Ricky Town to Arky

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
KCgator;n262279 said:
Why do we need him? Grier is the chosen one to deliver us from mediocrity.

We'll have Harris and Grier this season. Presumably, the loser of that competition will transfer. That's been our problem for years now--not having enough quality QBs on the roster. We're constantly starting true freshmen and the results speak for themselves.

Let's say the winner of the Harris-Grier competition is a real baller. We're going to need depth behind the winner of that competition for next year, and we may need a successor for the following year.

Let's say the winner of the Harris-Grier competition is average. Not only are we still going to need depth next year, we may need somebody who can compete for the starting job.

This kid was a hotshot 5 star. His senior year wasn't stellar so he dropped to a 4 star. The switch from Bama to SCal doesn't scare me. He committed to Nussy who left for Michigan. Instead of being coached by Lane Kiffen he opted for his hometown school. HOWEVER, once he got there, he was outplayed for the starting job. That's the area for concern.

Think of him as a 3/4 star prospect with a lot of upside who can provide quality depth and possibly compete for a starting job. Given our QB depth chart, that's not a bad deal.

Alex.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
AlexDaGator;n262508 said:
. HOWEVER, once he got there, he was outplayed for the starting job. That's the area for concern.

Alex.

The starting job at usc wasnt up for grabs. Their qb now is a senior and a possible heisman candidate. He put up ridiculous numbers last year. This kid is a stud.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n262517 said:
The starting job at usc wasnt up for grabs. Their qb now is a senior and a possible heisman candidate. He put up ridiculous numbers last year. This kid is a stud.

I think USC is leaning more towards mobile QB's going forward. This kid recognized he wasn't gonna win the future starting job against some other more athletic kids on the squad. He saw the writing on the wall...better he go ahead and move somewhere now that will better fit his style then to wait 2 or 3 years and waist eligibility.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Alagator;n262518 said:
I think USC is leaning more towards mobile QB's going forward. This kid recognized he wasn't gonna win the future starting job against some other more athletic kids on the squad. He saw the writing on the wall...better he go ahead and move somewhere now that will better fit his style then to wait 2 or 3 years and waist eligibility.
That's understandable. I like our chances to get him. USC put crazy restrictions on him.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Competition never hurts. I say bring him on and let him compete.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think they said on the radio today that he can't go to another pac12 team or bama. He also can't go to Notre dame or any other team that plays usc. Down to us and Arkansas

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
There is no reason not to take this kid. We don't know if anybody we have or have signed can actually play QB. I say bring in as many kids as we can until we find a couple who can actually handle the position at SEC level.

GatorGorilla

Jan 2, 2015
t-gator;n262537 said:
I think they said on the radio today that he can't go to another pac12 team or bama. He also can't go to Notre dame or any other team that plays usc. Down to us and Arkansas

Ya, I read because Bama & ND are on the upcoming schedule he will be restricted.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n262542 said:
There is no reason not to take this kid. We don't know if anybody we have or have signed can actually play QB. I say bring in as many kids as we can until we find a couple who can actually handle the position at SEC level.
Exactly. Look at bama. Every time they have an opening at the qb position they have 2 or 3 guys competing for it.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorGorilla;n262543 said:
Ya, I read because Bama & ND are on the upcoming schedule he will be restricted.
I think it's pretty ridiculous the restrictions they put on this kid.

GatorGorilla

Jan 2, 2015
They all do it, we should have done it with MooseCrap instead of watching him pull our potential recruits while we are paying this loser

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
ATXGator;n262542 said:

If 2 or 3 years ago, we had used our 90th and 91st scholarships on 2 QBs who did nothing but throw passes to our receivers for three hours every day during the off-season, that would have been good value.

When you have a really strong program, ideally sophomores and freshmen should almost never be serious candidates for starting jobs. The older guys ahead of them should be more experienced, bigger & stronger due to more time in the strength & nutrition program, and at least in a conversation as potential NFL players.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yankeetown;n262569 said:
If 2 or 3 years ago, we had used our 90th and 91st scholarships on 2 QBs who did nothing but throw passes to our receivers for three hours every day during the off-season, that would have been good value.

We had a 6'6" Provancha who should have been able to fire sizzling passes to off-season WRs. ??

Delg8tor

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
URGatorBait;n262124 said:
Bossman said I'm not allowed to ban anyone without his permission. Which means joeblow is probably an Ox alias:scratchchin:

I think he is Mike Winter who has nothing but negative comments at the bottom of stories on gatorsports.com. His one post is almost, if not exactly, verbatim the same as a mike winter post on the Ricky town article over there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.