Rams/Saints no-call

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
If Sean Payton wasn't Sean Payton the game would have been over regardless, and I'm fcking with Zambo... slow board day.

Not according to your change in direction. 45 seconds would be plenty of time for the Rams to march down the field and score.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not according to your change in direction. 45 seconds would be plenty of time for the Rams to march down the field and score.

Would you trust you highly rated defense with 45 seconds and no timeouts.... or 1:41 and one timeout. Too many things can go wrong on a pass play. Especially being that the Saints hadn't been playing particularly well in the Red Zone. The Rams like the Saints had two total touchdowns. Since 3 minutes left in the 3rd, they had traded punts until the Rams field goal after being first and goal at the 7. Neither offense was playing great. Sean Payton is Sean Payton, he has had poor clock management through out his career.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Nope, you're right. There could have been an immaculate reception or Stanford band type moment. All you can say is that had they got that call right, its a 99.99% chance the Saints win the game. Nothing is certain.
Good Lord. You want 8 hour games, we get it.

Maybe we can get them to review the coin toss.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Would you trust you highly rated defense with 45 seconds and no timeouts.... or 1:41 and one timeout. Too many things can go wrong on a pass play. Especially being that the Saints hadn't been playing particularly well in the Red Zone. The Rams like the Saints had two total touchdowns. Since 3 minutes left in the 3rd, they had traded punts until the Rams field goal after being first and goal at the 7. Neither offense was playing great. Sean Payton is Sean Payton, he has had poor clock management through out his career.

45 seconds is an arbitrary what if number ... just so we remember that. By my math, Rams got to FG range in about 50 seconds without using their timeout. Sooooo ... your point?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
45 seconds is an arbitrary what if number ... just so we remember that. By my math, Rams got to FG range in about 50 seconds without using their timeout. Sooooo ... your point?

It did take 57 seconds.... without using a timeout. So do you believe if they ran the ball three times, then ran the clock down the full 40 seconds before they kicked the field goal it would have been easier or harder than throwing two pass which could be incomplete.

What would you do with 1:58 left, and your opponent having only 2 timeouts 1st and 10 at the 13?

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
It did take 57 seconds.... without using a timeout. So do you believe if they ran the ball three times, then ran the clock down the full 40 seconds before they kicked the field goal it would have been easier or harder than throwing two pass which could be incomplete.

What would you do with 1:58 left, and your opponent having only 2 timeouts 1st and 10 at the 13?

Hindsight is 20/20. I got Brees though and he is a gamer and clutch in those situations. But, I still probably would have just run the ball. But you never know what really happened out there. Brees isn't a guy that is taking plays from the sideline with no room deviate. I have no idea who is responsible for throwing it instead of running it. And I say that without really watching any post game comments or following the story so I don't even know if that was even divulged or not.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Hindsight is 20/20. I got Brees though and he is a gamer and clutch in those situations. But, I still probably would have just run the ball. But you never know what really happened out there. Brees isn't a guy that is taking plays from the sideline with no room deviate. I have no idea who is responsible for throwing it instead of running it. And I say that without really watching any post game comments or following the story so I don't even know if that was even divulged or not.

That's my point though Neteng… You, Zambo, or I would play the clock. Following our mindsets the PI runs the clock game is over. But Payton and Brees haven't shown that in their time together. Can I say with confidence they would all the sudden go against their own tendencies and start playing the clock, when they were not already? I just honestly can't. As I said at the very being, the ref gets the play right the game is most likely over, but I don't really trust Payton/Brees to play the type of way that would run down the clock when they haven't in the past or in this very game.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
That's my point though Neteng… You, Zambo, or I would play the clock. Following our mindsets the PI runs the clock game is over. But Payton and Brees haven't shown that in their time together. Can I say with confidence they would all the sudden go against their own tendencies and start playing the clock, when they were not already? I just honestly can't. As I said at the very being, the ref gets the play right the game is most likely over, but I don't really trust Payton/Brees to play the type of way that would run down the clock when they haven't in the past or in this very game.

Again ... dude ... you are dying on a hill you don't need to take. And, that hill is one that you die on because your argument is weka.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Good Lord. You want 8 hour games, we get it.

Maybe we can get them to review the coin toss.
I'm just trying to generate traffic for YOUR website in the offseason. This is the thanks I get.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
ill tell ya what, if there's one thing that this board knows how to do, its choose sides, dig in, fortify, and fight to death over basically anything that could be summed up with a simple "who gives a sht"

love me some Gatorchatter :grin:

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
There's been a lot of woulda, coulda, shoulda on this one play and what the Saints should have done to win that game. Coulda run it, shoulda run it, and woulda won it. But I have to say.....I've seen a lot of bad calls over the years, but that one was probably the most egregious one I've ever witnessed with so much on the line. Not really a Saints fan but hated to see a team lose one that way. Maybe its time to use replay in certain circumstances with judgement calls like that. At least it is time for the discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator