Game Thread ***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs Missouri***

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Yeah, it is on our staff.
But, how do 4 DBs NOT intrinsically know that they need to contest that pass?
No way they were coached to stand flat footed and merely watch the completion.
Or, were they coached not to? We don’t know. I’ve suggested several times that they practice against our pass routes. Who else runs routes like Napier’s? After how many practices and games with staff screaming “makes the plays on the ball”, are they still unable to play football? Corey Raymond? Bust.

Off topic, but I don’t know what to say about our curl route. Pee Wee.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
1/3 of our losses are attributable to bad game management. How likely are we to grow if the game management doesn't? Talent alone doesn't win championships. The road is lined with close games where decisions matter.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
How many players did Brian Kelly start with at LSU, 40 or so? Back to back 10 win seasons.

Napier nutswingers here are still using the excuse of how Dan left the program. That holds ZERO legitimate value now.

Fire his ass and move on.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Or, were they coached not to? We don’t know. I’ve suggested several times that they practice against our pass routes. Who else runs routes like Napier’s? After how many practices and games with staff screaming “makes the plays on the ball”, are they still unable to play football? Corey Raymond? Bust.

Your thoughts are not wrong, but this is 4th and 17 for the game. It is not about routes, it is about situation. As @soflagator said you could blitz, force a quicker throw and try to make a tackle. But lets play it the way we played it. The routes are irrelevant. All that is relevant is the line to gain. Remember the max # of players eligible to receive a pass is 5. and the QB can run so that is 6 that can make the first down.. So lets jokingly play a LB 12 or so yards from the LOS to "spy" the QB. Not necessary but whatever. You rush 3. You have 4/5 guys planted at the sticks to cover that 50+ yard width. Rule #1 as soon as guy gets within breathing distance of you it becomes man to man. Simple. And you have 2/3 guys behind the line to gain to DOUBLE anyone who ventures as a receiver beyond the line to gain. Defending anything short of the line to gain was irrelevant and defending specific routes was not relevant. you are defending the sticks. We were in soft zone with zero urgency to break on the ball. Simple concept simple instructions. When guy gets within breathing distance you cover like white on rice.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Your thoughts are not wrong, but this is 4th and 17 for the game. It is not about routes, it is about situation. As @soflagator said you could blitz, force a quicker throw and try to make a tackle. But lets play it the way we played it. The routes are irrelevant. All that is relevant is the line to gain. Remember the max # of players eligible to receive a pass is 5. and the QB can run so that is 6 that can make the first down.. So lets jokingly play a LB 12 or so yards from the LOS to "spy" the QB. Not necessary but whatever. You rush 3. You have 4/5 guys planted at the sticks to cover that 50+ yard width. Rule #1 as soon as guy gets within breathing distance of you it becomes man to man. Simple. And you have 2/3 guys behind the line to gain to DOUBLE anyone who ventures as a receiver beyond the line to gain. Defending anything short of the line to gain was irrelevant and defending specific routes was not relevant. you are defending the sticks. We were in soft zone with zero urgency to break on the ball. Simple concept simple instructions. When guy gets within breathing distance you cover like white on rice.
Okay, did any defender do that? Did they all fail or only the DB where passes were caught? If all DBs failed to defend, why? I’m at a loss to understand how the unit failed if they were taught, trained, clear, expected.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
1/3 of our losses are attributable to bad game management. How likely are we to grow if the game management doesn't? Talent alone doesn't win championships. The road is lined with close games where decisions matter.
Yes, in a good year, we are looking at 4 loss seasons even when Napier has HIS team in place because he will lose two for his players.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, in a good year, we are looking at 4 loss seasons even when Napier has HIS team in place because he will lose two for his players.

Riding this train feels for naught.

ted

Aug 24, 2019

On the 4th and 17, coaching or not, do instincts not take over? Did BN coach Mertz to take off on third and long and break his body to convert ? Was Jackson coached two make miraculous catches two(last week was a catch) weeks in a row? Of course not….dudes make plays, regardless of schemes or coaching.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Okay, did any defender do that? Did they all fail or only the DB where passes were caught? If all DBs failed to defend, why? I’m at a loss to understand how the unit failed if they were taught, trained, clear, expected.
From the replay we had 4 DBs at the sticks, 2 on each side of 2 Mizz receivers, all of them standing in a line facing the QB so all 6 were looking at the throw, which covered at least 25 yards thru the air. If ANY Gator defenders broke on the ball, and they had plenty of time to run that ball down, it should have been a pass breakup and we win the game right there.

Why in Hell would our D coaches tell all those guys to be in position only for a tackle after allowing them the first and giving the game away? I hate to think our coaches are that football-ignorant and overall stupid, but based on Nape's decision-making nothing is off the table for possibilities. Result: a won game was lost as our D went out of its way to make that happen by refusing to defend a low-percentage pass when 4 defenders were in position. Inexcusable

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
@soflagator, agreed but do you really see strick canning Napier ? Their fortunes are entwined . It’ll take a change of AD for Napier to go

No I’ve said for right at 2 years this will be his last hire regardless. Napier either makes it and long exceeds Stricklin’s tenure, or they both go out together in a fiery explosion, metaphorically speaking. I’ve noticed national media now saying SS is unlikely to get a 3rd swing. They could’ve saved time and just become a member here.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
On the 4th and 17, coaching or not, do instincts not take over? Did BN coach Mertz to take off on third and long and break his body to convert ? Was Jackson coached two make miraculous catches two(last week was a catch) weeks in a row? Of course not….dudes make plays, regardless of schemes or coaching.

From the replay we had 4 DBs at the sticks, 2 on each side of 2 Mizz receivers, all of them standing in a line facing the QB so all 6 were looking at the throw, which covered at least 25 yards thru the air. If ANY Gator defenders broke on the ball, and they had plenty of time to run that ball down, it should have been a pass breakup and we win the game right there.

Why in Hell would our D coaches tell all those guys to be in position only for a tackle after allowing them the first and giving the game away? I hate to think our coaches are that football-ignorant and overall stupid, but based on Nape's decision-making nothing is off the table for possibilities. Result: a won game was lost as our D went out of its way to make that happen by refusing to defend a low-percentage pass when 4 defenders were in position. Inexcusable
I do not have an answer. They do it in practice but not games? Corey Raymond coaches them? Makes zero sense. Inexplicable.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
The DB's failed to get close to the receiver when they reached an area or break on the ball. but not their fault. The fault lies within the coaching staff not being in a Sticks D and not teaching how it works. We were in soft zone. Sticks to me in this particular situation is a zone type defense defending the line to gain but becomes man to man when a guy gets within sniffing distance.

the best analogy I can give to this situation is at the end of a basketball game and you lead by 3 points with say 10 or less seconds to play and your opponent has the ball. As a coach you have two choices: 1) Play D and try to prevent them from hitting a 3 to tie or 2) Foul them not shooting, force them to make the first free throw, miss the 2nd free throw on purpose, they must get an offensive rebound and score to either send it to OT or hit a 3 and win. I prefer the fouling method, but scenario 1 of just playing sound D is similar to the football situation. As a basketball coach up 3 and time about to expire, you are no longer guarding a man or a play, you are guarding the 3 point line. Whatever is going on inside the 3 point line is irrelevant. A 2 point basket will not beat you. Sure you are guarding like a pick and pop at the 3 point line or anything in that area, but you are not concerned about anything happening in the paint. You do not have to be on your man like glue. But any player beyond the 3 point line, the defender has to be in his jock strap. And that is how I view 4th and 17. If at the sticks or beyond you better be so close to the receiver that he can smell your crummy breath.

Last edited:

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Anybody have a link to Billy’s post game presser/comments? I need some redundancy in my day and I’m also longing for Groundhog's Day to come a few months early.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Anybody have a link to Billy’s post game presser/comments? I need some redundancy in my day and I’m also longing for Groundhog's Day to come a few months early.
Go back and read this board's threads about the UGA, Arkansas and LSU games. Much the same as the Mizzou game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.