REPORT: UF to hire Oregon WR coach Matt Lubick?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Well....silence may be JMac licking his wounds regarding Lubick and still working out plan B.

Or, silence may mean someone bigger and better, and some of just spin ourselves up on that until we hear something.

This is one I'm just going to back out of the discussion to see what happens. I got no insight, and little expectations so I can be (happily?) surprised when an announcement is made.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n152984 said:
This was a pretty big build up for this hire. I am hoping the guy is still in the playoffs. It just seems that we seem to go through this all the time. When Michigan wanted to go after Harbaugh it happened pretty quick with no drama.

From our side Michigan had no drama. I'm sure Michigan fans were all ripping their hair out waiting for his season to be over.

Singularity

Dec 18, 2014
The timeline just doesn't fit for most except if it was Charlie Williams of the Colts. Maybe other targets were or areare in play as well.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We hired a guy that went 10-3 in the Mountain West, had two losing seasons before that and has never won a championship even in the little league. He hired a DC that had the 80th ranked defense and the OC that had the 110th ranked offense and got dismissed by Saban the year before.

We can spin it, say yeah but look at another defensive stat, blame it on lack of talent at Meatchicken and Fresno, or Saban making them be boring or whatever. The fact that you must come up with excuses alone lets you know what position we are in. That first paragraph is exactly what is going in the ears of recruits from opposing coaches.

That should tell you everything you need to know. And explain why coaching hires and recruiting are still in the shiiitter.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n153193 said:
Why is this thread still stickied? It's clear Lubick isn't the guy.
It's clear you aren't the guy either but we keep you around.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Law98gator;n153190 said:
We hired a guy that went 10-3 in the Mountain West, had two losing seasons before that and has never won a championship even in the little league. He hired a DC that had the 80th ranked defense and the OC that had the 110th ranked offense and got dismissed by Saban the year before.

We can spin it, say yeah but look at another stat, blame it on lack of talent at Meatchicken and Fresno, or Saban making them be boring or whatever. However that first paragraph is exactly what is going in the ears or recruits.

That should tell you everything you need to know. And explain why coaching hires and recruiting are still in the shiiitter.

It must suck to be you. Are you ever happy?

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n153190 said:

We can spin it, say yeah but look at another stat, blame it on lack of talent at Meatchicken and Fresno, or Saban making them be boring or whatever. However that first paragraph is exactly what is going in the ears or recruits.

I am sure some coaches are trying to spin it that way. I didn't like the DC or OC hire but I think on offense it shouldn't matter with McElwain running the show and having worked with the new OC previously. I got tore up on another site for saying I wasn't sure about the DC hire because of the stats 3 of the past 4 years but hopefully he works out good.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n153233 said:
If I was recruiting against Florida, this first paragraph would be my mantra. If I was a smart recruit, the first paragraph would be playing in a loop everyday. These recruits want to a) be in a position to play in a high profile game in the playoffs, and b) improve their skills so they can compete for the NFL. Coach Mac's first few decisions puzzle me, however, hopefully it will work out for the best. Behind the scenes, if money issues was the reason why would could not land/retain our preferred coaches, then Foley really needs to hang it up.

I think the Mountain West part should actually help McElwain because he turned them around pretty quickly. I think money might have kept us from trying to grab some current top coordinators out there. I would think Florida should be able to sale early playing time and point to our past quick turnarounds however.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I get the feeling that Lubick did agree to come but maybe had second thoughts. That or Oregon is backing the brinks truck up.

Amazin1

Finally found my way home
Jan 10, 2015
I think you're right Williston. That rumor was super-hot. either he got cold feet or got paid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator