Spring Practice (PT 2)

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n201838 said:
While the numbers are low at LB and certainly at offensive line as well, the plus side is the amount of reps some guys are getting. One way or another we and especially the coaches will find out if we have some players or not. There won't be any wondering if so and so is better than the other guy at his position. While it's not an ideal situation by any means we won't be wondering why guys are and are not getting playing time. Now if the coaches are good at developing the players with the additional reps look out....
Given the lousy O line last year, if these guys were any good don't you think they would have gotten some playing time last year?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
LagoonGator68;n201850 said:
Given the lousy O line last year, if these guys were any good don't you think they would have gotten some playing time last year?

Maybe they didn't get enough reps last year? Wishful thinking on my part I guess. But it makes me wonder because in 2013 Rod Johnson didn't get any game reps yet he was one of our better offensive linemen last year. Trust me I'm not expecting any miracles next year but if some of the guys who redshirted get a sh!t ton of reps I would hope they are at least serviceable from getting a lions share of the reps this year in spring and fall. :dunno: I guess we will have to wait and see.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n201878 said:
Maybe they didn't get enough reps last year? Wishful thinking on my part I guess. But it makes me wonder because in 2013 Rod Johnson didn't get any game reps yet he was one of our better offensive linemen last year. Trust me I'm not expecting any miracles next year but if some of the guys who redshirted get a sh!t ton of reps I would hope they are at least serviceable from getting a lions share of the reps this year in spring and fall. :dunno: I guess we will have to wait and see.

I remain hopeful, but not very. Mac really needed some help from UAB free agents and needs to be all over any graduate transfer possibilities at O line and QB. Mac did flip a juco OL from Okie St., but the kid couldn't get admitted by the Tigert Hall folks.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Marianna said:
McMillian and Anzalone both will have big years. Book it!
I remember watching one of the all star games three years ago. Two guys were head and shoulders better than the rest, VH3 and AA (then a ND commit).

He has the talent to be the best LB we've had since Spikes.

Caloosahatchee

I voted for Law!
Sep 12, 2014
Thought this was interesting as well:

McCalister said the players have already bought into McElwain and the new coaching staff. “It’s been a complete 180,” he said. “Coming in, coaches change, everybody’s like, ‘What is going to happen?’ Coach Mac and the staff he brought in here is amazing. It’s so much more energetic. It’s alive. You’re ready to practice now, you’re ready to go to meetings. You know what I’m saying? It’s like a real good turnaround. It’s great for us and the coaches. They love it, too. It’s fun. Toward the end of winter workouts and the start of spring, you could tell everybody was all go. Full go the whole time.”

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Law98gator;n202031 said:
I remember watching one of the all star games three years ago. Two guys were head and shoulders better than the rest, VH3 and AA (then a ND commit).

I agree 100% Law. He has it all to be really successful and I expect him to show it this season. I actually was hoping to see him getting significant playing time last year but for whatever reason that didn't happen.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Marianna said:
hoping to see him getting significant playing time last year but for whatever reason that didn't happen.

We seem to be wondering that a lot about quite a few of our players.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n202031 said:

I'm hoping AA can take over at middle and the dog whisperer can move outside. Just seems like he was more natural there during his freshman year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm just hoping dog whisperer, Jarrad, and Rolin can get and stay healthy enough to play at all. Hell, Anzalone is on that list too.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
How about we just not play any LB's and we just play 7 DB's and 4 DL's? Or maybe 6 DB's and 5 DL's?

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n202279 said:
How about we just not play any LB's and we just play 7 DB's and 4 DL's? Or maybe 6 DB's and 5 DL's?
You figured out dawgchamps sneaky plan, that was short circuited by getting fired. That is why he recruited lots of DB's and DL and a token LB. He was planning to revolutionize defensive football with his brilliance that could only be pulled off as Head Coach, because every time he mentioned his plan to the HC where he was, he was either sent packing or laughed off.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's funny that we used to laugh at Randy Shannon for taking 9 LBs in a class. Now we are in the same boat, sort of.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n202291 said:
It's funny that we used to laugh at Randy Shannon for taking 9 LBs in a class. No we are in the same boat, sort of.

UM, that era,... obviously that was a cube of marijuana.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Marianna said:
I agree 100% Law. He has it all to be really successful and I expect him to show it this season. I actually was hoping to see him getting significant playing time last year but for whatever reason that didn't happen.

He did get some reps at the end of the year last year and I thought he played well. He was flying to the ball and getting in on running plays but I don't recall how he did in pass coverage. He's got a good amount of athletic ability for sure and decent size to play inside.

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
I believe that we are on the right track with Big Mac. I think this year we can expect a 8-4 season and then it should turn around. I really like what I hear coming out of this Spring.

ufgator2002

Bleeds Orange and Blue
Aug 11, 2014
Marianna said:
McMillian and Anzalone both will have big years. Book it!

Don't count out Matt Rolin either, kid is hungry and was a beast in high school

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
ufgator2002;n202690 said:
Don't count out Matt Rolin either, kid is hungry and was a beast in high school

Admit it, you just like to use any opportunity to count.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.