Show recommendation thread

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I watched the finale last night. Very mediocre ending. The Scarsgard character was annoying AF too.
It ended as it would have in real life, there is no way the kids would "win," but yes, left me wanting for sure.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Arnold on Netflix.

Excellent, and highly recommend. My wife had absolutely zero interest in watching it, but was was near instantly hooked and she loved it. 3 one hour segments.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Arnold on Netflix.

Excellent, and highly recommend. My wife had absolutely zero interest in watching it, but was was near instantly hooked and she loved it. 3 one hour segments.

as in the Terminator dude or the whatchoo talking about Willis kid?

or... for us older hillbillies:

iu

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Probably reviewed already but The Diplomat with Kerri Russell is pretty good so far. Netflix.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Finally finished Night Agent (2023) <Netflix> per recommendations here. Writing seemed alright, mostly hgeld your interest and kept moving. Kept to core characters without a lot of distractions, but layered in several pivots on who to trust. Appears to set up for a sequel/spin-off, don't knowif I'd follow the aon guy to something new. I'd give this series a 7/10, not great but better than a lot of stuff put out these days.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Based On A True Story (Peacock) - Kelly Cuoco stars. The preview for this show is that an married couple with a baby on the way are having financial struggles. She is a murder show fanatic so when a serial killer is in their town she wants to start a podcast baiting the serial killer to come on the air one day in hopes of making a lot of money and catching them. My wife loves to watch murder shows so she was all on board and it looked funny enough. What you get instead is a couple, who aren't very likable, who figure out who the killer is and blackmail them into doing the podcast with them or so they think even though he gains control to promote his "brand". Playing out this way its a lot less funny and much more WTF. Also way to many fantasy/daydream sessions each character has. We tapped out after episode 6 and just read how it ended.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I watched the last season of Barry over the last week. Not too bad of an ending. I'd give it a 7/10, worth watching if you haven't seen it.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Tales from the Loop (2020) <Amazon>

Only made the one season, eight episodes. Premise per IMDB: "The townspeople who live above "The Loop," a machine built to unlock and explore the mysteries of the universe, experience things previously consigned to the realm of science fiction." This is an Amazon original.

They utilize the same cast throughout the season for the most part, so in that sense the last episode somewhat ties things up leaving you with no footing for another season unless you start with a new cast and explain the transition. Its ok that that don't. However, each episode can stand on it's own, yes there is some carryover of characters, but each episode has it's own storyline and ending; though as noted the finale somewhat ties the whole thing up. You may recognize the 'mom' in the series, and her father-in-law who built the loop; otherwise I didn't know any of the cast.

As much as folks like me loved the 80's sound, look, and feel of Stranger Things, this nails it for the late 70's theme on clothes, houses, all appearances. Knock on the soundtrack, however, as it's more atmospheric than era related, in an effort to convey the surreal nature of events. In this alternate 70's setting, the town is littered with technology, like 15 ft tall robots that nobody thinks twice about, or weird towers and periodic hums/vibrations. Most everyone works underground at the loop, but the other 30-40% of the populatiuon are just regular 1970's townfolk.

With the fictional town setting and the 'Loop' proving the impossible to be possible, consider this a thowback setting for twighlight zone like episodes. This hits you right out of the gate in the first episode with a young girl and her mom who works for the loop. Mom brings home something from work to run an experiment, and when kid after kid returns from school the next day the entire house is simply gone....an empty space where it was. She heads around town to find her, pairs up with a boy her age for help, and then things get really twisted. In another, a girl finds a thermos device while fishing, gets it working again and finds it can stop time. There is only one 'woke'ish episode, involves a black man in love with a white guy, and while a few episodes have brief boobage and strong sexual content (incl this one) it all is more entwined with the story than attempting to be woke in your face. While some of the stories you can kinda predict the direction it is going, they don't end where you expect, which is both depressing and refreshing at the same time.

I loved the setting, the tech effect, the special effects (time stoppage, a guy hanging out with his doppleganger), the acting (two actors swap bodies, and it is wholly believable in the change of their behaviours). Slight loss of points on the music selection, and big point loss for how SLOOOOooooooowwwww every damn episode seems to crawl along. But despite that, they are still worth it for the fresh take on some common plots and some fairly uncommon ones. 8/10

DarksideGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 8, 2017
Watched “Love and Death” on HBO. True story about a spouse not getting what she needs at home so starts an affair with another member of her church. Short series, 7 episodes, good characters, some great music soundtrack, acting was decent, story was well done. Keeps you guessing. Don’t want to give away the whole story!

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Watched “Love and Death” on HBO. True story about a spouse not getting what she needs at home so starts an affair with another member of her church. Short series, 7 episodes, good characters, some great music soundtrack, acting was decent, story was well done. Keeps you guessing. Don’t want to give away the whole story!

loves me some Elizabeth Olsen

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
The DROPOUT on HULU. Mini-series (8 episodes) about Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos.

8/10.

I didn't really keep up with the news or trial so I'm not informed as to how accurate the docudrama is or isn't.

The actor that played her did a great job.

I can absolutely see how they could morph into a billion dollar company without a product. The dynamics involved (as set up in the movie) ring true.

Worth the watch.

elizabeth-holmes11.0.1487522957.jpg

Last edited:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
The DROPOUT on HULU. Mini-series (8 episodes) about Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos.

8/10.

I didn't really keep up with the news or trial so I'm not informed as to how accurate the docudrama is or isn't.

The actor that played her did a great job.

I can absolutely see how they could morph into a billion dollar company without a product. The dynamics involved (as set up in the movie) ring true.

Worth the watch.

View attachment 59053

I'll check this out. Listened to a podcast on events a few years ago but I didn't follow the trial either. Crazy story. Seems to be the same sort of story with Sam Bankman-Fried and Crypto currency.

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
Just finished Manifest....an ending I predicted but still satisfying enough....curious how The Blacklist will end and very excited for the return of Justified

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Has anyone posted about The Bear?
My son, former culinary graduate, highly recommended it.

We just started watching it and it is really good.

The Bear

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
SILO on Apple TV.

It began as a novella named "Wool" , self published as an ebook on Amazon for $1.99 in 2011. I read it then and all the sequels. Great Sci-fi read.

Season one (10 episodes) just wrapped up. I give it an 7.5/10 but may be lower if you haven't read the books. They skipped over a lot of the details in the movie and I'm not sure they developed the characters or the situation all that well.

I would recommend reading the books.

Amazon product

Good story about the author

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I finally watched The Last of Us (HBO), really good. They're not expecting the next season to release until late 24 or early 25. WTF?? You can't go two years between seasons! lol

I watched the first episode of House of Dragons (HBO) - pretty good. Plan to burn through that over the next few weeks.

Also watching Righteous Gemstones as they release new episodes. Anything w Danny McBride is funny AF.

@DarksideGator I'll put Love and Death on my watch list (trying to burn through HBO shows before I cancel it)

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I finally watch The Last of Us (HBO), really good. They're not expecting the next season to release until late 24 or early 25. WTF?? You can't go two years between seasons! lol

I watched the first episode of House of Dragons (HBO) - pretty good. Plan to burn through that over the next few weeks.

Also watching Righteous Gemstones as they release new episodes. Anything w Danny McBride is funny AF.

@DarksideGator I'll put Love and Death on my watch list (trying to burn through HBO shows before I cancel it)

This guy:

Hbo Gemstoneshbo GIF by The Righteous Gemstones

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.