7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'll buy you a t-shirt too. what size?

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Of course Florida has those types of boosters. In the past there wasn't a "legal" avenue for them to get money to the kids.

Exactly. Florida has the country’s 4th largest state GDP, representing over 5% of the entire Country’s GDP. It is 5X larger than Alabama. Three are ahead of us, California, NY and Texas. Expect the Horns and Aggies to get a boost from this too. Syracuse and UCLA, not so much.

NewSure Gainesville car dealers can do the same as Georgia car dealers but who has the larger market? Who can afford to pay more? UGA has Atlanta (pop. 6 million) and not much competition for the rest of the state.

If only Gator fans were allowed to live in Miami, Tampa, Orlando and Jacksonville. This argument of Georgia having a bigger market is the dumbest on here. Market size is where we are helped.
I will acknowledge this, Georgia is 9th in state GDP and still less than 60% of Florida’s. But, the dwags seem to have an outsized impact there where we have 3 blue bloods.

The schools aren't going to ALLOW anything. The school, alum and boosters cant pay them a damn thing you fuchstard.

The problem isn’t the schools, or even NCAA, it’s that the state legislatures can set different laws. The state of Florida’s NIL law could easily be more restrictive than Georgia’s. If so, our football loving state government will fix it quickly. It will be short term problem.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
The NFL draft = every athlete's dream ... soon an athlete will buy his draft position. Save the Browns from going bankrupt.?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The problem isn’t the schools, or even NCAA, it’s that the state legislatures can set different laws. .
The state legislature cant limit student's ability to sell themselves or work jobs outside of the university either.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If only Gator fans were allowed to live in Miami, Tampa, Orlando and Jacksonville. This argument of Georgia having a bigger market is the dumbest on here. Market size is where we are helped.
I will acknowledge this, Georgia is 9th in state GDP and still less than 60% of Florida’s. But, the dwags seem to have an outsized impact there where we have 3 blue bloods.

Florida as a state does have more GDP, but that GDP is going to be divided among the 3 major football universities, the two second tier football schools, and a bunch of also rans. Georgia has one top tier football university, a second tier Georgia Tech, and a few also rans.

This posted analysis it's a top layer, incomplete data set because of factor you chose not to include, or made the choice not to include because it didn't fit your argument. Florida by far has a larger GDP, but it also has more groups sucking at that source of income. Florida should get more of the share than both the Girls school up north and ThugU but they are also going to get their share.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
The state legislature cant limit student's ability to sell themselves or work jobs outside of the university either.

I didn’t write that they could. You suggested boosters would be prevented from paying, which is a limit on player pay. The only way that is implemented is through a state law limit (regardless of its ultimate ability to stand up to scrutiny). Right now, Georgia is openly telling Boosters to contact athletes well we are telling boosters they are not allowed to do the same thing.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. You suggested boosters would be prevented from paying, which is a limit on player pay. .
Wrong. The NCAA still bans booster or University pay to athletes, period. It is mentioned in the SC opinion.

. Right now, Georgia is openly telling Boosters to contact athletes well we are telling boosters they are not allowed to do the same thing.
Source? Have you reported to NCAA?

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Florida as a state does have more GDP, but that GDP is going to be divided among the 3 major football universities, the two second tier football schools, and a bunch of also rans. Georgia has one top tier football university, a second tier Georgia Tech, and a few also rans.

This posted analysis it's a top layer, incomplete data set because of factor you chose not to include, or made the choice not to include because it didn't fit your argument. Florida by far has a larger GDP, but it also has more groups sucking at that source of income. Florida should get more of the share than both the Girls school up north and ThugU but they are also going to get their share.

Ah, if only I had thought of that:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ah, if only I had thought of that:

No, you only took it part way... it's ok. Because you didn't fully think the impact of those other schools. The 3 blue bloods are only part of the equation.

DallasTXGator

Supporting Member
Dec 21, 2020
This is interesting in that Swonk is correct; the NCAA specifically said boosters could not pay athletes.

False. Boosters can pay athletes if they own a business. Funny thing is many boosters own businesses. Perhaps that's why they have enough money to be boosters. See how this works.

Gym owner plan: $540K to Miami football players

"I'm not looking to profit from this," Lambert said. "I want to try to bring people together and make our team better. I've got too many Gator and Seminole friends that have been s----ing on me for the last 20 years. I want to reverse it."

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
False. Boosters can pay athletes if they own a business. Funny thing is many boosters own businesses. Perhaps that's why they have enough money to be boosters. See how this works.

Gym owner plan: $540K to Miami football players

"I'm not looking to profit from this," Lambert said. "I want to try to bring people together and make our team better. I've got too many Gator and Seminole friends that have been s----ing on me for the last 20 years. I want to reverse it."

This is the type of business creativity that they apparently don’t teach in law school.

We’re 4 days in and a gym owner has already found a fairly obvious way around the system. I’m sure wealthy boosters across the country are sitting in their offices, dumbfounded at how they’ll ever be able to get around this themselves. After all, they can’t pay players. The rules says so. I’m just sure of it.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
This is the type of business creativity that they apparently don’t teach in law school.

We’re 4 days in and a gym owner has already found a fairly obvious way around the system. I’m sure wealthy boosters across the country are sitting in their offices, dumbfounded at how they’ll ever be able to get around this themselves. After all, they can’t pay players. The rules says so. I’m just sure of it.

And here is where Law is misisng the piont that UF is already trying to make it harder on its athletes than other schools. This not so complicated gym idea is explicitly against UF's rules:

Now, UF may simply have no authority to enforce this in the legal/court arena, but they certainly could find a student inelligible for not following the school's own additional rules until one of them challenges the rule.

Another LawDonkey error is the idea that state laws are trumped by the NCAA rules. The NCAA Interiom Rule details are found here - NCAA adopts interim name, image and likeness policy

The very first bullet point reads:
  • Individuals can engage in NIL activities that are consistent with the law of the state where the school is located. Colleges and universities may be a resource for state law questions.
Also notably absent from the NCAA rule is any limit on booster affiliation and NIL agreements that he so vehemently is suggesting applies.

Last edited:

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
More evidence that boosters can be directly involved, just not per UF admin:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
And here is where Law is misisng the piont that UF is already trying to make it harder on its athletes than other schools. This not so complicated gym idea is explicitly against UF's rules:

Now, UF may simply have no authority to enforce this in the legal/court arena, but they certainly could find a student inelligible for not following the school's own additional rules until one of them challenges the rule.

Technically there’s nothing in our own rule(from what I’ve seen) that truly prevents us from doing it as well. There’s no real way to directly tie a booster to compensation under the new law. What exactly would constitute “arranging”? If a booster just so happens to run into a player while out one night and introduces him/her to a fellow member of an LLC that later wants to endorse him, how do you prove that was intentional and orchestrated? No different for a recruit on an OV. Unless we’re running around self regulating and intentionally trying to harm ourselves, we could do it. That’s been my issue all along. Not that any one particular school will hold an advantage. I actually agree that it likely even levels the playing field to a degree. I just don’t like what it will become and know without question that rules will mean nothing because there’s literally hundreds of loopholes just waiting to be exploited.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Technically there’s nothing in our own rule(from what I’ve seen) that truly prevents us from doing it as well. There’s no real way to directly tie a booster to compensation under the new law. What exactly would constitute “arranging”? If a booster just so happens to run into a player while out one night and introduces him/her to a fellow member of an LLC that later wants to endorse him, how do you prove that was intentional and orchestrated? No different for a recruit on an OV. Unless we’re running around self regulating and intentionally trying to harm ourselves, we could do it. That’s been my issue all along. Not that any one particular school will hold an advantage. I actually agree that it likely even levels the playing field to a degree. I just don’t like what it will become and know without question that rules will mean nothing because there’s literally hundreds of loopholes just waiting to be exploited.

It's more straightforward: I am a UF Booster. I own a business. If I wanted to pay a player to rep my company, the UF Admin has told its students that would violate their NIL rule. Whether I could use an intermediary or not, there is a substantial risk for the athlete of violating the rule.

Here is my point, even with other peoples' money, the UF Admin is being paternalistic, giving our athletes less chance to get $ than other schools (see our full price tuition payment difference from even f$u), and putting the school at a wholly unnecessary, voluntary competitive disadvantage. We aren't following any rule from the State, NCAA or SEC by limiting booseter involvement. We are simply choosing to attempt to limit our athletes more than other schools by eliminating the market most likely to pay for the NIL in the first place. It probably violates the recent SC ruling too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator