Mullen > Kirby Tweet

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
For now, that's only good for PR, which may or may not sway the top talent. DM's gotta get recruiting going or those early numbers won't be sustainable.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Let's be rill here, the only reason Shart won a "championship" is because Barn beat Bammer.

This. I agree with others that comparisons at this point don’t mean much. For that matter, Mullen’s near decade head start could be factored in, which completely skews things. So while I’m happy with his first 17 games, this isn’t my preferred metric.

But yes, the moment Alabama beat uga in the NC game, it basically discredited the notion of SEC champs. They won the East but clearly weren’t the best team in the conference. And if not for Aub having to play uga, Alabama and uga again without their starting RB to close the season, we’re not even having this conversation.

In 2015, if not for a 4th and 15 miracle throwback, fumble play by Arkansas, McElwain would’ve faced OleMiss again in Atlanta, despite Alabama obviously being the best team in the West. So in theory, based on the game earlier that year, UF could’ve won the SEC. Doesn’t mean we were the best team.

It’s like saying LSU was the best SEC team in 2011 or 2001.

Last edited:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
In 2015, if not for a 4th and 15 miracle throwback, fumble play by Arkansas, McElwain would’ve faced OleMiss again in Atlanta, despite Alabama obviously being the best team in the West. So in theory, based on the game earlier that year, UF could’ve won the SEC. Doesn’t mean we were the best team.
There aren't many non-Gator plays in history that infuriate me more than this one. Although when you think about it, Mac doesn't get fired in 2017 if he had won the SEC in 2015. So maybe it wasn't so bad after all.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Kirby unfortunately won an SECCG in his second year and went to the CFP. Don't see Mullen getting there this year with this roster. He needs to start crooting on a much higher level.
Kirby took over a top ten roster with 3 NFL backs and a 5 star quarterback, nfl safety and linebacker. Not really relatable starts

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Yeah that's awesome that he's got better stats the 1st 2 years but let's see who does better year 3-5. I also think it's funny recruiting was left out. I'm trying to like Mullen but as we beat a dead horse he has to pick it up in a major way recruiting. I'm not saying it can't happen but so far it's not impressive.
Some on this board carelessly permit football to get in the way of recruiting.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
There aren't many non-Gator plays in history that infuriate me more than this one. Although when you think about it, Mac doesn't get fired in 2017 if he had won the SEC in 2015. So maybe it wasn't so bad after all.

Yeah, absolutely no regrets on that. And I didn't even realize the ramifications at the time of the play. It's just one of those weird "what if" type moments that may have drastically changed history.

And back to 2017, unless I'm wrong, in the 27 years of SECC games, it's only the second time a regular season win(thorough beating at that) was reversed in Atlanta/Bham, with 2001 Lsu being the other. So it's an anomaly for sure.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
Kirby took over a top ten roster with 3 NFL backs and a 5 star quarterback, nfl safety and linebacker. Not really relatable starts

Hence why I don't think he can achieve what Kirby achieved without recruiting a better roster.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

At this point next year, it's very possible that there will be a couple OL, a QB, 2 RB's, 2 WRs, and several defenders from that roster starting for NFL teams.

So, yes, not quite the same as our team this year or last.

And that group managed to get blown out in one loss, collapsed in historical fashion in another, and beat a completely outmatched ND team by 1.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Some on this board carelessly permit football to get in the way of recruiting.
The reason we struggle with Kentucky is because we recruit like Kentucky.

Teams like Kentucky don't win championships.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
In 2015, if not for a 4th and 15 miracle throwback, fumble play by Arkansas, McElwain would’ve faced OleMiss again in Atlanta, despite Alabama obviously being the best team in the West. So in theory, based on the game earlier that year, UF could’ve won the SEC.
Butters doesn't beat Ole Miss without Grier. Hell, without Grier calling his own plays, Butters doesn't beat Ole Miss with Grier.

There is a reason we didn't do anything after halftime.

Last edited:

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Kirby came into a lockerroom stacked with talent.

Mullen inherited Chumps and Butter MacShark's 3 Stars that trained for ballet and ate PBJs

Our best QB had not started in 7 years and only Nuss even considered him.

UGAs 2nd string QB is a Star at THE OSU.

YOU have to cut Mullen some slack.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Blasphemy............you walk in that door we want excellence, FIVE STARS and SOS/URBAN warfare from day one.........
you must be like me, a fan of MEDIocritY...........

Yes, a coach that won two NCs for us.

Oh and don't say anything good about another team...not support mind you...ANYTHING positive.

I like Mullen...I didn't before. I prefer a different Offense but good execution and winning is all I expect.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This. I agree with others that comparisons at this point don’t mean much. For that matter, Mullen’s near decade head start could be factored in, which completely skews things. So while I’m happy with his first 17 games, this isn’t my preferred metric.

But yes, the moment Alabama beat uga in the NC game, it basically discredited the notion of SEC champs. They won the East but clearly weren’t the best team in the conference. And if not for Aub having to play uga, Alabama and uga again without their starting RB to close the season, we’re not even having this conversation.

It’s like saying LSU was the best SEC team in 2011 or 2001.

Could have would have should have. Either you won your conference or not. The Playoff doesn't change that fact. If Bama gets upset and we win the conference against someone else we are the conference champs. Imo OSU should have went over them for having won their conference and having the better wins resume despite 2 losses.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Could have would have should have. Either you won your conference or not. The Playoff doesn't change that fact. If Bama gets upset and we win the conference against someone else we are the conference champs. Imo OSU should have went over them for having won their conference and having the better wins resume despite 2 losses.

My goodness, Fever. I love your posts, but none of that is the point. It isn’t a matter of Alabama possibly being upset. They were upset. And if not for a ridiculous fluke 4th down play by Ark, we would have faced a team in Atlanta that we’d slaughtered at home earlier that year. And we were still probably the 4th best SEC team that year, at best. And the tide could’ve still crushed us en route to a NC.

So yes, we would have the “crown”. But would it have truly meant we were the best team if circumstances allowed us to avoid playing the real best team in the county? You and I both know there’d be a major asterisk next to that claim.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I would have celebrated and loved the SEC championship if we had somehow won it in '15, but that's the same team that needed an overtime miracle to beat FAU at home two weeks before the SECCG. It would have been a sham at best.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Georgia had the 6th highest talent composite in 2015, and it stayed at 6th in 2016. There’s no real debate here. Its not even close. Their roster wasn’t marginally better. It was way better.

Mullen Inherited a top 250 running back sure. And two middle of the pack 3 stars. I don’t know how anyone could with a straight face compare that to inheriting Sony Michel and Nick Chubb.

Brice Ramsey was a top 100 qb recruit and a JR. They also had 4 star Greyson Lambert.

Mullen inherited fragile and broken Franks and a no star who hadn’t started in 7 years.

They had Terry Godwin, Isiah McKenzie, at WR. Lorenzo Carter. Roquan Smith. D’andre Walker. Deandre Baker. Isiah Wynn. Malcom Parrish. They had a slew of guys that were top 200 that are now in the league.

Sure we had an over achieving two star in Taylor. Nobody else you mentioned aside from Henderson and Marco are going to the league.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Georgia had the 6th highest talent composite in 2015, and it stayed at 6th in 2016. There’s no real debate here. Its not even close. Their roster wasn’t marginally better. It was way better.

Mullen Inherited a top 250 running back sure. And two middle of the pack 3 stars. I don’t know how anyone could with a straight face compare that to inheriting Sony Michel and Nick Chubb.

Brice Ramsey was a top 100 qb recruit and a JR. They also had 4 star Greyson Lambert.

Mullen inherited fragile and broken Franks and a no star who hadn’t started in 7 years.

They had Terry Godwin, Isiah McKenzie, at WR. Lorenzo Carter. Roquan Smith. D’andre Walker. Deandre Baker. Isiah Wynn. Malcom Parrish. They had a slew of guys that were top 200 that are now in the league.

Sure we had an over achieving two star in Taylor. Nobody else you mentioned aside from Henderson and Marco are going to the league.
And while Shart signed Eason, he committed to Richt. Supposedly, he asked Richt for advice and Richt advised Eason to stay w/Ugly. By fortunate coincidence, Shart was recruiting Fromm for Bama (and if I recall correctly had secured a commitment), but got him to flip to Ugly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.