So it's Treon's fault?

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
ufgator812;n299101 said:
But only 5 of his last 16 when the game was on the line.

Exactly.

Blame the defense in the 2ns quarter, absolutely, they sucked. But in the 2nd half, the defense came out and played. They got stops.

But down the stretch, with the game on the line, Treon sucked. He did not lose the game by himself, but we had to have great QB play tonight and we did not get it.

The good news is that I think Treon is good enough for us to win the rest of our games. So while this game was, as Ox said, missed opportunities, I still think our season looks great.

And yes, in my opinion, if Grier had been there we would have won by at least two touchdowns. What a dumba$$!!!

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
Zambo;n299233 said:
look bro, you basically started a whole thread claiming there is a whole cadre of folks blaming this loss squarely on Treon. There isn't one such person so just stop trying to fan a little puff of smoke into a raging inferno. Those same people in the chat box who were disgusted when Treon didn't make a good play were also disgusted when the defense didn't make a good play or when special teams didn't make a good play.

Whether there's people or not that are blaming this on Treon, I stand by my my opinion that this loss is rests more on the defense and FG call than on Treon himself. No need to argue anymore.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Swamped Gator;n299118 said:
I was unaware that was the difference in the game.... Get over it and stop blaming him. He didn't suck on defense in the first half and he certainly didn't screw up on the fake field goal that everyone knew was coming. I'm not saying he's as good as or better than Grier, but please please please stop blaming the kid. We put up 28 points, the defense should've held LSU under 28.

Why is ok to call out the defense but not the quarterback play? Remember that while the defense was giving up 28 points, the offense wasn't doing anything!

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Last time I looked, it was a team sport.:dunno:

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It was our 'DBU" that couldn't stop a QB who isn't that good at passing that lost the game. Our D has to play better

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
RocketCityGator;n299251 said:
Why is ok to call out the defense but not the quarterback play? Remember that while the defense was giving up 28 points, the offense wasn't doing anything!

I never said it wasn't ok to call out the QB play, I said it was unfair to blame the loss on the QB play. Big difference.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Treon isn't good enough to carry the team by himself, but he did his job. We only had 55 total yds rushing. How often do you win with 55 yds rushing compared to the other team with 221 yds rushing? The defense gave up 35 points. Sure, there were situations when I would have rather had Grier in there, and he has the higher upside, but I'm not entirely convinced we would have won tonight with Grier either.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Zambo;n299188 said:
Only one team can play offense at a tiime. The less we are out there with the ball, the more plays those guys can run. The fact is that two of our four touchdowns were a total gift from the muffed punt (took us a 4th down play to score), and a punt return. Other than that we put together two scoring drives. Two.

This.

While our defense was giving up 28 points, where was our offense?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Defense in the 2nd quarter was the biggest reason we lost this game. Treon made some pretty horrific throws late, but he did some really good things throughout the game and kept us in it. I've said it before, though, and I'll say it again. It more or less feels like an accident when the offense makes a big play in the passing game with Treon in there. And given Callaway's INSANE catch on the sideline, the schoolyard play late in the 4th quarter, and a few other scrambles here and there, and that holds true. The offense is what it is with Treon in there, and we don't have the blocking to just keep running the read option with him like we did last year. Gonna need this week off to figure out what works and doesn't work with him in there.

Really disappointed with what the defense did (or didn't do) in the 2nd quarter. That TD right before halftime was unforgivable.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Just got home from a Gator Watch party. A few observations as I've read the whole thread and would like to add my 2 cents. (1) Though it didn't cost us the game and you should be good enough to overcome them we got HOSED on two calls tonight - the fumble on the sideline and that intentional grounding call on Treon in the 2nd half that was a really, really, really bad call. For the record the Gators every year manage to get a penalty called on them I've never f***ing heard of before or seen called in a game before - delay of game for a kick off. Yeah, I know it had no bearing on the game but Jesus Christ I've NEVER heard or seen that call before. (2) that fake FG is Mac's fault. He's coached in the SEC long enough to know Miles' history on that and he should have had a play for that ready ready for that. Every body at the watch party was yelling "Fake FG! Watch for the Fake Field goal!" But that was one mistake by Mac. Wasn't Treaon's fault he and the team were in a position to win and just could not put it together at the end; and finaly (3) its one loss and we are still in position to call our own destiny. So stop yer whinning Gators and let's move on to UGA in a couple of weeks. If we lose to that team we don't deserve to go any where.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
PaulDrake;n299285 said:
Just got home from a Gator Watch party. A few observations as I've read the whole thread and would like to add my 2 cents. (1) Though it didn't cost us the game and you should be good enough to overcome them we got HOSED on two calls tonight - the fumble on the sideline and that intentional grounding call on Treon in the 2nd half that was a really, really, really bad call. For the record the Gators every year manage to get a penalty called on them I've never f***ing heard of before or seen called in a game before - delay of game for a kick off. Yeah, I know it had no bearing on the game but Jesus Christ I've NEVER heard or seen that call before. (2) that fake FG is Mac's fault. He's coached in the SEC long enough to know Miles' history on that and he should have had a play for that ready ready for that. Every body at the watch party was yelling "Fake FG! Watch for the Fake Field goal!" But that was one mistake by Mac. Wasn't Treaon's fault he and the team were in a position to win and just could not put it together at the end; and finaly (3) its one loss and we are still in position to call our own destiny. So stop yer whinning Gators and let's move on to UGA in a couple of weeks. If we lose to that team we don't deserve to go any where.

Intentional grounding was the right call. He never left the tackle box and threw the ball to no one. Fumble should have been overturned, though. Horrific missed call on the replay.

ockgator

Sep 17, 2014
Why wasn't the sidelines catch in the first half reviewed? Clearly had a foot inbounds, Could see the turf(rubber pellets?) kick up.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n299164 said:
Yep. He had the ball knocked out by the defender. How anyone can classify that as a dropped ball is beyond me.

If only we had the same ref who called Gaffney's TD against Tennessee.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n299277 said:
Defense in the 2nd quarter was the biggest reason we lost this game. Treon made some pretty horrific throws late, but he did some really good things throughout the game and kept us in it. I've said it before, though, and I'll say it again. It more or less feels like an accident when the offense makes a big play in the passing game with Treon in there. And given Callaway's INSANE catch on the sideline, the schoolyard play late in the 4th quarter, and a few other scrambles here and there, and that holds true. The offense is what it is with Treon in there, and we don't have the blocking to just keep running the read option with him like we did last year. Gonna need this week off to figure out what works and doesn't work with him in there.

Really disappointed with what the defense did (or didn't do) in the 2nd quarter. That TD right before halftime was unforgivable.

Letting any team score 4 TD's on you in one quarter pretty much dooms you.

Swamped Gator

Sep 17, 2014
ockgator;n299292 said:
Why wasn't the sidelines catch in the first half reviewed? Clearly had a foot inbounds, Could see the turf(rubber pellets?) kick up.

Seriously, how many calls that have gone against us this year haven't been reviewed. I swear the replay booth guys are sleeping during our games.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n299286 said:
Intentional grounding was the right call. He never left the tackle box and threw the ball to no one. Fumble should have been overturned, though. Horrific missed call on the replay.

No, the fumble on the sideline was probably the correct call. They actually confirmed the call. I don't know if I would have confirmed it, but as a reviewing ref I certainly would have let the call on the field stand. Yes, he did pull the ball towards him before it went out, but by the time he had possession of it he was on his back and part of his body was laying on the sideline.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
L-boy;n299365 said:
No, the fumble on the sideline was probably the correct call. They actually confirmed the call. I don't know if I would have confirmed it, but as a reviewing ref I certainly would have let the call on the field stand. Yes, he did pull the ball towards him before it went out, but by the time he had possession of it he was on his back and part of his body was laying on the sideline.

Looked to me like he had the ball tucked in his stomach firmly before he flipped over.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We thrive on balance and tempo and had it going early, but a few missed receivers, primarily being open and not getting the ball to them, got us out of sync. That and the inability to move the LSU defensive front (their DE had a terrific game) enough to spring Taylor, who's a lot better than he's being credited on this board. We're clearly not the same passing threat with Treon in as with Grier, who can see and make plays that Harris can only dream of. It takes an arm, takes the ability to read the play develop and it takes confidence, all three of which Grier has a decisive edge over Harris.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n299277 said:
. I've said it before, though, and I'll say it again. It more or less feels like an accident when the offense makes a big play in the passing game with Treon in there.

I agree with this.

Let me preface what I am about to say that I would rather have Grier in their than Treon, But to those who feel so sure we would have won the game with Grier in there, in the words of the ever bumbling Lee Corso, not so fast my friend:

- Grier has never thrown for 272 yds
- Treon lead the offense to 4 scores (yes, one with a big assist)
- Grier has thrown 3 pics this year. Treon has Zero.
- The offense with Grier in there last week produced zero points in quarters 2-4, so it isn't a given he is consistently lighting it up all the time

How is this possible? As Cap Sas says above, sometimes Treon throws up what appear to be desperation passes down the field, and sometimes because they way they float up there, they are caught. They are by no means things of beauty (although that one where he rolled left and completed to Calloway down the field was nice ) they are catchable. Grier rarely throws balls like that. He rarely completes the very long pass.

So while Treon's passes were sometimes ugly, they aren't passes likely completed by Grier, and thus Grier probably doesn't throw for 272 yds, and it is entirely plausible Grier forces one in there that gets picked and stops the drive cold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator