Off-season program - Phase 5

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I remember the day I heard SOS was leaving. Crazy as it sounds I felt like my heart sank and it couldnt be true. I was like now what? Anyone else remember that day?

Yep I remember exactly where I was, when it happened, and felt like I just got runt over by a semi. I was busy doing my thing and it was like........

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Some good to read/hear comments from Wingo about how he is doing:

I feel like I have a purpose. I feel like I’m being developed. I just have to be consistent every day, go out there and work hard and work on my craft. Also, to be a leader. Being vocal, so when those guys look to me they know I have their back. That’s just the biggest part of growing up and going into my junior season I’m just real excited. I feel more comfortable to make plays with these guys out there. I have their back and they’ve got mine.

Taking angles to the ball, being able to take a correct angle to the ball. Not giving away the cutback. Being able to know how to use your arms and I would say also just being able to get off the blocks. That’s a huge thing we were practicing.

I’d say coach Bateman is doing a great job. Help with tackling, we do a lot of tackling drills and I know that’s a big thing that everyone is kind of looking for this season, that we can tackle well. Coach Bateman has been very strict about that, how we’re tackling, how we’re making angles, just being able to break down the film every day. We’re doing a lot of extra meetings and stuff like that. We’ve been meeting on our own.

And some comments about Wingo by Coach Bateman:

Derek has been awesome. I think he loves football and loves Florida. I feel like he’s probably putting some pressure on himself but I think he’s doing it at a really high level right now. His situation is unique because I recruited him in high school, tried to. It’s a very different position than he played growing up. I think he’s just starting to feel comfortable back there but he’s a stud of a kid.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Some good to read/hear comments from Wingo about how he is doing:

I feel like I have a purpose. I feel like I’m being developed. I just have to be consistent every day, go out there and work hard and work on my craft. Also, to be a leader. Being vocal, so when those guys look to me they know I have their back. That’s just the biggest part of growing up and going into my junior season I’m just real excited. I feel more comfortable to make plays with these guys out there. I have their back and they’ve got mine.

Taking angles to the ball, being able to take a correct angle to the ball. Not giving away the cutback. Being able to know how to use your arms and I would say also just being able to get off the blocks. That’s a huge thing we were practicing.

I’d say coach Bateman is doing a great job. Help with tackling, we do a lot of tackling drills and I know that’s a big thing that everyone is kind of looking for this season, that we can tackle well. Coach Bateman has been very strict about that, how we’re tackling, how we’re making angles, just being able to break down the film every day. We’re doing a lot of extra meetings and stuff like that. We’ve been meeting on our own.

And some comments about Wingo by Coach Bateman:

Derek has been awesome. I think he loves football and loves Florida. I feel like he’s probably putting some pressure on himself but I think he’s doing it at a really high level right now. His situation is unique because I recruited him in high school, tried to. It’s a very different position than he played growing up. I think he’s just starting to feel comfortable back there but he’s a stud of a kid.

After hearing some of the reports and hearing things like this, DID THE PRIOR STAFF EVER COACH AT ALL? Everything from parking to food to housing to coaching and on and on and on were missing. I am glad to hear that these kids are responding to what was going on and how things are different. Anyone including Mullen should never, ever be allowed to coach again. No wonder he lost that team so quickly.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Getting reports of players actually being developed is a huge breath of fresh air. It's terribly sad I have to say that.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
After hearing some of the reports and hearing things like this, DID THE PRIOR STAFF EVER COACH AT ALL? Everything from parking to food to housing to coaching and on and on and on were missing. I am glad to hear that these kids are responding to what was going on and how things are different. Anyone including Mullen should never, ever be allowed to coach again. No wonder he lost that team so quickly.
In many ways this is also an indictment of Stricklin. He either wasn’t paying attention or didn't know what he was doing or both.
I enjoy watching many UF sports other than football and it’s the ADs job to pay close attention to all of it, but as we all know football is #1 and #2 is not even within shouting distance. It’s troubling he could not see what everyone else saw. Time will tell of course, but he may have actually gotten it right this time.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
In many ways this is also an indictment of Stricklin. He either wasn’t paying attention or didn't know what he was doing or both.
I enjoy watching many UF sports other than football and it’s the ADs job to pay close attention to all of it, but as we all know football is #1 and #2 is not even within shouting distance. It’s troubling he could not see what everyone else saw. Time will tell of course, but he may have actually gotten it right this time.
Both Foley and Stricklin did a hideous job, particularly through the Butters and Mullen eras. It was allowed to go on entirely too long. However, it's embarrassing to pull the plug on people that you hired.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
However, it's embarrassing to pull the plug on people that you hired.
This is very true, but you’d think a guy in that business would know what comes with the territory. He does seem to have figured a few things out lately.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Getting reports of players actually being developed is a huge breath of fresh air. It's terribly sad I have to say that.

Seems to me we had similar reports and sentiments when Mullen started - and we were freed of Mac, Nuss, Nord & Co. as well as the forgettable S&C guy whoever that was. Despite the concerns about his ceiling, we’d at least be tougher etc.under Mullen. He was a step up in some respects, then he collapsed for various reasons.

Starting well and maintaining across 2,3 years and more are different things. It does look like BN has a much more comprehensive structure and process in place. We wait on the results…but I love what he’s doing so far.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Seems to me we had similar reports and sentiments when Mullen started - and we were freed of Mac, Nuss, Nord & Co. as well as the forgettable S&C guy whoever that was. Despite the concerns about his ceiling, we’d at least be tougher etc.under Mullen. He was a step up in some respects, then he collapsed for various reasons.

Starting well and maintaining across 2,3 years and more are different things. It does look like BN has a much more comprehensive structure and process in place. We wait on the results…but I love what he’s doing so far.
I’m too lazy to go back and read the old threads, but my memory is that the general consensus around here was Dancin’ Dan was an upgrade over Butters, but overall a “meh” hire. I was a lurker in those days, but that’s pretty much how I felt, so perhaps my memory is clouded.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I’m too lazy to go back and read the old threads, but my memory is that the general consensus around here was Dancin’ Dan was an upgrade over Butters, but overall a “meh” hire. I was a lurker in those days, but that’s pretty much how I felt, so perhaps my memory is clouded.

Right - that we’d be stuck with 8-10 win seasons and maybe worse, good being the enemy of great.

His collapse was much worse than those modest expectations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator