So when are we going to get news out of camp?

How many passing yards will UF have in Week 1?

• 149 or less

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • 150 - 199

Votes: 28 22.2%
  • 200 - 249

Votes: 51 40.5%
  • 250 - 299

Votes: 25 19.8%
  • 300+

Votes: 13 10.3%

• Total voters

DMVGator

Aug 15, 2018
Why didn’t Franks just throw it away? Only a four man rush and he threw an awful pass to the LB. he should’ve thrown it to the right instead of directly to the defender.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
He wants Franks to seize it because he knows if Trask does Franks will be gone. But, then Trask would be dumb not to leave and start..somewhere..and be a star there. It's tricky.

DMVGator

Aug 15, 2018
Understand what you are trying to say but Trask is no Grier talent wise and Franks is better than Harris. Of course I like Trask character wise over Grier.

Grier is definitely way better for sure but I was just making a slight comparison to how the QB battle played out. Franks balling out would be a sight to see.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
He wants Franks to seize it because he knows if Trask does Franks will be gone. But, then Trask would be dumb not to leave and start..somewhere..and be a star there. It's tricky.
Franks should just stay and wait for Trask to get injured like Del Rio.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Grier is definitely way better for sure but I was just making a slight comparison to how the QB battle played out. Franks balling out would be a sight to see.
Get what you are saying. Franks did have better practices when Trask was having throwing hand problems. So not clear cut leader due to Trask never starting a game. Grier was much more talented than Harris so clearer picture then than what we have today. . Atleast Franks can see over the OL unlike Harris.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
But, then Trask would be dumb not to leave and start..somewhere..and be a star there. It's tricky.
Trash had zero other offers last time and he will have the same. I expect them both to be encouraged to explore other options after this season.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Understand what you are trying to say but Trask is no Grier talent wise and Franks is better than Harris. Of course I like Trask character wise over Grier.

What makes you think that? Blind faith?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Why didn’t Franks just throw it away? Only a four man rush and he threw an awful pass to the LB. he should’ve thrown it to the right instead of directly to the defender.
His motion is so slow and the read was like three seconds slow. I swear every QB gets worse the longer they play for us.

BTW they are playing a standard 3-4 there with two outside LBs (both showing blitz). That is what Grantham has always used. Not 4-3 hybrid woth a Rush End/Buck/Jack hybrid, one NT, one DT and one SDE.

The "info" filtering out of camp is poor quality, I strongly suspect.

Last edited:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I’m hearing Trask lit it up! OL rose to the occasion and defense is going to be all world.

(I talk to myself sometimes)

Scrimmage was today how the heck does this not get out? Grrr...

Welcome aboard, HI!

No kidding, I actually dreamed last night that I was watching the first game & on the first play Franks pulled the handoff back as the DE cut towards the RB & ran for 30-35 yards.

(It was a dream and does not reflect my expectations. I expect the first play of every game under Mullen to be a zone read dive play into the A gap for 1.5 yards.)

And HI - I can’t get past this correlation...

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
We already know what Franks brings to the table. I’m not sure, even the best coach in the country , could get Franks to make his reads quicker, and develop some kind of pocket awareness.

Frankly, it gets tiresome watching a game and yelling......THROW IT!!!!!!, for 10 seconds, every time he drops back.

We don’t know what we have in Trask.
We all saw a little glimmer of hope in the O & B game. Very limited action there. Coach didn’t exactly add a lot of tests for the QB’s during the game.

Maybe what we need at QB, in our new offense, isn’t a superstar NFL stud type QB.

If Mullen can get 80% out of Trask, from what he got from Leak, we should be fine.

Especially given what we have at Runnjng back.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
If Trask starts and/or plays well enough to lead the Gators to 8+ wins, it will be one of the most amazing stories in college football in years. It would also be a big feather in Mac’s torn and tattered cap, as well as a testament to Mullen’s QB development skills.

If Franks starts and/or plays well enough to lead the Gators to 8+ wins, it will be a fairly normal example of a young player with raw talent developing and improving. It will be a testament to Mullen’s coaching and system. (How long do you try to get that light to come on?)

If Jones starts and/or plays well enough to lead the Gators to 8+ wins, he will join the ranks of other gifted true freshmen who have done the same. It will be a testament to Mullen’s recruiting, coaching and system.

If none of those pan out, I hope Mullen focuses on developing EJ.

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
In The Athletic article from the 15th, Will Sammon broke down a top ten things from camp, and none of them sounded great.

A summary:

1. Franks is probably the QB, due to lack of ready competition. Previous articles have indicated that this should not constitute a prediction that such a situation would stick for the whole season.

2. The O-line is....uh, stinky, with a more unsteady situation at center than there is at QB. Not good.

3. The defensive backfield is thin and injured. Other than that, though....

4. Everyone is excited about how strong they are! Noted is that people are squatting more weight than ever. Which makes sense since it was also noted that last year they didn't do ANY squatting at all -- well, they squatted, but not the kind of squatting that builds strength. The opposite, actually, in fact.

5. The frosh getting the most attboys is a tight end. Tight. End.

Who's ready for Week 1?!!!!

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
"When there was no meat, we ate fowl. When there was no fowl, we ate crawdad. When there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."

"You ate what?"

"We ate sand."

"You ate sand?"

"That's right."

maxresdefault.jpg

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
We already know what Franks brings to the table. I’m not sure, even the best coach in the country , could get Franks to make his reads quicker, and develop some kind of pocket awareness.

Frankly, it gets tiresome watching a game and yelling......THROW IT!!!!!!, for 10 seconds, every time he drops back.

We don’t know what we have in Trask.
We all saw a little glimmer of hope in the O & B game. Very limited action there. Coach didn’t exactly add a lot of tests for the QB’s during the game.

Maybe what we need at QB, in our new offense, isn’t a superstar NFL stud type QB.

If Mullen can get 80% out of Trask, from what he got from Leak, we should be fine.

Especially given what we have at Runnjng back.

We don't "know" what he brings to the table. A simpler offense could improve his results. Now of course we know he is not a top line college QB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator