Napier gets 7 year $51.8M contract

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Fify

ULL threw more yesterday. But that QB is so errant throwing the ball he made Jeff Dipshtt and Giraffe blush. Numbers would have looked better and maybe thrown more with more competent receivers and QB.

Not sure we have the talent now but you never know how good X and Fraziars could be with semicompetent coaching. Im not sad to see Shorter and Copeland moving on, and hopefully us moving on from the big slow Wide Blocker/TE bybrid types.

However if the Napp studies Saban he should notice that Saban Offense 2.0 (passing) just destroyed Saban Offense (running Dwagball) 1.0 yesterday in the SECG. The answer for what our offense should look like is obvious.

This is the first hire I havent hated since 2005.
Is it too much to ask that we could actually be good at running AND throwing? Seems to this caveman that the best way to attack a defense is by making them defend everything, then hit 'em where they are weak.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
The 7 year total is okay, but would have preferred that it start lower (at about 5 million) and ramp up faster to reach the 7 year total. Also, hope the buyout goes both wsys.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Fify

ULL threw more yesterday. But that QB is so errant throwing the ball he made Jeff Dipshtt and Giraffe blush. Numbers would have looked better and maybe thrown more with more competent receivers and QB.

Not sure we have the talent now but you never know how good X and Fraziars could be with semicompetent coaching. Im not sad to see Shorter and Copeland moving on, and hopefully us moving on from the big slow Wide Blocker/TE bybrid types.

However if the Napp studies Saban he should notice that Saban Offense 2.0 (passing) just destroyed Saban Offense (running Dwagball) 1.0 yesterday in the SECG. The answer for what our offense should look like is obvious.

This is the first hire I havent hated since 2005.
I'm proud of you sir. Excuse me, I have something in my eye....

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
7 years is too long. We might figure out by year 4 that his conservative play calling and running clock just to get through games isn't going to work here. Probably won't take 4 years to figure that out.
Second comment is the right response to the first comment. If it's low buyout number, who cares? If it's a high one and Napier sh*ts the bed, which I highly doubt, it would impact the budget available for the next coach.

But whatever, it's a gamble. No reward without risk. I support this bet. I'm still shocked they made it, and hired a "traditional" type of SEC coach instead of trying to please the "change" advocates.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Is it too much to ask that we could actually be good at running AND throwing? Seems to this caveman that the best way to attack a defense is by making them defend everything, then hit 'em where they are weak.
Old school thinkers: you have to batter them between the tackles and when they drop the safeties only then can you pass.

It is just stupid **** like "defense wins championships" that gets passed down from neanderthal to neanderthal. Ever seen a team win a game 0-0?

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The 7 year total is okay, but would have preferred that it start lower (at about 5 million) and ramp up faster to reach the 7 year total. Also, hope the buyout goes both wsys.
Id like to start at 3 mil, give a mil for beating Ugly, a mil for beating clowns, a mil for SECG appearance, 2 mil for championship etc. Do the same for the coaching staff. They need skin in the game.

The buyouts should be a year or two of whatever they earned the last year or last two years.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It’s a massive contract, but it’s the standard now. Like an entitlement, there’s no going back once it’s out there. And I also agree with whoever said if we lowballed it would warrant its own criticism here. The idea of not caring went out the window when we fired Mullen when many thought that was a preposterous notion. Whether or not Stricklin executed things correctly is yet to be determined. But everything about the firings and hiring says we’re at least trying to be great, even if only by force of the boosters.

Bottom line, we just need to win.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
We got a coach ten times better than the last one at a smaller price. Sounds like a home run to me.

If it will trigger you further, I'll go another step and say I'm THRILLED with this contract. :dance:

The Napier haters have been well established by now:

ThreatMatrix
NVGator
GBHOR
Thought Criminal
Brooks
Swamp Donkey (1/2 the time - he's bipolar)
dontme.gif

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
tenor.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays