***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs Butt-Chuggers***

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
The numbers don't lie....... we have a great passing game and no running game, all coupled with a dysfunctional defensive mentality. (Coach)

Still my Gators but not satisfying to watch and I dread playing BAMA......... Saban must giggle while watching tapes of our defense and running game.
We aren't good enough on defense to look ahead. One game at a time, beat LSU.

Last edited:

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Bama only put up 45 at half.. I would say LSU's D is about on par with ours, only a little younger.

Might have put up 60 had they opted to use any of their 3 timeouts, but chose to refrain and asked if they could save them for another time, :lmao2:

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
We won the East and are going to the championship game in a year that some here stated was going to be a major drop off year.

The goal is to win that game but that very likely won’t happen. But it is still important to our program.

First, b/c it demonstrates that the love affair so many here have with Kirby Bangs is horribly misplaced. Georgia was not and is not invincible and he sucks.

2nd it builds our brand. We are competing for championships and kids want to compete.

Last....to win it you have to be in it. Look at many championship teams (pros and college) in multiple sports. Many times you have to pay your dues before you lift the trophy.

Despite all the negativity around here we have improved each of the past 3 years. We are closing the gap. I’m enjoying this immensely even if individual games or even moments have been frustrating. But I really enjoy watching this team.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
That's why I want to take it one game at a time, a ten win season puts you in rarefied air, 11 even better, 12 top of the mountain.

Last edited:

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Despite all the negativity around here we have improved each of the past 3 years. We are closing the gap. I’m enjoying this immensely even if individual games or even moments have been frustrating. But I really enjoy watching this team.

I dont think we really have improved the past 3 years. The defense has definitely declined. A lot. ST is meh. Offense has made a drastic turn around. But we went from having solid to great defenses over the last decade to absolute garbage in 3 years. We have made it to SECCG and had those East Banners as well. While I dont want to sound like a debbie downer and appreciate the turnaround of our offense in a big way, other parts of the program are floundering and it appears the only thing that will save it going forward is the portal. Not even sure if the portal will save the D.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Here's the thing. You have to score to win and this team can score. We had no chance against Bama in the Butters years, no chance. Warts and all, this team has a punchers chance. Dan is going to have to go all in on Trask. We're in the game because of Trask and the passing game. We need to pass, pass and pass some more and then hope we catch a break and get a turnover or two. Its a long shot for sure, but stranger things have happened. If we can go toe to toe with these guys for a while, they might tighten up. Nobody has punched them in the mouth this year. I look forward to seeing how they respond if we do.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I dont think we really have improved the past 3 years. The defense has definitely declined. A lot. ST is meh. Offense has made a drastic turn around. But we went from having solid to great defenses over the last decade to absolute garbage in 3 years. We have made it to SECCG and had those East Banners as well. While I dont want to sound like a debbie downer and appreciate the turnaround of our offense in a big way, other parts of the program are floundering and it appears the only thing that will save it going forward is the portal. Not even sure if the portal will save the D.

I can’t disagree with much here. But we are better off winning the east than not. Future improvement will be dependent on breaking the vice grip Bama, Clemson and Georgia have on elite recruiting. Winning 10-12 games a year and winning the East helps.

You never celebrate division titles because they are meaningless. But you can sell recruits on the idea THEY are the key in taking it to the next level.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Our defense last year was 7th nationally, the year before it was on par with the previous couple of years, roughly in the 20-something range. The dropoff this year has been enormous.

Meanwhile we are averaging something like 43 points a game, which is far higher than anything we've seen going back to 2009, which is the last year I can find stats for (36ppg Tebow's final year). Mullen's worst scoring offense during his 3 years is several points better than the best offense Mactard or Chimptard ever put on the field. We are definitely on the right track execution-wise, we just need recruiting to pan out.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
You sound like what you say you don't want to sound like.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Here's the thing. You have to score to win and this team can score. We had no chance against Bama in the Butters years, no chance. Warts and all, this team has a punchers chance. Dan is going to have to go all in on Trask. We're in the game because of Trask and the passing game. We need to pass, pass and pass some more and then hope we catch a break and get a turnover or two. Its a long shot for sure, but stranger things have happened. If we can go toe to toe with these guys for a while, they might tighten up. Nobody has punched them in the mouth this year. I look forward to seeing how they respond if we do.

Ole Sis gave them a pretty good game earlier this year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Here's a thought, get White Or Braun in the game and move Gourage to RT. It's like the coaches watch practice film but never watch game film on their players.
Sometimes I think we dont watch film of ourselves or the other team.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It amazes me that people think this i an OL problem not a Dan Mullinz problem.

No amount of talent could fix this with Mullinz trying to run options w an non running QB.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Our defense last year was 7th nationally, the year before it was on par with the previous couple of years, roughly in the 20-something range. The dropoff this year has been enormous.
Do have to be really football illiterate to not see how fundamentally fuchsed up Grantham's defenses have always been.

He has been third and Grantham since he was at Ugly and frankly he is worse now than then (bc then he at least ran 3 big DL).

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
The numbers don't lie....... we have a great passing game and no running game, all coupled with a dysfunctional defensive mentality. (Coach)

Still my Gators but not satisfying to watch and I dread playing BAMA......... Saban must giggle while watching tapes of our defense and running game.

We may lose to Bama, but I don't understand dreading any team. Someone on the board commented about how Bama often wins before the game even starts because they have gotten into the opposing teams heads. I dread opera, I dread CNN and Fox alike, but I don't dread Bama. Respect them for the great program that they are but "dread", pfff. And I hope our team and coaches take the same attitude.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
I wrote that and I believe it to be true. The good thing is the Gators don't fall into that category. We need to beat LSU or much of the luster will be lost in the SECCG. I look forward to the challenge of Alabama, but in due time.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

A lot of good points in this thread. I don’t get the constant negative slant given what we’re doing, but I think it’s just sort of the mentality of some. Bottom line, we are playing for a chance at the SEC crown and a playoff birth, which is what you have to do before you can win either of them. That puts us on track and is a credit to Mullen.

I quoted you because of the defense issue. Again, to be clear, I’m not a fan of Grantham and his bend and hopefully don’t break style(though I actually think Trask’s yardage numbers are much less otherwise). But we are still just giving up 25 points per game in SEC play, which is about 5 points more than we generally did under Spurrier.

In looking at comparisons, we allowed 7 more points against Uk than did Alabama, 2 more points against ut than they did, and 4 more to the dogs. And of course we both gave up a ton to OM. My point is, while it’s partly scheme and personnel for us(and COVID’s impact on defenses everywhere), I think a lot has to do with the style of play. The first two years under Mullen, we were much more ball control oriented and had these long drives with Franks. Quick strike offenses put the defense back out there much quicker and I think it contributes to the stats for both us and Alabama. In our highest scoring games, we’re allowing the most points. In the games where we’ve had to work at it on offense and are more modest in our numbers, the defense has held the opponent in check much better. So as much as I’d like a 60-3 type beating like we’ve seen with the Tide, we’re just not as complete a team and program as they are. But I still think we’re trending in the right direction and, as I said this week, the lack of OOC cupcakes has skewed numbers significantly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.