Replacing Grantham

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Bengals last year. Where did Jack Del Rio go? He loves Grantham.
There was alot of smoke around a couple of people Bengals wanted for DC and Grantham wasnt one of them. He may have done a short interview but several people were interviewed that day per the media in Oh. Thd rest was an agent concoction to get more money IMO.

Now, it is the Bengals and they did hire a former UC offense of coordinator who put 100+ ranked offense on the field, so their ability to make stupid decisions isn't in doubt.

Woodstork

Dec 19, 2019
TG’s style of defense is a lot of fun to watch, but i fear it isn’t likely to carry the Gators to any championships. Might be just good enough to contribute to one if Dan’s offense becomes juggernaut in the running game though (think EJ or AR with a strong o-line controlling tempo and clock while scoring on a high possession percentage).

I do like the wild-eyed blitz-crazy SOBs style of play much more than the sit back and get ass-raped Randy Shannon ‘bend and then break’ style. TG is at least watchable.

Of the two baffling “hire a defensive coordinator after they were fired from your most-hated rivals” decisions, TG is a major upgrade over RS.

I became a Gator fan watching Wilber destroy offenses and turn the eyes of quarterbacks wide-open white. We’ve had a long line of fear-inducing rush backers and linemen from Pell through Meyer. Especially love the ‘Honk if you’ve sacked Troy Smith’ bumper stickers.

Grantham brought that mojo back. Hats off to Greenard this year (think about the D without him and remember he’s TGs catch). So I’m ok with TG for now. If the run D doesn’t improve against better teams within 2 years from now (when the 2020 D-line haul is all grown ass men) and if we continue to make Smart look smart, I will certainly change my mind.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
TG’s style of defense is a lot of fun to watch
Yeah, against lousy offensive teams. Against anyone with a pulse, we give up about 75% conversions on third downs and force about 2 punts a game. I’d hardly call THAT fun to watch.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Every scheme looks fun when you’re athletes are 10x better than your opponents. Who’s your favorite non-elite talent defense?

Woodstork

Dec 19, 2019
Yeah, against lousy offensive teams. Against anyone with a pulse, we give up about 75% conversions on third downs and force about 2 punts a game. I’d hardly call THAT fun to watch.

I understand the third and Grantham idea, but it is a bit overblown. 3rd down on both sides of the ball cost us the UGLY game. Nobody stopped LSU this year and we were missing our most important defensive players. Burrow had all day and tomorrow because we lacked anyone with a pulse that could pressure the passer. The book is still out on TG for me but I’m finding some joy in seeing a D playing to win with aggression. I think he will have a much more complete roster bulked up and ready by 2021. If the D scheme costs us a major game then, then fire his ass. From what I’ve seen so far in his Florida tenure, shortcomings are more related to holes in position talent than deficient scheme or poor prep. I think his D will be fine with decent interior linemen and real safeties.

Opponent 3rd Down%. Punts
08/24/19 + Miami (Fla.) 15.38 4
09/07/19 Tenn.-Martin 35.71 8
09/14/19 @ Kentucky 53.33 2
09/21/19 Tennessee 30.77 5
09/28/19 Towson 53.33 3
10/05/19 9 Auburn 14.29 8
10/12/19 @ 1 LSU 25.00 2
10/19/19 @ South Car. 38.89 7
11/02/19 + 5 Georgia 66.67 2
11/09/19 Vanderbilt 20.00 9
11/16/19 @ Missouri 27.78 10
11/30/19 Florida St. 35.71 6
Totals. 36.26
@ : Away, + : Neutral Site
Source CFBStats

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I also saw Venables at OU and his defense wasn’t too good. I’m sure he’s made some adjustments but getting 5* DL does more for a defense than any scheme ever will - especially when the OL they’re facing are borderline G5. I’d be interested to know what he changed other than upgrading his talent and downgrading his opponents talent.

Related - I’m asking that partly because I’m interested and partly because I’m holding out hope dawg DC heads for greener pastures and I want to know who to watch during the bowl games.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
How could that not be a good idea? Bring Durkin back too

Meh, guy could probably still recruit well and coach D. Doesn’t have the baggage Durkin does for off the field bs. I know you’re probably being sarcastic, but felt like replying anyway

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
Meh, guy could probably still recruit well and coach D. Doesn’t have the baggage Durkin does for off the field bs. I know you’re probably being sarcastic, but felt like replying anyway

Oh it’s all good I was being sarcastic because I feel like we’re stuck for at least another year or so

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.