Personal victory stories

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
Does not complaining about Ox's lack of 2015 podcasts (such as for spring practice or the new basketball coach) count as a personal victory?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I took 4th place in my age group and 58th overall at the Gulf Coast Tri this past Saturday. I was only 90 seconds away from a medal and considering quite a few pros compete in that race, that made me feel pretty good! Afterwards my wife told me she wants me to keep doing them, which made me even happier.

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n223672 said:
I took 4th place in my age group and 58th overall at the Gulf Coast Tri this past Saturday. I was only 90 seconds away from a medal and considering quite a few pros compete in that race, that made me feel pretty good! Afterwards my wife told me she wants me to keep doing them, which made me even happier.

She just said that because training for triathlons takes a lot of time and that keeps you out of her hair. :rotfl:

But really, Congrats on your top four finish!

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Impressive. Personal victory? Guess getting another guest column in a local newspaper was good. But I am really excited about meeting my old jr high English teacher this weekend. Havent talked to the guy since the 70s.

Dec 10, 2014

That is badass

Dec 10, 2014
stephenPE;n223697 said:
Impressive. Personal victory? Guess getting another guest column in a local newspaper was good. But I am really excited about meeting my old jr high English teacher this weekend. Havent talked to the guy since the 70s.

How did that all come about?! That's nuts. I just put two and two together that the column you posted in the PF was you. Duh.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I purchased 20$ worth of Lotto tickets and won 4.00$ Woot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n223528 said:
You need to fight them next time. If they kill you, I promise to protest.

Protest or party?

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014

That's really cool. Once the little one arrives try to keep doing this. It will help you keep your sanity.

Dec 10, 2014
Had to get lunch today, so I meandered down to Jimmy John's. Ordered a sub, got it in two minutes. Nobody in front of me and nobody behind me. As I got my sub and walked out, 20 construction workers walked in and they were talking about other people's orders they were picking up. Nice

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n223843 said:
Had to get lunch today, so I meandered down to Jimmy John's. Ordered a sub, got it in two minutes. Nobody in front of me and nobody behind me. As I got my sub and walked out, 20 construction workers walked in and they were talking about other people's orders they were picking up. Nice

You should go all in on Lotto tomorrow night

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
PatDooleySucks;n223843 said:

Two minutes is actually long for Jimmy John's if there was nobody in front or behind you in line - they should have been handing you your sandwich along with your change. Jimmy John would not be happy with that slow service since 5 kids probably went into the making of that sandwish. Jimmy John's first store was in my hometown in Illinois and the first sub I got was for free when Jimmy John himself was on campus (Eastern Illinois) handing out free subs to promote his new store. My aunt ended up working at that first store and I wound up eating there every week for about two years until I moved to the Ville. Now they're everywere - there's one two blocks from where I work and two more within a mile or two from where I live in Seattle.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Warrior Dash 2015

Been wanting to do one of these for ages

-TLDR related side story -
Wife and her friends signed up last year, didn't tell me until afterwards despite her knowing I'd wanted to run one for years. Eventually they called it a 'girls weekend' and asked who would watch our kids...like that was a concern. Still, one blew out her knee ahead of time and the others generally wussed out....so nobody went. I was silently pleased.
-TLDR done -

So I signed up for one this past weekend, managed to find one in a city I was flying into after a week long summit for work in Greenville, SC (beautiful place, if you ever get the chance). Anywho, got out to BFE Maryland at the motorcross site, parked and hiked a mile in to the starting area. Mind you, I haven't done any exercise in months, am easily 40-50 lbs overweight, but determined to cross off this bucket list item. So, we run the first half mile through the woods, up and down steep hills, not so bad. Then we start hitting obstacles - first one is to either duck-waddle or crawl through a mud tunnel of about 20 yds. Coming out, the little voice in my head proclaimed there is no goal of finish time....just finish, and don't die. Wallked the rest of the way, only falied at one other obstacle (based on the guy in front of me making it un-doable to walk the tight rope while holding the cargo net overhead, considering he had a foot height on me and at least another 40 lbs, so I couldn't stand on the tight rope AND reach the cargo net)....but I digress. Lowlights were the mud tunnel, two on-your-bely mud crawls under barbed wire and a long under-tent type crawl across a dry patch of rocks. My knees and shins are horribly chewed up with scrapes and cuts. Highlights would likely be the middle third of the trail in that it was so snot slick muddy you couldn't run if you had to...so my walking was standard practice. I'll admit I stayed longer than required at the water stations, and never really ran after that first stint, but never really stopped either unless there was a backlog at an obstacle.

Wife asked me if I had fun. My only response was that I survived. Fun wasn't an option (though I recall feeling it was a grown up playground early in the course).

I'm thinking of signing her up for one late this summer in the Poconos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.