Gator Basketball Robinson and Egbunu to test NBA

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
No way I draft DRob in the first round, and probably not the 2nd round either. I like the kid and enjoyed watching him play here, but I just don't see him as a professional athlete. He seems to lack the want to. Ridiculous athlete, hope he dedicates himself and makes a career for himself.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
He probably has been almost assured he goes in the 2nd round by some team but I see the places that show both rounds don't list him as being drafted.

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Like I said before, hope he knows a second language.

Well Finney-Smith went undrafted but made the Mavs his rookie season and started almost half their games. He is a pretty good guy go compare Robinson to:

Finney-Smith at the NBA draft combined measured 6'7.8" in shoes, with a wingspan of 6'11.8" and weighed in at 213 lbs

Robinson at his last listed camp in 2014 measured 6'8.5" in shoes with a wingspan of 6'11.5" and UF lists his weight now at 200 lbs.

So to me size wise they are quite similar players. We will see what Robinson measures in this years NBA draft combine.

As for as production at UF on a per 40 minute basis each players' last year at UF:

Finney-Smith: 18.5 points, 10.5 rebounds, 2.6 assists, 2.4 turnovers
Robinson: 16.8 points, 9.2 rebounds, 1.0 assists, 1.6 turnovers

Shooting:

Finney-Smith: 50.5% inside the arc, 36.6% from the arc and 73.3% from the FT line.
Robinson: 52.4% inside the arc, 39.1% from the arc and 72.3% from the FT line.

So Finney-Smith is a slightly more productive player, but Robinson is a slightly better shooter. Finney-Smith also had a slightly better PER than Robinson, but Robinson has the advantage of coming out a year earlier than Finney-Smith.

It seems pretty clear to me that if Finney-Smith could get in the right situation and make an NBA roster, then Robinson could too. It also seems pretty clear to me than an NBA team could well look at Robinson's athleticism and UF players particuarly SFs making rosters despite not being drafted or being picked in the second round and think Robinson is more worthy of spending a draft pick on than some other players that draft analysts think are likely to be picked. We shall see.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well Finney-Smith went undrafted but made the Mavs his rookie season and started almost half their games. He is a pretty good guy go compare Robinson to:

Finney-Smith at the NBA draft combined measured 6'7.8" in shoes, with a wingspan of 6'11.8" and weighed in at 213 lbs

Robinson at his last listed camp in 2014 measured 6'8.5" in shoes with a wingspan of 6'11.5" and UF lists his weight now at 200 lbs.

So to me size wise they are quite similar players. We will see what Robinson measures in this years NBA draft combine.

As for as production at UF on a per 40 minute basis each players' last year at UF:

Finney-Smith: 18.5 points, 10.5 rebounds, 2.6 assists, 2.4 turnovers
Robinson: 16.8 points, 9.2 rebounds, 1.0 assists, 1.6 turnovers

Shooting:

Finney-Smith: 50.5% inside the arc, 36.6% from the arc and 73.3% from the FT line.
Robinson: 52.4% inside the arc, 39.1% from the arc and 72.3% from the FT line.

So Finney-Smith is a slightly more productive player, but Robinson is a slightly better shooter. Finney-Smith also had a slightly better PER than Robinson, but Robinson has the advantage of coming out a year earlier than Finney-Smith.

It seems pretty clear to me that if Finney-Smith could get in the right situation and make an NBA roster, then Robinson could too. It also seems pretty clear to me than an NBA team could well look at Robinson's athleticism and UF players particuarly SFs making rosters despite not being drafted or being picked in the second round and think Robinson is more worthy of spending a draft pick on than some other players that draft analysts think are likely to be picked. We shall see.
Great comparisons. I don't know about you but DFS seemed to play harder and more aggressive in all aspects of the game than Robinson did. At least that's what my eye sees.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Great comparisons. I don't know about you but DFS seemed to play harder and more aggressive in all aspects of the game than Robinson did. At least that's what my eye sees.

I saw Robinson, Finney-Smith and Parsons for that matter as fairly inconsistent. Some of it was having to play fairly often against someone's 6'3 to 6'5" third guards who make handling the ball an adventure for each. I have long argued that player does not exist in the NBA which helped out Parson immensely. Thinking about it this morning, I realized these players may be helped as much as any by the tolerance for traveling in the NBA.

I am pondering this morning if I think Finney-Smith played a bit harder than the other two or if in Robinson we just did not see his SR season. I know none of the three have yet shown the alpha dog mentality to be more than a role player.

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, dfs had a bigger motor and was a way better defender.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
DFS has a different level of maturity and decision making ability.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No way I draft DRob in the first round, and probably not the 2nd round either. I like the kid and enjoyed watching him play here, but I just don't see him as a professional athlete. He seems to lack the want to. Ridiculous athlete, hope he dedicates himself and makes a career for himself.

They are all Gators and I wish them all the best of luck. The best thing that ever happened to DFS was not getting drafted in the second round. This allowed him to find a place that really wanted him and that he wanted to be. Carlisle and Cuban love his effort and he really helped the team out when Nowitski was injured. DFS has a really good chance of sticking around a long time.

Robinson can only hope to find a similar fit and I hope he does.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I realize it is early, but many mock drafts don't even have Devin being drafted. A lot of second round picks go to euros that are high caliber players but are currently under contract over seas. That limits one's chances in the second round. I've only seen one recent mock draft that has him being taken. The rest have him as a rookie free agent.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
They are all Gators and I wish them all the best of luck. The best thing that ever happened to DFS was not getting drafted in the second round. This allowed him to find a place that really wanted him and that he wanted to be. Carlisle and Cuban love his effort and he really helped the team out when Nowitski was injured. DFS has a really good chance of sticking around a long time.

Robinson can only hope to find a similar fit and I hope he does.

I agree but is there not a money difference between being drafted and not? I don't really know but I am sure others on here do. Good luck to all Gators.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I agree but is there not a money difference between being drafted and not? I don't really know but I am sure others on here do. Good luck to all Gators.

Finney-Smith's contract paid him $543,471 this year according to:

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/dallas_mavericks/

While the 36th pick who is the 2nd rounder I found salary information on first made $875,000. I wonder if someone around 55 made much more than Finney-Smith.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Finney-Smith's contract paid him $543,471 this year according to:

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/dallas_mavericks/

While the 36th pick who is the 2nd rounder I found salary information on first made $875,000. I wonder if someone around 55 made much more than Finney-Smith.

Not that much difference and still about 7 years of the most that I ever made not to mention some of the extra benefits. I hope it works out for him.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Dang didn't realize Johnson would have 2 years remaining. If Eggy leaves and we somehow landed Johnson and Egor, id start planning my Final Four trip already.
I think if we get either one of em we can be contenders for a final 4 run. Still concerned about us in the paint next year though.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I think if we get either one of em we can be contenders for a final 4 run. Still concerned about us in the paint next year though.

I'm still holding out hope that Bassett and Stokes can give us some solid contributions. I feel pretty good about Gak and Hayes (hope he packs on some weight though). I'm already excited for next year lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator