Spring Practice (PT 2)

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Durty South Swamp;n205272 said:
I think we need to temper expectations for this year. Between the WR, QB and OL issues, we may not be much different on offense this year than last. I hope we get some freshman some solid playing time so that next year we have a decent shot at competing.

Solid post Durty. I would rather see more freshmen and redshirt freshmen get real playing time, not just mop up duty. I hate to say it but I think some of our 2nd and 3rd year guys might just not really be all that good.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
WobbleGator;n205254 said:
Proof or it didn't happen.

Didn't you watch the UF pro day today? The scouting report on Jones says he needs a huge hole to run through.....:lol:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n205280 said:
Didn't you watch the UF pro day today? The scouting report on Jones says he needs a huge hole to run through.....:lol:

Jones has the size and speed, he just doesn't have the natural balance and instincts of the truly great RBs.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
NavetG8r;n205286 said:
Jones has the size and speed, he just doesn't have the natural balance and instincts of the truly great RBs.

Nav, my post was in fun at a long running dispute between Gator Fever and Wobble regarding Matt Jones. BTW 4.69 isn't really all that good of speed for a RB but I'm sure somebody will draft him.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n205289 said:
BTW 4.69 isn't really all that good of speed for a RB but I'm sure somebody will draft him.

Wow, yeah I thought he was more in the 4.5 range.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, Jones isn't very powerful or shifty but at least he is slow.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n205292 said:
Wow, yeah I thought he was more in the 4.5 range.

I know it's the mullet wrapper, but Robbie reported that Jones ran a 4.53 at pro day.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n205317 said:
Well, Jones isn't very powerful or shifty but at least he is slow.

He'll be fine. Or at least he'll fit in with all those cool looking dread guys.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorBart;n205372 said:
I know it's the mullet wrapper, but Robbie reported that Jones ran a 4.53 at pro day.
His first two steps take 4.53.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Some guy at 24/7 is saying he saw the most recent scrimmage and said Guy looked the best out of the QBs to him that Grier and Morningwheg were having to take off running most plays while Guy was finding the check down guy or a receiver usually. Said it was happening so fast he didn't know how much each QB was going against the 1st team defense etc. I guess Harris missed practice that day due to that family death also.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n205512 said:
Some guy at 24/7 is saying he saw the most recent scrimmage and said Guy looked the best out of the QBs to him that Grier and Morningwheg were having to take off running most plays while Guy was finding the check down guy or a receiver usually. Said it was happening so fast he didn't know how much each QB was going against the 1st team defense etc. I guess Harris missed practice that day due to that family death also.

Linky-dinky? Is Some Guy related to Jacob? Hmmmmm.....

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;205673 said:
Linky-dinky? Is Some Guy related to Jacob? Hmmmmm.....

I'm pretty sure it's a comment on an insider message board. No different than our comments. We don't know anything…

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Concrete Helmet;n205123 said:
The part that gives me the most grief is the part about receivers dropping balls. Everything else is/was beyond the new coaching staffs control. I am somewhat ok with offensive linemen getting beat, even suspect QB play because there really isn't a lot of experience there.....but dropping the f#cking ball is starting to piss me off. That's not on coaching either, that's players losing concentration......repeatedly...

Unless I read it wrong, what got me on that report was the fact that some of the drops were against AIR routes. smh

​
Concrete Helmet;n205275 said:
I would rather see more freshmen and redshirt freshmen get real playing time, not just mop up duty. I hate to say it but I think some of our 2nd and 3rd year guys might just not really be all that good.

Makes me wonder on the upper classmen - do they lack the talent, or were they never developed and now are harder to develop or bring along than an investment in the younger guys. I honestly don't know how much talent is in the upper classes, and how much of our rotation next year will be writing those guys off in an effort to build for the future.

Gator Fever;n205512 said:

Biggest thing I took from that article was that Harris wasn't there which in my mind automatically makes Guy look better (not saying Harris is all that, just there is a void of competition and comparison while he is out). I can't knock Guy, don't know anything more than you guys and what we get from a few articles, but it appeared to me the pump up on Guy was during the void of Harris' family issues. I didn't see the part about the reporter not knowing how much each QB was against the 1st team defense, but that may also play into who looks better than whom.

Sgt. Schultz

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2015
It might be time to recognize that there is a reason that UF has a new coach, and it's not solely because the past coach was a bad one. It might be that there is a problem with the talent level at Florida. It may be that UF has again missed at the quarterback position, and is no better off than when Brantley and Driskel were in Gainesville. It's hard to win when your quarterback can't do the most important aspect o the job, and that's being accurate. Accuracy is not something you can teach, you either are or you aren't. Maybe it's time for some of you to revise your expectations of when UF becomes a good team again. If UF's quarterback situation is no better than the past five years, where does that leave UF? Does UF start a true freshman in 2016? It's possible that a true freshman can come in and shine. We saw that happen at Miami and Clemson with Kayaa and Watson. But, normally, it's not a recipe for success to tot out a true freshman under center. First of all, UF needs to get a quarterback for the 2016 class, they're going off the board fast, UF had better not wait and have to scramble like last year, when they came up empty. Sheirron Jones said McElwain didn't even give him a call after he was hired, what's up with that? Perhaps McElwain should be given more time than the one year that many seem to think is all that's necessary to make Florida a good team, a look at the roster he inherited finds that it's severely lacking in good players, especially on the offensive side of the ball. The blame has been placed on the coaching, but what coach is going to win with the likes of Brantley, Driskel, and possibly the latest overrated player, Grier? UF winning 11 games with Jeff Driskel at the helm has to be one of the best coaching jobs ever.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Sgt. Schultz;n205815 said:
It might be time to recognize that there is a reason that UF has a new coach, and it's not solely because the past coach was a bad one. It might be that there is a problem with the talent level at Florida. It may be that UF has again missed at the quarterback position, and is no better off than when Brantley and Driskel were in Gainesville.... The blame has been placed on the coaching, but what coach is going to win with the likes of Brantley, Driskel, and possibly the latest overrated player, Grier? UF winning 11 games with Jeff Driskel at the helm has to be one of the best coaching jobs ever.

Who recruited those players?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.