Game Thread ***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs Charlotte***

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
BN needs to visit this board. Most of us aren't crowning $hit. :lol:

That’s what makes this game a little concerning to me. If there’s one thing we’ve seen is a lack of consistent, week in week out, performance from this team. The hangover from ut, the accolades this week and the feeling that we accomplished something, combined with a QB like Jones who, if nothing else, was a P5 talent, makes this game a perfect blah performance. Not calling a loss obviously, or even a close win. But if we go into this with the wrong mindset, we could end up with starters spending way too much time on the field. That defeats the purpose of these games and puts important pieces at risk for longer than they should.

These are the kind of weeks that our huge support cast earns their check. It’s not just the talent that teams like uga and Alabama have, it’s the people on their staff tasked with keeping the kids sharp and engaged. We have that now and hopefully it shows.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Jakob Jones is not a P5 talent. If he was, he would have left Jackson State and went to a P5 school. I believe he was from VA. Even the bottom dwellers Virginia and VT didn’t want him.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Jakob Jones is not a P5 talent. If he was, he would have left Jackson State and went to a P5 school. I believe he was from VA. Even the bottom dwellers Virginia and VT didn’t want him.
That may have been a talent issue, but could have easily also been a baggage issue. Both of the HCs at those schools are relatively new and could have decided to take a hard pass while they build goodwill.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
That may have been a talent issue, but could have easily also been a baggage issue. Both of the HCs at those schools are relatively new and could have decided to take a hard pass while they build goodwill.

This is correct. Both of those Virginia schools @Homer J mentioned did offer him out of HS, along with Alabama and 12 others P5 programs. You don’t fall that far having played one spring game without other contributing factors. As I said, he’s a P5 talent and that’s what makes a lot of these games a little more interesting. Guys like Perry going from miami to FAU and even Wright putting up 62 yards on 15 carries against Alabama. The teams may still not be great, but there is P5 talent in certain positions now because of the portal, that wouldn’t have been there otherwise.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
That’s what makes this game a little concerning to me. If there’s one thing we’ve seen is a lack of consistent, week in week out, performance from this team. The hangover from ut, the accolades this week and the feeling that we accomplished something, combined with a QB like Jones who, if nothing else, was a P5 talent, makes this game a perfect blah performance. Not calling a loss obviously, or even a close win. But if we go into this with the wrong mindset, we could end up with starters spending way too much time on the field. That defeats the purpose of these games and puts important pieces at risk for longer than they should.

These are the kind of weeks that our huge support cast earns their check. It’s not just the talent that teams like uga and Alabama have, it’s the people on their staff tasked with keeping the kids sharp and engaged. We have that now and hopefully it shows.

This is the very reason I’m glad we’re not going up to Lexington this Saturday. I want to see a sharp performance this week too, but at least a sloppy one shouldn’t lead to a defeat. Just stay healthy. Supposedly Billy was going to dial up the intensity in practice this week. I think this team will be more mature than last year’s when handling success.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds like a Spurrier-esque swipe at the Vols. :lol:

:lol: I missed that:

'We've played only 3 games. I know we want to put the crown on everybody. We have much more to prove. We know the best competition is ahead.'

Tom Hiddleston Reaction GIF

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Is Kamari Wilson hurt, or are we to assume he’s just done? I had such high hopes for him and don’t see him anywhere.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Is Kamari Wilson hurt, or are we to assume he’s just done? I had such high hopes for him and don’t see him anywhere.
These places you're looking for him in, are they around you now? Does he never appear in body, or in spirit too?
Are your arm hairs standing on end?
Do you feel a cool breeze?
Awesome Ghost Hunters GIF by travelchannel

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I think it's smart to get the 2's reps in this game, it's a long season. So, don't freak out if there are hiccups on O.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Billy has been pissed about the team this week. It is Tuesday press conference he said that Tuesday’s practice was lackluster and stunk. And then yesterday he said Wednesday’s practice sucked too. They actually had to have a team meeting and some of the veterans stepped up (Cam Jackson and Terjada) and were tearing into the team

Billy said it’s about consistently bringing your best every day and consistency is still something this team is struggling with. I think a lot of that has to do with it being a heavy underclassmen team.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That defeats the purpose of these games and puts important pieces at risk for longer than they should.
But it also serves as a learning opportunity for the starters, many of whom don't have much experience themselves, about the importance of preparing in practice every week regardless of opponent. As others have noted, I'd rather them find that out in a squeaker against lowly Charlotte than a loss to Kintucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.