards
RB Robinson
CB Turnage
CB Williams
K Bulovas
S Smith
DT Sopsher

While I agree with the premise you are saying everyone uses it, it's the type of use. Being that you didn't give a time table, I'm going to assume this is over the last four years (Mullen's Tenure). The list of in's is less than half the outs, because Saban recruits better.

I have stated before that I don't mind the use of the transfer portal, I have an issue with the reliance. If you recruit well, you don't have to have so many "in". Now part of the problem is that Butters last class lost a quarter of their class before the first snap, and Mullen's first two classes had a quarter not make the fall roster. The 2020 and 2021 classes have had better retention.

But the reliance on transfer portal is like an NFL team that tries to build through the Free Agency. No successful team builds through Free Agency (ie Jerry Jones, Daniel Synder). You build through the draft (recruiting) and add the players that put you over the top or final minor holes in Free Agency (Portal). Look at the Bucs roster, the team did a great job in the last four years outside of picking Jameis. They added a hand ful of pieces, but one was the most important position. They went from 9-7 with the qb giving the ball up 37 times to Super Bowl Champs. But the foundation of that team was through the draft.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
While I agree with the premise you are saying everyone uses it, it's the type of use. Being that you didn't give a time table, I'm going to assume this is over the last four years (Mullen's Tenure). The list of in's is less than half the outs, because Saban recruits better.

I have stated before that I don't mind the use of the transfer portal, I have an issue with the reliance. If you recruit well, you don't have to have so many "in". Now part of the problem is that Butters last class lost a quarter of their class before the first snap, and Mullen's first two classes had a quarter not make the fall roster. The 2020 and 2021 classes have had better retention.

But the reliance on transfer portal is like an NFL team that tries to build through the Free Agency. No successful team builds through Free Agency (ie Jerry Jones, Daniel Synder). You build through the draft (recruiting) and add the players that put you over the top or final minor holes in Free Agency (Portal). Look at the Bucs roster, the team did a great job in the last four years outside of picking Jameis. They added a hand ful of pieces, but one was the most important position. They went from 9-7 with the qb giving the ball up 37 times to Super Bowl Champs. But the foundation of that team was through the draft.

No. These are 2021 only.

And of course Saban recruits better.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah not sure why donkey keeps railing on the tranfer portal. If not for the players Mullen has gotten through the portal he'd be averaging at least 1 more loss per year. Hell every team he's fielded while at Florida has had 3-5 transfers starting somewhere.
Because it is stupid and the path to Cowbell forever. Your not buidling anything by takes some trash that cant vet playing time elsewhere for one year, maybe two.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Everybody’s plugging with Portal right now. Even Saban.
The difference is Saban adds 15 5.9-6.1s too.

And we grab the leftovers in GA and Alabama

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No. These are 2021 only.

And of course Saban recruits better.

The problem is Saban isn't the only one recruiting better than UF... There is no reason would should have been basically in double digits in recruiting rankings almost for the last decade. But without real buy in from the administration, it's gonna be this way.

Just a general question from 2011 to 2021 what would be our average recruiting ranking after we remove the guys that didn't make it to their first fall roster (didn't qualify, got arrested, just didn't show up)?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well Mullen brought in two DL. Hopefully they come out blazing so the linebackers can actually do their jobs..
Not unless they brought a Defensive Coordinator with them.

One gap scheme will allways mean our 215 pounds linebackers get a 315 pound SEC guard in their grill every single play.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Malzahn may have a say in that.

It is downright embarrassing that Clown Town is kicking our fuchsing teeth in.

Malzahn just grabbed an OL over us.

Has UCF or USF ever gotten a recruit over us in our history?

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
New England?

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
I'm sure I will be corrected on this if I'm wrong, but I don't see @Swamp Donkey really railing on the transfer portal per se, it's more the reliance on it that you so eloquently pointed out above that is the issue. If Mullin and crew were good recruiters like CUM and SOS, we wouldn't have to be so dependent on getting a Greenard or Grimes to fill out the roster.

It's a bit specious an argument to make though since neither Meyer or Spurrier had to worry about the transfer portal when they were here. Graduate transfers were brand-new when Meyer got here and it was extremely rare (want to say it was year 2 when Meyer nabbed a grad transfer from Utah who came over and was a CB starter--but that was the first year it was allowed and can't remember anyone after that).

College football has changed and 3/4 star guys who are unhappy don't have to wait around and suck it up anymore: many just go for a change of scenery for the allure of more playing time.

I would love it if Mullen was a better recruiter. It was one of the biggest knocks on him when he took the job--and the skepticism was completely warranted: as he's been nowhere near the level he needs to be at to compete for titles. But he has proven himself adept at landing top guys out of the portal--many of whom became starters or significant producers. In as much as it's important to tell a 5* guy "look at xx and xx guys who came here as 5* players...we got them to the NFL"...it's just as important to tell a 4 or 5* transfer portal guy "we took Greenard from a late-round NFL pick to a 3rd round pick...we took a 5* Van Jefferson from Ole Miss's bench and made him into a 2nd round NFL pick."

In a perfect world, Mullen would do BOTH...but I won't knock on him for utilizing the transfer portal since he's used it fairly smartly thus far and has a good track record. If the two incoming DL are instant upgrades and Bowman turns out to be a weapon in the backfield, will any of us complain? Doubt it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.