Rams/Saints no-call

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Tommy Lee Lewis was best friends with my nephew in HS and spent a few weeks at the beach with my family over a couple 4th of Julys. Really good dude. We played lots of touch football and I always tried to make sure he was on my team. He has blazing speed. Although I must admit I'm shocked he's been able to stand up to the NFL grind for 3 years at only 5'7"/165 pounds.

Tommy always wanted to come back to the beach with my nephew after his first visit when he saw my niece and a couple of her friends skinny dipping at 2 in the morning.

So I guess since that play involving Tommy will become famous in NFL lore then by association that makes me pretty much.....you know.....famous.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Tommy Lee Lewis was best friends with my nephew in HS and spent a few weeks at the beach with my family over a couple 4th of Julys. Really good dude. We played lots of touch football and I always tried to make sure he was on my team. He has blazing speed. Although I must admit I'm shocked he's been able to stand up to the NFL grind for 3 years at only 5'7"/165 pounds.

Tommy always wanted to come back to the beach with my nephew after his first visit when he saw my niece and a couple of her friends skinny dipping at 2 in the morning.

So I guess since that play involving Tommy will become famous in NFL lore then by association that makes me pretty much.....you know.....famous.

Nice. Do you keep in touch regularly throughout the season to give him friendly feedback, or do you not want to interfere?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You cannot say that with certainty. Not at all.
Nope, you're right. There could have been an immaculate reception or Stanford band type moment. All you can say is that had they got that call right, its a 99.99% chance the Saints win the game. Nothing is certain.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Nope, you're right. There could have been an immaculate reception or Stanford band type moment. All you can say is that had they got that call right, its a 99.99% chance the Saints win the game. Nothing is certain.

When you look at Sean Payton's play calling leading up to the play... can you say for certain he would have taken a knee or run the ball?

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
When you look at Sean Payton's play calling leading up to the play... can you say for certain he would have taken a knee or run the ball?

Come on man ... refs make that call and the game is over ... Saints win. But that is irrelevant and moot to the argument you have been making.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I almost wonder if Doug has ever watched the end of a football game before, or if he understands anything about the playclock, timeouts, etc. Baffling.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Come on man ... refs make that call and the game is over ... Saints win. But that is irrelevant and moot to the argument you have been making.

Look at the play selection going into the two minute warning, look at his previous play selection in other games in similar situations. This isn't like it's the patriots, Cowboys, or teams that try to grind the clock down. Sean Payton likes to keep the ball in the air. Both Sofa and Durty brought up the same facts. I just think it is funny how many people want to just blame the refs for blowing the call, but not hold the Saints accountable for any of their actions. If FSU lost a game in this fashion, and their fans complained about it... what would the same people making this argument be saying?

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Look at the play selection going into the two minute warning, look at his previous play selection in other games in similar situations. This isn't like it's the patriots, Cowboys, or teams that try to grind the clock down. Sean Payton likes to keep the ball in the air. Both Sofa and Durty brought up the same facts. I just think it is funny how many people want to just blame the refs for blowing the call, but not hold the Saints accountable for any of their actions. If FSU lost a game in this fashion, and their fans complained about it... what would the same people making this argument be saying?

Dude ... if the refs make that call like they should have ... Saints win the game. You are going off on a red herring tangent of meaningless what ifs to say otherwise. But they didn't make that call ... just like they didnt make the obvious calls earlier in the game. Rams won.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I almost wonder if Doug has ever watched the end of a football game before, or if he understands anything about the playclock, timeouts, etc. Baffling.

I do.... it's as if you were not watching the play-calling from Sean Payton all game, or most of his career.

2 (1:58) min warning at the Rams 1st and 10 at the 13
Brees Shotgun pass incomplete
Timeout Saints
Kamara right End no gain
Timeout Rams
Brees Shotgun incomplete pass (play in question).

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Dude ... if the refs make that call like they should have ... Saints win the game. You are going off on a red herring tangent of meaningless what ifs to say otherwise. But they didn't make that call ... just like they didnt make the obvious calls earlier in the game. Rams won.

Just like it's a what if the Refs make the call, Refs miss calls. That is the whole fcking point. Don't blame the refs if in 60% of you drives you have less than 6 plays. Only get field goals when you are in the red zone twice. When you have a chance to make a stop to win the game and don't. Then get the ball first in OT. The refs didn't lose the game, the Saints did.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I do.... it's as if you were not watching the play-calling from Sean Payton all game, or most of his career.

2 (1:58) min warning at the Rams 1st and 10 at the 13
Brees Shotgun pass incomplete
Timeout Saints
Kamara right End no gain
Timeout Rams
Brees Shotgun incomplete pass (play in question).
Yeah its almost as if Payton understands that with 2 minutes left and the other team has 2 timeouts that you can't just run out the clock, but that with 1:45 left after the other team has burned one of those timeouts than you can, for all intents and purposes, run out the clock. :crazy:

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Nice. Do you keep in touch regularly throughout the season to give him friendly feedback, or do you not want to interfere?
Did you see that one cut back move he had on his punt return for a touchdown this year?

Yeah, that was me.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Just like it's a what if the Refs make the call, Refs miss calls. That is the whole fcking point. Don't blame the refs if in 60% of you drives you have less than 6 plays. Only get field goals when you are in the red zone twice. When you have a chance to make a stop to win the game and don't. Then get the ball first in OT. The refs didn't lose the game, the Saints did.

That was my point. You taking on the idea that had the refs actually made that call it wasn't a guarantee the Saints would win just waters down your valid points.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah its almost as if Payton understands that with 2 minutes left and the other team has 2 timeouts that you can't just run out the clock, but that with 1:45 left after the other team has burned one of those timeouts than you can, for all intents and purposes, run out the clock. :crazy:

Also shows he isn't trying to burn off those Timeouts. 1st and 10 at the 13, run play (rams timeout), run play (rams timeout), run play (no time), now with less than a minute to go, field goal. Rams get the ball with roughly 45 seconds. Instead he potentially stopped the clock twice. But he wouldn't do that again, because he has never done it before.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That was my point. You taking on the idea that had the refs actually made that call it wasn't a guarantee the Saints would win just waters down your valid points.

If Sean Payton wasn't Sean Payton the game would have been over regardless, and I'm fcking with Zambo... slow board day.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Also shows he isn't trying to burn off those Timeouts. 1st and 10 at the 13, run play (rams timeout), run play (rams timeout), run play (no time), now with less than a minute to go, field goal. Rams get the ball with roughly 45 seconds. Instead he potentially stopped the clock twice. But he wouldn't do that again, because he has never done it before.
So all Payton did was know that if he didn't get a first down, the Rams were going to get the ball back with time to score. So instead of running a predictable play with a high probability of getting stuffed, he chose to try and get one more first down to ice the game. Guess what would have happened if they made the right call on that interference? Yup, it would have iced the game. Any fool can see that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator