Napier gets 7 year $51.8M contract

Bait'n Gator

Go away..... bait'n
Lifetime Member
Mar 14, 2015
Hell I wish they'd of given him 70 million a year. I'd rather over pay for football coaches then waste more money on all the other gay ass sports no one cares about. Good for him, now go start recruiting and earn it.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
No surprises to me really on this contract. Some will say too much, some not enough, and some just right. But with the market the way it is right now it is what it is. This is going to be a rebuild but I do think with the 7 years it gave him the commitment to go and get shyt done. Waiting to see the $$$ they gave him for assistants. That to me will tell the true commitment from UF. Unfortunately this is going to be a wait and see. So now it's time for Napier to do what he can do. And the boards will be assessing this from now on. What I'm watching now. Is how the staff is built and most importantly Recruiting. Next check in....early signing period.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Does any one team offering seven or 10 years actually think the guy is going be around that long? I doubt it. It’s a market statement and a statement of commitment in today’s market. All teams have to go in with a contingency plan to bail out early.

But make no mistake. We’re quickly reaching the point where you won’t get anyone worth a hoot for under five years. The market has ratcheted up.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You of all people. We hire a Sun Belt HC for $7+M. You don’t see the Fuchs schit of that?
We got a coach ten times better than the last one at a smaller price. Sounds like a home run to me.

If it will trigger you further, I'll go another step and say I'm THRILLED with this contract. :dance:

The Napier haters have been well established by now:

ThreatMatrix
NVGator
GBHOR
Thought Criminal
Brooks
Swamp Donkey (1/2 the time - he's bipolar)

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I like the contract.
I think, it’s about right where it should be.
Not a winning Power 5 Splash hire type contract but, an actual Conference Champion at the group of 5 level, Contract.

I think it shows a commitment by the administration.

Our new HBC needs that commitment to succeed. Recruits need to see that commitment to succeed.

This is big boy football now.
Time to step it up, more than a couple notches.
Let’s save this first ESD with a few surprises, get some recruiting momentum and get this thing rollin’

Will he coach the bowl game?

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I feel like Billy will at least try to earn his pay. I think he works hard for us. I hope he can handle the pressure.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Coaches now are getting 10 year contracts for 10 plus million and we have ass clowns around here bitching we overpaid for what most consider a top two hire. Not too mention they think we have financial issues….this place is littered with idiots!

dz_23

Rich and Famous
Lifetime Member
Apr 3, 2016
Its the going rate for a college football coach at a major program, established or Ronald McDonald.

I’m in and fully behind our new coach. If it doesn't work out in 3-4 years, booster will step in once again. My expectation is that it works out, excited for a new brand of football

GBHOR

Its Not Awful
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
We got a coach ten times better than the last one at a smaller price. Sounds like a home run to me.

If it will trigger you further, I'll go another step and say I'm THRILLED with this contract. :dance:

The Napier haters have been well established by now:

ThreatMatrix
NVGator
GBHOR
Thought Criminal
Brooks
Swamp Donkey (1/2 the time - he's bipolar)

Look at you with your list, you gonna put a special "letter" or "star" by our avatars too? So people remember mein fuhrer.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Gatorchatter mobile app

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The Napier OFFENSE haters have been well established by now:

Swamp Donkey
Fify

ULL threw more yesterday. But that QB is so errant throwing the ball he made Jeff Dipshtt and Giraffe blush. Numbers would have looked better and maybe thrown more with more competent receivers and QB.

Not sure we have the talent now but you never know how good X and Fraziars could be with semicompetent coaching. Im not sad to see Shorter and Copeland moving on, and hopefully us moving on from the big slow Wide Blocker/TE bybrid types.

However if the Napp studies Saban he should notice that Saban Offense 2.0 (passing) just destroyed Saban Offense (running Dwagball) 1.0 yesterday in the SECG. The answer for what our offense should look like is obvious.

This is the first hire I havent hated since 2005.

Last edited:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Fify

ULL threw more yesterday. But that QB is so errant throwing the ball he made Jeff Dipshtt and Giraffe blush. Numbers would have looked better and maybe thrown more with more competent receivers and QB. Not sure we have the talent now.

However if the guy studies Saban he should notice that Saban Offense 2.0 (passing) just destroyed Saban Offense (running Dwagball) 1.0 yesterday in the SECG.

This is the first hire I havent hated since 2005.

I watched a bit here and here and there and the ULL offense was nothing more than Cousin Eddie and a zillion other wanna be coaches running grade school offenses. However I am not going to extrapolate that just b/c ULL was running a simple, grade school offense means that is what we will see at UF. I will wait. But I do know this. Execution of the play design is far more important that the actual offense that is being run.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think he will coach the bowl game; he should be recruiting and staffing up until the dead period starts.

I like what Ox suggested in his last podcast; bring the HBC back for one last game!
No coach is going to step in and coach a team in 2 weeks. Even with spring ball and fall camp it is hard to install much of a new playbook.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I don't really care what we pay him if he recruits and wins.

Same here.

There isn’t much “we” in the payment for me. I contributed a little but I’m no longer a season ticket holder with the requisite contributions built in. Easy for me to support other people spending their money.

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
No coach is going to step in and coach a team in 2 weeks. Even with spring ball and fall camp it is hard to install much of a new playbook.

Yep, I agree and it is probably loony to suggest that Spurrier coach the bowl game, but I stated I liked Ox's suggestion. Anyway, Steve and I are fraternity brothers and in my humble opinion, it would be an outstanding tribute to all he has done for the Gators to see him on the sidelines.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Same here.

There isn’t much “we” in the payment for me. I contributed a little but I’m no longer a season ticket holder with the requisite contributions built in. Easy for me to support other people spending their money.
A good portion of the money comes from WE watching the games on TV.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah. It's under the crazy market. But the buyout clause is key. Let's face it. We're taking a chance. If things go South after three years. Ugh. If things go well, the way things are going he's worth it and more. Anything resembling decent football in the first two years would be a miracle.

I still think college football has gone nutty, to the extent that there will be a lot of programs holding the bag and muttering what the hell did we do.

The crazy market is the market, so like you said.. it is under market.

Let's face it... there is nobody out there we AREN'T taking a chance with. I like Billy's chances to succeed. That doesn't mean he will, but I think on paper, he has all the right stuff... there is no way to know how that translates until somebody is in the job.

Doesn't matter who it is. It is hard to find good coaches, that is why so many big name programs are still trying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator