Game Thread ***OFFICIAL GAME THREAD: UF vs Utah***

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Utah will probably be a solid favorite, maybe by a TD or thereabouts. But preseason rankings really aren't much more than mental masturbation when you get right down to it and being in the top ten almost five months out means doodly squat. I'm not calling the "upset" (at least for now) but I wouldn't be shocked if we pulled it off. Much depends on how hard these kids work during the summer and how we fare in the portal. In the fullness of time, all will be revealed.
I wouldn’t be shocked if we win, but I wouldn’t lay money in it either.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I think AR15 is going to light Utah up. The Utes will not only be melting, the crowd is going to be absolutely deafening.

It's going to be a great opening win to the Napier era.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I think AR15 is going to light Utah up. The Utes will not only be melting, the crowd is going to be absolutely deafening.

If it’s a 3:30 or 4 o’clock start (or God forbid for the Utes an even earlier one); it’s going to be interesting to watch.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think the UTES are going to experience many things they have not encountered as a team from the MWC:

Obviously the humidity.
Opening first game on the road and with expectations perhaps a bit of overconfidence?
Hostile environment.
Napier's first game.
And AR15

It will be an environment they have never been in before.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Utah will probably be a solid favorite, maybe by a TD or thereabouts. But preseason rankings really aren't much more than mental masturbation when you get right down to it and being in the top ten almost five months out means doodly squat. I'm not calling the "upset" (at least for now) but I wouldn't be shocked if we pulled it off. Much depends on how hard these kids work during the summer and how we fare in the portal. In the fullness of time, all will be revealed.

I think they return a lot of key players from last year, so I don't think it's a stretch to consider them a top 10 team. This is a tough home opener for sure, but I like it. Usually, when you play a cupcake to start off, you don't know how good you are. We'll know exactly how we measure up with the rest of the coubtry by the end of the game. I feel pretty confident that if we win this game, we finish the season in the top 10.

It'll also be a good game. Should be exciting til the end. It's a tough matchup for both sides. Glad we have home field advantage this year.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
By whom? Vegas?
Yes. Let me guess, you have a pessimistic view of this game.

UF gets tons of points for a home game - it's extremely rare they are an underdog at home. Utah being favored in Gainesville is laughable.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Yes. Let me guess, you have a pessimistic view of this game.

UF gets tons of points for a home game - it's extremely rare they are an underdog at home. Utah being favored in Gainesville is laughable.

No...I think we have a very good chance of pulling the upset. I don't think we will be favored because I expect Utah will be ranked in the top 15 and for us to be unranked. I don't think any oddsmakers will put that matchup in our favor. But I think we have more going for us than will be evident. I think it will be a close game and we should win. But I'm a gator fan and I don't expect professional oddsmakers to view the game with my same orange and blue glasses.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
UF gets tons of points for a home game - it's extremely rare they are an underdog at home.

There is little fun on this board when agreeing with Ox, but since 2003, UF has been a home dog only 17 times. That includes 13 years under the fantastic four of zoom, mush, macelwain and danno.

Brooks

Jul 1, 2021

I agree with this assessment. After watching them in person yesterday, this is a good Gator football team we have here. The coaches seem to actually know what they are doing, the kids are getting coached for once. It was refreshing.
Utah isn't going to be used to the crowd noise and the Florida humidity. We are going to run it down their throat. If AR is healthy and starting that day, forget it. Utah won't stand a chance. It'll probably be like a 31-14 spanking.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
No...I think we have a very good chance of pulling the upset. I don't think we will be favored because I expect Utah will be ranked in the top 15 and for us to be unranked. I don't think any oddsmakers will put that matchup in our favor. But I think we have more going for us than will be evident. I think it will be a close game and we should win. But I'm a gator fan and I don't expect professional oddsmakers to view the game with my same orange and blue glasses.
gods-honest-truth-red.gif

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
This is a tough home opener for sure, but I like it. Usually, when you play a cupcake to start off, you don't know how good you are. We'll know exactly how we measure up with the rest of the coubtry by the end of the game.
I recall reading an interview of Saban where he said he always preferred to start the season against a highly ranked team. He said it gave the team something to focus on all off season as opposed to opening against a G-5 or FCS team.

Brooks

Jul 1, 2021
We will stick Marshall on their best WR Vele. They have Lakeland Lake Gibson's all-time leading rusher True Freshman Jaylon Glover at RB. He's got good size and that's probably the biggest threat. Maybe they can run the ball on us a little bit. Other than that I don't think Rising has enough weapons to outgun us.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
UF will be favored. Zero question about that.

What if AR gets suspended for the opener? How much does that change your prediction? Because I didn’t see anyone close to being a solid “next man up.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.