Rams/Saints no-call

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
We all put on pads, cleats, etc... If you are truly the better team, you will overcome. If not and you leave it to the refs, you have no one to blame but yourself.

I think we've exhausted this but my point is that if both teams are evenly matched in all 3 phases...they won't overcome bad calls. All good though. I'm done here.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think we've exhausted this but my point is that if both teams are evenly matched in all 3 phases...they won't overcome bad calls. All good though. I'm done here.

The Rams did overcame the calls against them... So?

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
So if in the series just before this one, they refs got that call right, would this call have mattered? Or would this play even have happened?

The call was SO BAD NY called Payton and apologized...That does not happen.

I am upset because there was NO JUDGMENT call here. It was clearly wrong...even the Rams were looking for a flag.

And it's not because I wanted the Saints to win. This makes the game and the NFL look bad.

The game was decided on the REFs not good play.

What is funny is so many on here complain about the REFS in the SEC. How Bama seems to get the close calls and so many calls go against UF.

BUT it's just Football in the NFL.

Ocalaman

Mar 7, 2018
Don't you want the right team to win the game? Isn't that why they play them?
So what about the the 2 earlier no calls that should have been made against the Saints for face mask? If those calls had been made, Rams drive would have continued. That's 14 possible points the refs took from them. Don't you want the right team to win the game? You can't pcik and choose which bad call you want overturned. You can't say earlier missed calls in the game don't matter -only the one in the last couple of minutes. The game is over. The Saints LOST, just like they lost in the last minute last year. They had their chance in overtime to win the game, too, and couldn't get it done. Whining is for losers and they and their fans are whining big time.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The call was SO BAD NY called Payton and apologized...That does not happen.

I am upset because there was NO JUDGMENT call here. It was clearly wrong...even the Rams were looking for a flag.

And it's not because I wanted the Saints to win. This makes the game and the NFL look bad.

The game was decided on the REFs not good play.

The game wasn't decided on poor officiating, because there was poor officiating on both sides. You are choosing to look at only one play. There is the difference. One team handled bad and no calls and continued on, the other didn't. The Saints lost the game, because they didn't stop the Rams on Defense in the final series in regulation and didn't make the most of their opportunities in the game and OT. To say otherwise is showing you bias. Do you think this one call effected the Saints offense stalling through out the game?

What is funny is so many on here complain about the REFS in the SEC. How Bama seems to get the close calls and so many calls go against UF.

BUT it's just Football in the NFL.

Though personally I view it the same way for both college and pros when it comes to refs. Once the lights are on you have to expect humans to be humans. Calls will be missed or incorrectly called.

Do I think Bama being the cash cow it is for the NCAA they might look the other way on recruiting violations, possibly.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Its not the same. Follow on events are always contingent upon preceeding events. So something that happens early in a game watered down by the fact that it changes the game conditions and decision making along the way. For example, the decision to go for a two point conversion is completely dependent upon previous scoring plays.

This however, was the very end of the game. Had the penalty been called, the Saints would have run out the clock and none of the following scoring plays would have happened. Its pretty cut and dried for any logically thinking person.

So what your saying for this 15 second play, the other 60+ minutes didn't matter. Because the Saints had no recourse after this play?

bdl8sUW.jpg

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Saints take the OT kickoff and get a touchdown, this is a non-issue. You take care of what you can take care of. The Saints didn't. Horrible call, no one is arguing.

You are absolutely arguing. Perhaps not that the call was bad, but you are arguing.

Perhaps this will clarify the situation for you. Just because you (at least in theory) have the ability to overcome an injustice doesn't mean that the injustice didn't occur, that it wasn't monumental, or that the injustice shouldn't be discussed by the one to whom it occurred or those who witnessed it.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You are absolutely arguing. Perhaps not that the call was bad, but you are arguing.

Perhaps this will clarify the situation for you. Just because you (at least in theory) have the ability to overcome an injustice doesn't mean that the injustice didn't occur, that it wasn't monumental, or that the injustice shouldn't be discussed by the one to whom it occurred or those who witnessed it.

No one saying that it wasn't a bad non-call.. How was it more monumental, than the previous non-calls in the game. The argument is, that single play isn't the reason they lost the game, they had plenty of chances to win the game outside of one bad call. So instead of making up my argument to fit yours. Which is what you are doing. Please read through the thread, and see for yourself.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
No one saying that it wasn't a bad non-call.. How was it more monumental, than the previous non-calls in the game. The argument is, that single play isn't the reason they lost the game, they had plenty of chances to win the game outside of one bad call. So instead of making up my argument to fit yours. Which is what you are doing. Please read through the thread, and see for yourself.

Doug, how do you NOT understand that as a game shortens that there is less time and opportunity to resolve a bad call (or non-call)?

It is TIME alone that makes the non-call for pass interference MORE egregious than the non-call for facemask.

Additionally, w/in the last 2 mins of a game a Coach cannot challenge.

I get it that you understand is was a bad no-call but think you're being stubbornly obtuse concerning accepting that one call is worse than the other as well as being equally stubborn and obtuse over whether the Saints would have won the game had the PI non-called been correctly called.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

You're missing the point. The important question isn't is this single play is the reason they lost the game? The important question is this single play the reason they didn't win the game? The answer is...

Yes, this single play is the reason they didn't win the game.

As in any game, any other play could have contributed to a different ending, but if this call were called correctly there is virtually no chance that the game doesn't go as any here would predict. Any play could have changed the game. This bad call absolutely changed the game from a lock to win (99.99999% chance) to a 50/50 proposition. Could they still have won the 50/50? Sure. ...but their sure win was stolen and they were made to reacquire it. It was stolen. That's why everyone else feels the same way about it.

You're wrong. I suspect you know it. If you don't I'm not giving you any more time or energy.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Doug, how do you NOT understand that as a game shortens that there is less time and opportunity to resolve a bad call (or non-call)?

So should they also go back and resolve the face mask on the previous play. Should we go back and give the Saints more first downs on the roughly 60% of their drives that ended in 6 plays or less with a punt. Those plays don't matter, because of one bad missed call?

It is TIME alone that makes the non-call for pass interference MORE egregious than the non-call for facemask.

So having the Saints on that drive, only needing a field goal instead of a touchdown doesn't change what they were doing on that drive and how much time the Saints would have had? Honestly? The fact the drive before it doesn't matter to you, but this drive does shows you hypocrisy.

Additionally, w/in the last 2 mins of a game a Coach cannot challenge.

Non-factor in this game. Coaches can't challenge a non-call. Everyone knows those rules before the coin flip.

I get it that you understand is was a bad no-call but think you're being stubbornly obtuse concerning accepting that one call is worse than the other as well as being equally stubborn and obtuse over whether the Saints would have won the game had the PI non-called been correctly called.

The Saints would have most likely won the game if the call was called, and the previous call was overlooked.... But then would you be crying just as hard for the face mask call that would have changed the Saints final drive. Also did the Saints still not have two other opportunities to win the game.

There is a lot of missed calls and opportunities in every game, but lets focus on one 15 second play. I know, I know... it's easier to blame the refs for one bad call, instead of seeing how the Saints didn't play to win. Not to mention Sean Payton's play calling with less than 2 minutes to go and a tie game (because of the previous missed face mask call).

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
You're missing the point. The important question isn't is this single play is the reason they lost the game? The important question is this single play the reason they didn't win the game? The answer is...

As in any game, any other play could have contributed to a different ending, but if this call were called correctly there is virtually no chance that the game doesn't go as any here would predict. Any play could have changed the game. This bad call absolutely changed the game from a lock to win (99.99999% chance) to a 50/50 proposition. Could they still have won the 50/50? Sure. ...but their sure win was stolen and they were made to reacquire it. It was stolen. That's why everyone else feels the same way about it.

You're wrong. I suspect you know it. If you don't I'm not giving you any more time or energy.

:exactly:

And I'm out.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The whole reason I came here was to say the NFL replay rules are fundamentally wrong and stupid.

It is the official's job to ensure the game is played fairly and officiated justly. It should not be the teams' responsibility to ensure the game is called correctly. In fact the NFL should be trying to minimize or eliminate the teams' effect on officiating.

The team should be trying to win within the rules.

The officials should be officiating the game properly.

College football gets this right.

Go Gators!!

:chomp:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

So if their defense held they still lose? If they get a touchdown in OT they still lose? This is a false statement...

Again this call was more important because of you bias. Take away that.... If the Face Mask on the previous series was called right, now of the above matters, but you care only about this single play.

Did this single play stop the punts on 60% of the previous Saints drives? Did the bad call stop their defense from making a stop with 1:40 left?

Saying everyone else feels the same way shows you are going with bias confirmation, and it is obvious through this threat that not everyone feels the same way (and it's not just me).

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The whole reason I came here was to say the NFL replay rules are fundamentally wrong and stupid.

It is the official's job to ensure the game is played fairly and officiated justly. It should not be the teams' responsibility to ensure the game is called correctly. In fact the NFL should be trying to minimize or eliminate the teams' effect on officiating.

The team should be trying to win within the rules.

The officials should be officiating the game properly.

College football gets this right.

Go Gators!!

:chomp:

So in college football they replay a missed face mask or non call on a PI? Or does the flag have to come first? Also this statement goes against your whole argument before... that calls inside of 2 minutes are more important, they should be getting it right, just for 60 minutes, not two.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018

Oh ... he is done here. After 13 pages of it, its all good and he is done here.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So in college football they replay a missed face mask or non call on a PI? Or does the flag have to come first? Also this statement goes against your whole argument before... that calls inside of 2 minutes are more important, they should be getting it right, just for 60 minutes, not two.

This comment wasn't aimed at you. It was general commentary on the difference between how the leagues handle replay.

Perhaps you think by outlasting everyone you'll be vindicated. Perhaps you have mental health issues. I don't know.

It's clear to everyone that you're wrong (this from a guy who doesn't mind standing against the crowd). You're wrong. You know that thought you just had? You think it's a good argument? It isn't. You're wrong.

You're still wrong.

I'm not giving you any more time or energy.

...you're still wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.