***NCAA Tournament*** Florida vs Virginia

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
UF is at the moment up to 3 in the Kenpom ratings and that includes Nova is still ahead of UF at 2.

BTW, I am sitting in the Beijing Airport waiting for my flight home. I was in the air between Kaifeng and Beijing during the game alas. But it was quite the result, not unlike 5 years ago.
去gators

Wuerffel4Pres

No offense
Lifetime Member
Aug 27, 2016
There were a sh@tload of smartazz talking heads that were predicting a 1st round loss for us against... I forget, some sh@t team

It's comments like these that turn people away from this board. Now, I can take it. But calling me a smartazz talking head is absolutely not true and is uncalled for. ETSU was a senior laden team and we were coming off two losses to lowly Vandy, not playing up to our potential, so yes I predicted a first round upset. It's called a PREDICTION. And FWIW, once we won that game, I actually PREDICTED we'd beat Virginia. I liked our chances better in that one. And while we're at it, I like our chances vs. Wisconsin better than I did in that first round matchup. So do these predictions also make us smartazzes?

Gator through and through... predictions be damned.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
I'll eat some crow here. Very impressive win and good Job Mike...game plan was spot on. I was happy to see us put the ball on the floor and go to the basket often instead of just settling for the 3 ball although DRob and Leon shot lights out behind the arc. Just a very good performance. I gotta a lot of UVA friends here in Va including my wife that's a graduate of UVA. I had some fun with them last night. Oh, Gak needs more minutes.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
It's comments like these that turn people away from this board. Now, I can take it. But calling me a smartazz talking head is absolutely not true and is uncalled for. ETSU was a senior laden team and we were coming off two losses to lowly Vandy, not playing up to our potential, so yes I predicted a first round upset. It's called a PREDICTION. And FWIW, once we won that game, I actually PREDICTED we'd beat Virginia. I liked our chances better in that one. And while we're at it, I like our chances vs. Wisconsin better than I did in that first round matchup. So do these predictions also make us smartazzes?

Talking heads refers to analysts and "experts" on ESPN, not to you. That's what that term means usually, and is what I believe he's saying.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

I actually think he was referring to the analysts and pre-game guys in the media, not here. If he was talking about here the correct term would be "talking d!ck-heads".

:proud:

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
I actually think he was referring to the analysts and pre-game guys in the media, not here. If he was talking about here the correct term would be "talking d!ck-heads".

:muttley:
It was exactly the pre-game guys and analysts I mentioned. I didn't pay any attention to anyone, let alone Wuerful's predictions, on this board.
Well, I did mention analysts.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Great game. The team played great.

This twitter quote says it all about DRob.

"DRob is playing like he doesn't want to go to class anymore"

Virginia had no player score in double digits. Don't know if I have ever seen that.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
DRob needs to go to class one more year and learn how to play at that level more consistently. Then he can up his income potential. He goes missing in some games. If he can maintain this level of play and Allen comes around, we can make the final four I think.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Really? Well, that's your opinion. As for me, I'll take the #8 seed every time over the #1 seed.
I can understand that position but Uva almost beat Nova in Philly and probably should have won that game. We will have to play the best game of the season to beat Wisc based on what I saw. But that's what it takes at this point anyway so bring it.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Good to see the Haters and Complainers OWN up and eat crow with the Gators WINNING and yalls guilty conscience. Think about this for a minute or two, we held a team to 39 POINTS in a 40 MINUTE game!! This on the BIGGEST College Basketball stage, the NCAA Tourney. That is just crazy and we DESTROYED them. Go Gators!!

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I can understand that position but Uva almost beat Nova in Philly and probably should have won that game. We will have to play the best game of the season to beat Wisc based on what I saw. But that's what it takes at this point anyway so bring it.
We almost beat Gonzaga as well.....

Regardless, if we play like we did against UVA, I like our chances.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
I love having the Gators going to the Sweet 16 already, means I can enjoy my birthday today a little more. Hopefully there are a bunch more upsets today to make it even better lol

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't know anything about this UVA team going in, but when they announced that they would be starting three guards I felt pretty good about our chances.

It was great to see FSU lose by 20+ and us win by 20+ on the same floor.

Also, that was by far the best gator crowd of any neutral site basketball game I've been to.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
On a broader basketball note, I wonder about the sustainability of Tony Bennett's system at UVA. He has a great pedigree and is well respected but when your overall philosophy is based on holding the opponent to around 50 points there is little margin for error against good teams.

I think Kenny Smith said at halftime that Virginia's system doesn't allow for them to win when they have a bad shooting night. They seem to be exceptionally one sided and in danger of losing any game when they fall behind by a dozen points or so. I'd be curious as to whether Bennett doesn't try to recruit elite offensive players or he just can't get them to come to UVA. I felt confident at halftime that they didn't have the offense to rally against the Gators.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
On a broader basketball note, I wonder about the sustainability of Tony Bennett's system at UVA. He has a great pedigree and is well respected but when your overall philosophy is based on holding the opponent to around 50 points there is little margin for error against good teams.

I think Kenny Smith said at halftime that Virginia's system doesn't allow for them to win when they have a bad shooting night. They seem to be exceptionally one sided and in danger of losing any game when they fall behind by a dozen points or so. I'd be curious as to whether Bennett doesn't try to recruit elite offensive players or he just can't get them to come to UVA. I felt confident at halftime that they didn't have the offense to rally against the Gators.
Not only that. Games are officiated differently now. It favors the offense. You can't get away with being so physical on the defensive end. He's a pretty sharp coach so imagine he'll be able to adapt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator