So why is this different?

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
I don't even know where to begin with this.....ok I think you are mistaking my reference to Meyer working for Bruce as somehow bringing him into the discussion of whether he should be coach instead of BN?
I used the Earl Bruce reference to show how long Meyer had been coaching BEFORE he was hired here....not at all a comparison between which one is here now....my apologies for your confusion.
Ah. Got it. Not that Bruce was a better tutor, but that Myer had a longer career as an assistant than Napier, therefore Napier isn’t worthy.
BTW, both served as an assistant for 14 years before getting their first HC gig.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Since the other thread is locked and I never got a real debate will someone tell me why this hire is SSSSOOOO different that the last 3....Lets look at some similarities to begin with.

-No P5 experience just like Muschamp, Butters and in reality Mullen since he only loses to P5 schools.

-First and only offer just like the others.

-No big name just like the others.

For the record I'm ok with the guy as a Plan B but I still haven't got a rational discussion or debate about this.
Fuchsin broken record

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Thanks for the only attempt at discussing this relevant topic which would be acceptable on any other sports message board.
So lets explore this a little.

One Muschamp HAD HCIW experience despite his shortcomings and anything else mentioned....and like this hire in the beginning I saw the same excitement in the hire. .....check.
Two I've been hearing about "facilities" and upgrades since 2012(?)....check.
Three Mac won at his directional school too before coming here and many were proclaiming we are the new Bama...check.

Four despite not being able to express my feelings and being unjustly labeled as a hater about the hire I have tried repeatedly to say I'm OK with it AS A PLAB B. but I always swing for the fences on the first pitch and would expect a historical giant in CFB to do the same.....he's here all I'm asking is why it is a instant HR to everyone else.
1. Head Coach in waiting doesn't mean dick. It just means you are being strung along so you won't leave to take another job. We found out how much it meant by his performance as an actual HC at Florida and subsequently USCe.

2. Believe it or not the building is basically done and is on schedule to open in time for spring ball. Yes, it took forever, but it's ridiculous to pretend all the construction didn't happen. The building is up and you can go take a look at if you want.

3. McElwain's record at CSU was 22-16. A far cry from Napier's 40-12 record. Sharky had 1 good season then jumped ship. Napier demonstrated the ability to build a total program modeled after the best while working with a very limited budget. By building the successful framework (basically modeled after Bama) he was able to sustain success leading his conference in both recruiting and championships 2 years running.

4. Time will tell. I have a feeling this may turn out to be the best hire of the 2021 coaching carousel.

Now for the closing ribbing, I can't decide between:

Check Please!

and:

Checkmate!

so you take your pick.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
1. Head Coach in waiting doesn't mean dick. It just means you are being strung along so you won't leave to take another job. We found out how much it meant by his performance as an actual HC at Florida and subsequently USCe.

2. Believe it or not the building is basically done and is on schedule to open in time for spring ball. Yes, it took forever, but it's ridiculous to pretend all the construction didn't happen. The building is up and you can go take a look at if you want.

3. McElwain's record at CSU was 22-16. A far cry from Napier's 40-12 record. Sharky had 1 good season then jumped ship. Napier demonstrated the ability to build a total program modeled after the best while working with a very limited budget. By building the successful framework (basically modeled after Bama) he was able to sustain success leading his conference in both recruiting and championships 2 years running.

4. Time will tell. I have a feeling this may turn out to be the best hire of the 2021 coaching carousel.

Now for the closing ribbing, I can't decide between:

Check Please!

and:

Checkmate!

so you take your pick.
Pretty good post. I hope he can hit the road running though as the window closes quickly these days in this conference....seems like they get 3 years or less if you look around the league over the last 5 to 6 years....maybe it's not too big for him and he gets it right.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I never figured Ox for a suspenders type of guy. Not gonna try to hide my disappointment.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Crete doesn't want a serious discussion. His mind is already made up and he just wants to argue others into agreeing with him. Just like a drunk in a sports bar..... oh wait.

Time will answer all the questions our so called opinions create.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
But Meyer had 2 HC positions under his belt and one at a upper level(sorta) program in Utah. Not that Napier has a bad resume or anything like that.
Meyer spent 2 years at BG and 2 years at Utah.
BN spent 4 years at Louisiana.

What’s your point?

GatorCatsi

¡No más tacos gratis!
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2016
The bottom line as far as I see it is that no matter whether you love the hire or hate it, it is another "wait and see" hire not unlike the previous 3. Perhaps the result will be different this time but that's where we are.
Isn't every hire a "wait and see" hire?
I mean, I had no doubt Spurrier would succeed, but it wasn't foreordained.
Aside from the HBC, they've all been "wait and see."

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Since the other thread is locked and I never got a real debate will someone tell me why this hire is SSSSOOOO different that the last 3....Lets look at some similarities to begin with.

-No P5 experience just like Muschamp, Butters and in reality Mullen since he only loses to P5 schools.

-First and only offer just like the others.

-No big name just like the others.

For the record I'm ok with the guy as a Plan B but I still haven't got a rational discussion or debate about this.

That’s a great question. What I see as different is the commitment to building the staff infrastructure for recruiting, development and scouting, which he has done successfully at ULL albeit at a lower level. That plus the facilities upgrade rounding into view look hopeful to me.

Personality-wise he’s clearly not a hothead, bunker mentality guy like Muschamp. He’s way more serious, deliberate and purposeful than McElwain and doesn’t have that sarcastic chip on his shoulder that Mullen carries. He seems to have a level-5 leadership profile.

We should note that Meyer also had no P5 experience. Utah wasn’t yet in the Pac12.

I’m hopeful but not jacked like I was when Spurrier or Meyer were hired. I see Stricklin’s logic. I don’t think we can compete consistently with UGA or Bama without that support system.

We won’t know if he’s as good as Kirby, better, or as futile as Pruitt for a couple of years.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
But Meyer had 2 HC positions under his belt and one at a upper level(sorta) program in Utah. Not that Napier has a bad resume or anything like that.

Meyer was clearly special in his detailed approach at the time and had done 2 radical turnarounds. The big questions were whether his scheme would work in the SEC and could he sustain it more than a few years. Yes and no.

Meyer is a genius and a great coach, but he crumpled against Saban’s system. He won a couple, maybe learned some lessons which he carried to OSU, and Day has been able to continue. But he is central to it and cracks under pressure over time - doing stupid things is part of that. Saban manages a system. We are now following a better path.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Meyer spent 2 years at BG and 2 years at Utah.
BN spent 4 years at Louisiana.

What’s your point?
True but times have changed and leashes are shorter than 15 years ago. This could be a great hire IF he can start the ball rolling in a very short order like Meyer....I'm wondering what people see in BN that leads them to believe that he has the rare touch to get it straight(and by that I mean top 5 classes and 10 plus win seasons, championships and such.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Crete doesn't want a serious discussion. His mind is already made up and he just wants to argue others into agreeing with him. Just like a drunk in a sports bar..... oh wait.

Time will answer all the questions our so called opinions create.
Wrong I had no dog in this fight but was somewhat shocked we did not go for a superstar hire....in the end though it might not make a difference since as many of them seem to flop these days too. From what I've been told by someone in the coaching profession there was interest from several other big name coaches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator