Sharing a few thoughts...

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Haven't had much that I've wanted to add on here lately (more on that later), but I thought I'd stop by to share a few thoughts:

*Watched only bits and pieces of the O&B game. c2 jr. came home for the weekend and we were out to eat at a local sports bar. Liked what I saw of Luke Del Rio. Probably most impressed with his poise and check downs. Seemed to know where all of the receivers were on each pass play. Makes me think that this kid, who could easily be called a journeyman, spent last year listening and learning. Yeah, I know it's just a Spring game against the 2's, but better this output than something less. Didn't see Appleby, so not sure what to think other than he is #2 or so as of now. Trask was not bad and though Franks' final stat line wasn't good, he's got the physical skills and is with, I believe, the right guys to develop him. The position should be in good shape (barring injury or stupid decisions) for a bit. Liked Massey and Whorton and Lewis looks poised to have a good season. The big RB is a player. Just got to, as many have stated, improve his ball security. OL should be better, but they've still got work to do and depth development may be atop the list. Defensively, the secondary looked pretty good (1's, of course) and the new LB (name escapes me) looked like a player in the making. DL appears solid and I think that Jefferson's move inside (which his body type seemed to indicate would happen when eyes were first laid on him last season) should pay dividends. All in all, probably the best O&B game in a while and the Spring wasn't rife with injuries as we've had. Also, can't forget the new kicker. Good to have a weapon at the position.

*This the first time I've felt like posting in a while. I usually drop by and read most days, but quite frankly, I've grown very weary of the constant negativity where Gator sports, especially football and basketball are concerned. As such, this place has all the appeal of a visit to the morgue for me right now. I know that this is a place for opinions, but it sure seems that the contrasting ones are predominant ("pumpers" vs. "realists," for example) and for me, at least, it has come to suck all the enjoyment out of talking Gator sports. Not demanding that anybody change (that's not my job), just hoping I can. Go Gators.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nice post cover. And your sentiments in the last paragraph are exactly mine. Hopefully things change a bit once the season gets going. We'll see.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You're thinking of Kylan Johnson. He was fantastic. It's nice to have coaches that can actually develop talent. Not a highly recruited guy but this staff continues to show that they can develop players.

Imagine what they'll be able to do when they start landing some big fish.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Great post C2. I too am very impressed with the game and I can't wait for the season. Barring some bad luck and injuries, we are looking solid for 2015.

The fact that Appleby scored on two drives against our 1st defense says we are heading in the right direction on offense.

I like that we can complete a 7 yard pass (LDR) on a 3rd and 6.

Also, two of our best recruits are not on campus so we have more to look forward to.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks for the opinion Cover2.

I enjoy your take on many levels.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
It's nice to have coaches that can actually develop talent.

Gray is already paying big with guys like Dawson and Gardner. He's done more with less for years. I'm excited to see what he can do at UF. Coach Mac knows how to surround himself with quality coaches. That's something Chump couldn't do.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks Cover.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I feel good about where we are after seeing the spring game. I'm pretty excited about next fall and that's coming from somebody who was pretty down on the program not too long ago. I think the perception of where we are may be changing.

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
*This the first time I've felt like posting in a while. I usually drop by and read most days, but quite frankly, I've grown very weary of the constant negativity where Gator sports, especially football and basketball are concerned. As such, this place has all the appeal of a visit to the morgue for me right now. I know that this is a place for opinions, but it sure seems that the contrasting ones are predominant ("pumpers" vs. "realists," for example) and for me, at least, it has come to suck all the enjoyment out of talking Gator sports. Not demanding that anybody change (that's not my job), just hoping I can. Go Gators.
I feel ya bro...

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Spot on as always Cover. I know some of the negativity can bring it down some around here. May be pumping a bit, but I think we'll have a lot to cheer about around here come August.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We have a lot to cheer about right now >> NC contenders in baseball, softball, gymnastics, etc
Plus we got a valid CFB team and a promising baskteball team.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I feel good about where we are after seeing the spring game. I'm pretty excited about next fall and that's coming from somebody who was pretty down on the program not too long ago. I think the perception of where we are may be changing.

I have to wonder if somebody hacked t's login.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Thanks for the commentary on the negativity around here. I admit to some of it myself due to the way the season ended. Ugh, I'm still pissed about the way we seem to approach bowl games.

One aspect of the negativity that really gets to me is the "trashing" of players. It's fair game to critique player performance, capability, fitness, etc. But some of the rhetoric used on here to go after players bothers me. And yes I block those posters.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
images

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Too much hanging out in the PF will tend to do that.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Great post, cover. I agree on all accounts!

Not sure which LB you were referring to. Kylan Johnson is a converted safety and it looks to be a good move for him. David Reese is an early enrollee and he showed up in some moments too. Coaching staff seems really high on Reese. Like jarred Davis, Reese may be our next stud LB who started out as a 3* without much acclaim or expectations. Of course, Collins seemed very high on him on signing day.

Excited about the future of Gator football!

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
As always great insight from C2.

The last paragraph is definitely true. I still come here and post, but it definitely gets weary reading all the negative comments. Contrary to what many people think... UF has one of the greatest athletic departments in the country and while there is room for improvement, few universities every even come close to the success we have had.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Great post, Cover! Agree on ALL! And I'm thrilled that you see reasons for optimism after the spring game. I know it's early, but we needed a reason to believe 2016 won't be a continuation of 2015's finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator