Rams/Saints no-call

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Exactly! if the call was correct there wouldn't have been an overtime. Should be simple. This entire thread, considering how many members have exposed themselves as intractable hard heads, deserves a face slap.

What if the correct call was made on the series before that giving the Rams 1st and goal at the 1? Then instead of 3, they needed 7?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
NFL games are slow enough as it is without adding another layer of reviews. Flags on almost every play. No continuity at all and very boring compared to college. Human error is part olf the game and I think the NFL told the refs to keep their flags in their pockets Sunday and both games had way fewer interruptions and were more fun to watch than regular season games. I get that the missed call would have ended the game in New Orleans' favor. But *****ing and moaning by Sean Payton had to get his own players distracted where they couldn't bear down afterwards and win the game. And now the Saints are talking about the integrity of the league!!! This from a team that was paying players to hurt their opponents???!!!Remember BountyGate? Of all teams to be talking integrity.

I heard a TV commentator make this very argument yesterday.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I agree and think they need to figure out how to speed up the game. Keep the clock moving after 1st Downs and so on. But the NFL game is just too fast for the Refs. The players, athletes, and such are moving at lightning speeds. Hell, TV has a replay up in 5 seconds after the play is finished. A quick review from the box wouldn’t slow it that much.
A "quick review from the box"....now that's funny. Such good intentions never turn out to be reality. Putting PI calls in the hands of a review group would be a disaster, largely due to the fact that PI (like holding) could be called on every damn play if you go by the letter of the rule book.

Perhaps we could make holding reviewable as well. :facepalm:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Too many men is reviewable, if I'm not mistaken. The question isn't about time or watchability(new word?)...it's about getting the right outcome. There's way too much technology available to have 8 mistakes or more per game. They should've chipped the ball long ago for 1st downs and TDs. Maybe there are areas they can speed the game up to offset the new delays.

My point is that the human element should be mitigated just out of human error alone.

I have no problem with an extra official or two watching games either via a video feed or from some type of viewpoint higher than field level.

I actually really like that idea, and have never heard it before. Brilliant.

But, again, where I think some people are going off the rails here is that they're not factoring in a dozen or more of these mistakes throughout the course of the game--often affecting both sides. For instance, you mention 1st downs and getting the correct spot. Notice how teams only really complain when it's the 3rd(or 4th) down spot. The refs inadvertently shortchange an offense(or are overly generous) by a foot or more literally all the time on first and second down, with no protest. Obviously that adds up and eventually a team is just short, or is wrongly given the first, on 3rd/4th down. But coaches and players don't get all up in arms when a 1st down run mid-second quarter was called a gain of 3 when it should have actually been 4(or the opposite), even though that may very well be the difference in whether or not they have to punt or kick a FG on that drive. But the same play, on a 3rd or 4th down in the final 2 minutes is a travesty. And even though it can be reviewed, there are cases where they simply can't gain enough visual evidence to overturn an initial call so a bad call stands.

So put aside entire games and the mistakes that could be corrected by replay. Within a single drive, at any point during a contest, there are multiple eyeball judgments that are clearly in error and we just live with it. That's just the nature of sports and interfering more will only make it worse. I don't think you can pinpoint one play and say that was definitely the mistake that cost us. What about the numerous others?

Again, though, I do like the idea of a chip that either breaks the plane of the endzone or doesn't. I don't see how that isn't an obvious option.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
This makes absolutely no sense to me. Everyone of us on here LOVE college football and believe it’s the best game, period. They go on for 4 hours regularly and if you add in OT can be much longer. The NFL has figured out a way to speed up the game to 3 hours, tops, regularly.

I think the biggest problems with the Refs is the game is too damn fast for them. Look at them, most of them are old farts. It’s just way too fast and their heads aren’t on a swivel.

Ed Hochuli is going to find you and beat you like a rented mule.

orhc3kxdp6k01.jpg

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
I get so tired of nfl players whining about bad calls. You want to make sure the refs don’t cost you the game? Beat the hell out of the other team so a bad call can’t change the outcome.

A bad call is adversity: like a bad tip, bad bounce, gust of wind, etc. winners overcome it.

Winners don’t complain about video replay and how they were robbed when faced with adversity.

They win.

Hey sean Peyton, if you didn’t pass twice in that situation you would have won. There, I resolved the controversy. Don’t be a moron, and you don’t need the replay.

Winners win, losers make excuses.
Agree. You sir must be or have been a coach. The game is won or lost over four quarters. I always viewed the referees as opponents.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Again, that wasn't the only non-call that changed the rhythm of the game, what would that drive me like, if instead of 3, the Saints needed 7? Because when a DLinemen has his hand in the cage, and the qb head twists 90 degrees that's an obvious face mask a pop warner ref should catch.

And again, it was the second or third biggest game of the season and that's what we get?

All year helmet to helmet penalties.

All year the personal fouls.

All year, defender does not look back...flag

All year but this game.
I enjoyed the hell out of that win and will continue to do so. You on the other hand can continue your pity party, while I'm busy getting ready for my Super Bowl party.

I am not having a Pity Party...I am not even a big NFL fan. I pull for the Saints because it's good for NO. I went to UF and LSU BUT even my Grandkids call me "Papa Gator"

That said, this is one reason I am not a big NFL Fan. They can't even get calls right for the NFC Championship.

So ALL season they stress certain things but don't on this Championship Game...REALLY?

You can look up posts on here...I hate SLOP...These were SLOPPY REFS.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Agree. You sir must be or have been a coach. The game is won or lost over four quarters. I always viewed the referees as opponents.

That is the way I was coached... if you don't do enough you leave it in the refs hands... then you deserve what you get.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I actually really like that idea, and have never heard it before. Brilliant.

But, again, where I think some people are going off the rails here is that they're not factoring in a dozen or more of these mistakes throughout the course of the game--often affecting both sides. For instance, you mention 1st downs and getting the correct spot. Notice how teams only really complain when it's the 3rd(or 4th) down spot. The refs inadvertently shortchange an offense(or are overly generous) by a foot or more literally all the time on first and second down, with no protest. Obviously that adds up and eventually a team is just short, or is wrongly given the first, on 3rd/4th down. But coaches and players don't get all up in arms when a 1st down run mid-second quarter was called a gain of 3 when it should have actually been 4(or the opposite), even though that may very well be the difference in whether or not they have to punt or kick a FG on that drive. But the same play, on a 3rd or 4th down in the final 2 minutes is a travesty. And even though it can be reviewed, there are cases where they simply can't gain enough visual evidence to overturn an initial call so a bad call stands.

So put aside entire games and the mistakes that could be corrected by replay. Within a single drive, at any point during a contest, there are multiple eyeball judgments that are clearly in error and we just live with it. That's just the nature of sports and interfering more will only make it worse. I don't think you can pinpoint one play and say that was definitely the mistake that cost us. What about the numerous others?

Again, though, I do like the idea of a chip that either breaks the plane of the endzone or doesn't. I don't see how that isn't an obvious option.

The technology was being worked on about 5 years ago... I don't know how far it got or if there were some issues that stopped the progress of the gps type chip in the ball.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
So all these rules are changed to "Make the Game Safer" BUT just not on this Sunday?

They made GAME CHANGING NON-CALLS. I am okay with it, if they are consistent. In the 70-80 QB could not last till they were 40...Why? Why not go back to the '78 Rules?

WR get calls all year for a defender barely touching. If you hit helmet to helmet even by accident, it’s called.

I hate sloppy play, I hate chippie play, and I had poor officiating especially at this level.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
That is the way I was coached... if you don't do enough you leave it in the refs hands... then you deserve what you get.

I disagree. That play worked and did what it was supposed to do. If two teams are evenly matched are you saying that a team needs to overcome a "dirty" ref? How the hell could they do that?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I disagree. That play worked and did what it was supposed to do. If two teams are evenly matched are you saying that a team needs to overcome a "dirty" ref? How the hell could they do that?

Refs are human, do we know he was "dirty"... and I was in a game in high school with dirty refs. The State fired them from their positions after the game, but we still lost the playoff game. But we lost the game not the refs. We could have made more first downs, etc... The Saints should have cashed in more of their opportunities. They didn't.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Don't you want the right team to win the game? Isn't that why they play them?

So if in the series just before this one, they refs got that call right, would this call have mattered? Or would this play even have happened?

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Refs are human, do we know he was "dirty"... and I was in a game in high school with dirty refs. The State fired them from their positions after the game, but we still lost the playoff game. But we lost the game not the refs. We could have made more first downs, etc... The Saints should have cashed in more of their opportunities. They didn't.

Cardinal rule to not blame the refs, got it.

When a call is so clearly wrong on two counts (interference & helmet to helmet) and without question the Saints would have won, the refs deserve to be called out.

New Orleans had ample chances to win after that in regulation plus OT.

And yeah - how many homer refs have robbed HS teams? Too many to count. There’s an important lesson in that. Life isn’t fair and you have to do you best regardless of the circumstances. And don’t wallow in the unfairness - that leads to a loser mindset.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

Your logic makes no sense. If the game is rigged against you, you are going to lose. LOL.

BTW, I never said the ref was "dirty" but we have no way of knowing either way.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Cardinal rule to not blame the refs, got it.

When a call is so clearly wrong on two counts (interference & helmet to helmet) and without question the Saints would have won, the refs deserve to be called out.

Theo, you are catching this mid-discussion... I've already stated the ref should be reprimanded if not fired. Just like the ref who was stationed to watch the qb in the previous Ram series should be reprimanded for missing the facemask that would have given them first down at the 1.

New Orleans had ample chances to win after that in regulation plus OT.

And yeah - how many homer refs have robbed HS teams? Too many to count. There’s an important lesson in that. Life isn’t fair and you have to do you best regardless of the circumstances. And don’t wallow in the unfairness - that leads to a loser mindset.

:exactly:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Your logic makes no sense. If the game is rigged against you, you are going to lose. LOL.

BTW, I never said the ref was "dirty" but we have no way of knowing either way.

We all put on pads, cleats, etc... If you are truly the better team, you will overcome. If not and you leave it to the refs, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.